Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectJets fans - Draft Mariota/Jameis or trade for RGIII?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2390640
2390640, Jets fans - Draft Mariota/Jameis or trade for RGIII?
Posted by KosherSam, Sun Nov-16-14 10:32 PM
The situation in DC is starting to look untenable for him.

Do you take a chance with one of the kids or trade for the oft-injured guy who was a better prospect out of college and could get got at a discount?
2390642, RE: Jets fans - Draft Mariota <- YOU CANT HAVE HIM HES OURS!
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sun Nov-16-14 10:34 PM
titans better end up w/a better pick than yall.
2390646, I'll have you know, he can't read defenses. Just a heads up.
Posted by Tiger Woods, Sun Nov-16-14 10:39 PM
2390650, Mariota is exactly like RGIII, guys.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Sun Nov-16-14 10:44 PM

He's a rail thin super athlete. People saying Aaron Rodgers
are wishing on a star. Just, no.

Super gimmicky system, and I don't seem much of an edge.

Just smooth and artistic.

Jameis is Tom Brady 2.0, if he doesn't ruin his life
with dumbness.
2390677, LOL @ this comparison
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Sun Nov-16-14 11:56 PM
>Jameis is Tom Brady 2.0, if he doesn't ruin his life
>with dumbness.
>

2390736, If he was white, we'd say it. They are exactly alike.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Nov-17-14 10:18 AM
>>Jameis is Tom Brady 2.0, if he doesn't ruin his life
>>with dumbness.

Except Jameis is obviously more mobile, though hardly a
scrambler. Jameis is cerebral, accurate, and cool as a cucumber
under pressure. Like Brady, Jameis is fiery as hell to his
teammates, is a natural leader.

We need to stop the racial pigeonholing when it comes to
comparisons.
2390746, FWIW, I don't think the objection to the comparison was race-based
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 10:52 AM
I think the objection is that Brady is one of the 5 best QBs of all time, so comparing Jameis to him seems a bit hyperbolic, like saying that Todd Gurley is the next Walter Payton if his knee heals.
2390766, Anyone who thinks I was saying that is an imbecile.
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Nov-17-14 11:37 AM

There's no way anyone predict that level of good. That's
obviously not the point.

I'm talking about how he looks; the type of pocket passer,
strengths, etc.

We're all obviously guessing. But we scout and call on
similarities because we analyze characteristics

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2390904, except when he's throwing int's
Posted by 3xKrazy, Mon Nov-17-14 02:28 PM
> Jameis is cerebral, accurate, and cool as a
>cucumber

Admittedly I haven't watched Winston against the Wake Forest's and Bethune Cookman's of the world but every time I've seen Winston in a showcase game (with the exception of last year's Clemson game, maybe) he's made some horrible throws/int's under duress.

I'm not a firm believer in Mariota's NFL prospects either but I'd rather take a chance on him than Winston.
2390905, Well, he was obviously better last year
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Nov-17-14 02:35 PM
>> Jameis is cerebral, accurate, and cool as a
>>cucumber
>
>Admittedly I haven't watched Winston against the Wake Forest's
>and Bethune Cookman's of the world but every time I've seen
>Winston in a showcase game (with the exception of last year's
>Clemson game, maybe) he's made some horrible throws/int's
>under duress.

I mean, he barely shows up in the first half in most
games this year

Early on, he's thinking about all the bad publicity, plays
like shit

The minute he forgets and plays football, he becomes the
best QB in the country again

Zero scouts have any doubt about his ability

>I'm not a firm believer in Mariota's NFL prospects either but
>I'd rather take a chance on him than Winston.

Well, for off the field reasons, yes

Mariota looks very RG3-Sam Bradford to me

The latter was an Andrew-Luck caliber shoe in

He just doesn't seem to have *it* in the NFL

Especially with that gimmick offense..I don't trust it

Some guys have it, some don't
2390722, thus the dilemma
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 09:21 AM
Mariota reminds me of RGIII in body type, and I'm leery of him being a system QB who doesn't face good defenses.

Jameis looks like he has all the tools, but putting someone that dumb in New York City is a recipe for disaster.

RGIII gets hurt too much, and his development has been stunted by the coaches in DC and his early success in a dumbed-down system

whichever choice the Jets make will be the wrong one, because it's the Jets. I might prefer Hundley over all of em, but I haven't seen enough of him.

