Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectone of the weirder prospects I watched this season.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2398536&mesg_id=2399145
2399145, one of the weirder prospects I watched this season.
Posted by will_5198, Sat Dec-13-14 02:16 PM
He's got the mindset of Warren Sapp in the body of Gilbert Brown. Most of the time he's not even playing two gaps, but single-blocked and trying to get into the backfield in a really awkward way.

They ran a bunch of stunts with him, which were a waste of time...until he would bizarrely make a big TFL after plodding around the corner. He's strong -- really strong -- and usually tries to walk back or throw off linemen (although he shows a developing rip move). Often though, he stands up doing that, and despite his nose tackle size he can lose against doubles or get blown back by a smaller player when forgets leverage.

He dominated in college with an unorthodox style, but I don't think he'll get away with the same tricks in the NFL. Still valuable as a relentless two-gap nose tackle. Second round valuable.

+ Rare size for a NFL that's getting leaner defensively
+ Incredible stamina; most of his plays are second-effort despite a high number of snaps
+ Makes an inordinate number of solo tackles for a tackle his size
- Inconsistent doing what he'd be best at...occupying double teams
- Not the freak athlete his counting stats suggest; seven of his nine sacks were against Hawaii, Eastern Washington and Georgia State