Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBrandon Scherff, Iowa (6'5, 320)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2398536&mesg_id=2402495
2402495, Brandon Scherff, Iowa (6'5, 320)
Posted by will_5198, Tue Dec-23-14 01:38 PM
Keep him at left tackle and he'll be a bust. Depending on how your line is set-up, he should play right tackle or guard, although he has a nasty habit of giving up pressure/penetration to his inside shoulder (even when he's flanked to the outside and doesn't have to worry about the speed rush). So shifting him next to center is not going to be a slam dunk fix to his protection issues.

What you're paying for is the most dominant zone blocker in the country -- once he releases downhill, he wipes out the second level. Defensive ends get carried into the sideline. Linebackers have no chance. He can even reach safeties playing out of the box. His 10-yard split must be crazy, because he fires off the snap better than anybody. Super strong too (he'll probably put up huge bench numbers).

In the passing game the news is not so good. His athleticism is all straight-ahead; when he has to dance around he's clunky. His technique also needs to be perfect every snap, because he can't recover if his feet get a step too far outside. Even at right tackle he's going to have some long Sundays. I'm not down with burning a top ten pick on a guard, especially since his value is tied into run blocking and this is a deep class at tackle. He'll go in the first, but I'd skip him myself.

+ Instant running game upgrade
+ Rare lineman who can pancake NFL defenders while on the move
- Short arms; gets overpowered by smaller linebackers with wingspan
- Scheme-hidden and faced a bunch of weak defensive fronts this season