I suppose it's a pipe dream for Gurley to slip to the second round with this injury...
2390674, Absolutely no to Jameis/RG3
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Sun Nov-16-14 11:52 PM
>The situation in DC is starting to look untenable for him.
>
>Do you take a chance with one of the kids or trade for the
>oft-injured guy who was a better prospect out of college and
>could get got at a discount?

And I dont know enough about Mariota.
2390683, I'm Leaning Towards RGIII
Posted by RexLongfellow, Mon Nov-17-14 12:08 AM
Hopefully he'll have a good OC...at least you know with him when he's on, look out

With another rookie QB, it's such a gamble.

And it's hilarious to think that the QB is the problem in DC, when all 3 of their QB's looked terrible behind the O-Line
2390696, Robert was a better prospect coming out?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Nov-17-14 12:59 AM
2390723, is that even debateable?
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 09:31 AM
coming into the draft, RG3 was considered much more of a sure thing than either Mariota or Jameis.
2390709, RE: Jets fans - Draft Mariota/Jameis or trade for RGIII?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 02:57 AM
Jets have no business drafting a QB early. None at all. The team is full of holes, they need oline, wide receiver, secondary and a motherfucking edge rusher first and fucking foremost.

pardon the language
2390725, I wanted this season to be Poop For Cooper, but the Harvin trade nixed it
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 09:34 AM
Decker and Harvin aren't gonna set the world on fire, but with the two of them on the roster, they aren't gonna spend a top 5 pick on Cooper.

O-line and DB are definitely a need, but I think the team doesn't want to go into another season with Vick/Geno as their options, and will likely try again at landing a franchise QB. Brady is obviously the exception, but pretty much all the other elite QBs in the league were first or second round choices.
2390726, RE: I wanted this season to be Poop For Cooper, but the Harvin trade nixed it
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 09:51 AM
I just think it's the stupidest move they could make. Get your team to the point where a young QB can come in and actually have a chance to prosper, THEN you draft him! Unless it's someone like Andrew Luck, and there is no such person in this draft.

I have seen almost every game Mariota has played and he is good but he is not as good as RG3 and look what happened to him because he went to a team that mortgaged everythign to get him and thus the roster has been bare for pretty much the whole time.

I see what you are saying about WR but still, the Jets should get an offensive lineman, a cornerback/safety or an edge rusher in the first round and be much better off than getting a QB.
2390732, I think the*real* priority should be CB/OL/QB in that order
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 10:08 AM
the front 7 is good on defense, but the secondary is atrocious. Pryor is still learning and Milliner is hurt again. Getting a top flight corner is a high priority, but I don't know if anyone is good enough to go with a top 5 pick. Maybe they trade down?

OL would be a need too, but linemen are easier to get in later rounds or free agency. It would be a luxury pick.

If you look at the top 10 in passing yards this season, Brady is an outlier, Brees was the first pick of the second round, and the other 8 guys were first round picks, including three #1 overall and seven that were picked in the top 11 spots.

I agree that you need protection for a QB to succeed, but many of those elite guys don't necessarily have lines that are populated with top 10 picks.
2390775, RE: I think the*real* priority should be CB/OL/QB in that order
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 12:01 PM
>the front 7 is good on defense, but the secondary is
>atrocious. Pryor is still learning and Milliner is hurt again.
>Getting a top flight corner is a high priority, but I don't
>know if anyone is good enough to go with a top 5 pick. Maybe
>they trade down?

Seems smart. Ikpre-Olomu would be worth trading down for, I definitely wouldn't pick him that high. But no harm in trading down this team needs talent infusions everywhere

>
>OL would be a need too, but linemen are easier to get in later
>rounds or free agency. It would be a luxury pick.
>

You sound like Jerry Reese right there. I'm talking about go and get a franchise tackle. You don't just find those in the middle rounds unless you are trying to get real lucky

>If you look at the top 10 in passing yards this season, Brady
>is an outlier, Brees was the first pick of the second round,
>and the other 8 guys were first round picks, including three
>#1 overall and seven that were picked in the top 11 spots.
>
>I agree that you need protection for a QB to succeed, but many
>of those elite guys don't necessarily have lines that are
>populated with top 10 picks.

