Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectP.J. Williams, Florida State (6'0, 184)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2398536&mesg_id=2402508
2402508, P.J. Williams, Florida State (6'0, 184)
Posted by will_5198, Tue Dec-23-14 01:46 PM
I was all-in on this guy watching him as a sophomore, but he leveled off badly this season. He would get worked at least a few times every game, even on routes he used to be great at. Technique-wise he seemed to completely regress: backpedal was terrible, he'd throw out jabs in press without moving his feet first, didn't play to his leverage...and so on. Florida State tried to have him "follow" certain receivers into the slot, which turned out to be a horrible idea since he can't defend a free release. It got ugly in a few games, and if his schedule had better quarterbacks he would've been undressed even more.

He still had his moments in press coverage, mainly against go routes and fades. At his best, he can throttle any receiver off the line (much longer arms than his height would indicate) and make the throwing window impossibly small downfield. He's strictly a boundary corner though, and lacks the new-age size the NFL likes from those types. Add on his struggles from this year and with all optimism I think he could sneak into round two. That's based on his 2013 performance, though, since he played like a fifth rounder this past fall. No longer much of a fan.

+ The best fade defender in college football and can disrupt anybody running a nine route
+ Solid awareness in off-coverage, saw some route combos before they happened
- I doubt he's as tall as his listed height, may even be in 5'10 territory
- Waist-grabber downfield and gave up too much late separation
- Zero on-field improvement and got away with a drunk hit-and-run during the season....might be full of himself after early success