Rodgers line is doing well this year and he is also the best QB in the NFL so hard to compare. But they have expended resources on the line with mixed results: a 1st for Derrick Sherrod, who never recovered from injuries and a first for Brian Buluga who is their starting right tackle

Romo's line is great, a lot of draft picks expended there.

Brady has a young 1st round pick at LT in Nate Solder and a young 2nd round pick at RT in Vollmer

Steelers have young first round pick at LT, young first round pick at LG, young first round pick at center, and spent a 2nd on RT Mike Adams who lost his job but provides needed depth

Detroit Lions have a young first round pick at LT

Chargers have a young first round pick at RT

Colts have a young first round pick at LT and a young 2nd round pick at LG, basically locking up Luck's blindside

The idea that you don't need stud olinemen if you have a great QB is a myth IMO. Also, I am going to need someone to give me an example of a great veteran QB who developed into what he is behind a garbage oline. I can't think of a single one.

It's one thing for great veteran QBs to be able to somewhat navigate a mediocre oline. It is another thing altogether to ask a kid to make that transition to the NFL game while constantly under pressure.

2390796, the teams you listed got the QB first, then the linemen
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 12:13 PM
that's why you're naming veteran QBs with young stud tackles.

the jets have a still-near-elite LT in Brick, and a still-elite C in Mangold. It's the rest of the line that sucks. Taking a second stud LT to play RT for a couple of years until Brick fades would be a luxury. I'd rather see them take a Guard in the 3rd or 4th round.
2390815, RE: the teams you listed got the QB first, then the linemen
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 12:28 PM
Those QBs came to teams with good offensive lines though! Then they replensihed them.

What QB's have managed to develop well behind shitty olines?

Brick is still good but he is old, Mangold is not a spring chicken anymore either. Chances of both of vets staying healthy year in and year out are not that great and this team has no depth.

I say get the best player available that is NOT QB/RB/TE/anymore 3-4 dlinemen
2390820, the Colts?
Posted by will_5198, Mon Nov-17-14 12:36 PM
>Those QBs came to teams with good offensive lines though!
>Then they replensihed them.

when Luck was a rookie:

Castonzo was very much up-and-down in his second year starting. left guard was a rotation of undrafted free agents. McGlynn is a stop-gap guard at best. Steele is a journeyman. WINSTON JUSTICE WAS THE STARTING RIGHT TACKLE.

so not very good at all (bottom ten that year in sacks allowed and rushing YPA). and it was a big priority the next off-season.
2390825, RE: the Colts?
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 12:45 PM
A) He was talking about veteran QB's

B) It's already said that if you had a chance at an Andrew Luck, sure you take him. But that player is not in this draft.

I fundamentally disagree that the only way to build a contender is by continually hoping to draft an "elite" QB. Build your roster and the rest will come. Drafting QB's who still need some development onto garbage teams and then immediately pressing them into starting duty has paid off for whom, exactly?
2390884, Rapistburger used to be running for his life
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 01:51 PM
his line was TERRIBLE.

most of these guys were top ten picks, so they went to bad teams. bad teams are generally bad across the board.
2390893, RE: Rapistburger used to be running for his life
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 02:11 PM
I think you are thinking of the Steelers lines in the MIDDLE of Ben's career.

He came to a team with:

Marvel Smith at LT (Pro-Bowler)
Alan Faneca at OG (one of the very best interior linemen of his era)
Jeff Hartings at Center (Pro Bowler)

and they drafted an impact LT in the same draft, who the next year became their starter and they won the SB.

Fact is, that Steelers team was loaded on D, had Cowher at coach, and a full complement of offensive talent. They went 15-1 in Ben's rookie year and he was just a game manager who was not even supposed to start until Maddox got hurt.

I fail to see how this compares.

But like I said, I just fundamentally disagree with the idea that how you win in the NFL is getting an "elite" QB and all other endeavours should come second that that.

Reason being that finding a QB of that caliber coming out of college is a very hard and even then it's a crapshoot as to how they will do in the NFL. Just get the best player available at one of your positions of serious need, of which the Jets have probably 5.

A team like the Cardinals is in a great place. They could go get a veteran QB or draft someone and put them in an ideal situation to succeed, because they have built their team's foundation. Teams like the Redskins, Bears, Jags and are garbage because they go shopping for QB's when their teams dont have the parts to help the QB be successful.

2390797, Ikpre-Olomu is a second rounder...maybe third
Posted by will_5198, Mon Nov-17-14 12:13 PM
>Seems smart. Ikpre-Olomu would be worth trading down for, I
>definitely wouldn't pick him that high. But no harm in trading
>down this team needs talent infusions everywhere
2390729, I agree it's unlikely now, but I still want Cooper
Posted by rjc27, Mon Nov-17-14 09:57 AM
Unless they feel THAT strongly on mariota or winston... which I don't at the moment... love Winston the player, trouble getting over how much dumb shit he's done, Mariotta turns the ball over too much for me, that's a jet disaster

@rob_starrk
2390733, Cooper imo is hands down the best NFL player in this draft
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Nov-17-14 10:09 AM
dude is a monster
2390765, If That's The Case, You Gotta Take Him
Posted by RexLongfellow, Mon Nov-17-14 11:30 AM
If he's THAT type of WR (a la Megatron), then you can't pass him up. I hear you having Harvin and Decker isn't a need, but having those 2 AND Cooper might make any QB's job a lot easier

I think you can get a good/great CB in the 2nd round, or even look in the FA market (assuming Idzik wants to look).

If we actually get that type of player in the draft, it almost makes sense to see if RGIII is up for grabs. Our OL isn't special, but it isn't terrible either. It's tough to ask for an o-line to protect the QB when our QB can't find the open man, AND our WR's can't get any sort of separation.
2390784, RE: If That's The Case, You Gotta Take Him
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 12:07 PM
>If he's THAT type of WR (a la Megatron), then you can't pass
>him up. I hear you having Harvin and Decker isn't a need, but
>having those 2 AND Cooper might make any QB's job a lot
>easier
>
>I think you can get a good/great CB in the 2nd round, or even
>look in the FA market (assuming Idzik wants to look).
>
>If we actually get that type of player in the draft, it almost
>makes sense to see if RGIII is up for grabs. Our OL isn't
>special, but it isn't terrible either. It's tough to ask for
>an o-line to protect the QB when our QB can't find the open
>man, AND our WR's can't get any sort of separation.

I like Cooper, if they take him, fine.

But receivers will get open if you have all day to pass and anyone can find a veteran QB who can find/hit the open man. Shit, that's the reason Buffalo made Orton the starter and Carson Palmer can be replaced by Drew Stanton and nothing changes.

Meanwhile RG3 has been ridden into the ground behind a terrible oline and a bare cupboard of a roster.

Jets draft a QB in the first round get ready to be shitty for quite a while.
2390875, I hope they do... Harvin is always an injury away
Posted by rjc27, Mon Nov-17-14 01:38 PM
from us having the same wr core we had to open this season
2390728, RGIII easily the superior 1 when he was at his best, but at this point..
Posted by rjc27, Mon Nov-17-14 09:56 AM
I feel like he's ruined... I mean he can still emerge from this mess, but damn, he's looked like shit this year when he's played
2390767, I don't think you want Jameis anywhere near NYC.
Posted by BennyTenStack, Mon Nov-17-14 11:37 AM
He'll be arrested or accused of something insane before the season starts.
2390793, the fact that RGIII is even a topic of discussion
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Nov-17-14 12:11 PM
is more cash being wired to me for Counteragenda victory, particularly for those Buttskins fans/anti-CLE agendanizers who siced their org as being better than that of the Browns, because Joe Gibbs's teams won back when the Smurfs were airing in first-run on TV.
2390841, From one dysfunctional organization to another
Posted by The Real, Mon Nov-17-14 12:56 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2390879, what offense is he gonna run?
Posted by Awburn, Mon Nov-17-14 01:44 PM
he'd be on his 3rd offense in three years. he is not picking up this offense quickly, so that bodes poorly for him and the NY media would crush him. If you overpay to acquire him and make him the savior, things will not go well

he is gonna be good for someone after he leaves DC, i am not sure NY is the place.
2390906, FOR ONCE . . . JUST FOR ONCE . . . .
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Mon Nov-17-14 02:38 PM
I would like for Jets front office to heed the red flags/warning signs. Just once! Is that too much to ask?
2390908, RE: FOR ONCE . . . JUST FOR ONCE . . . .
Posted by COOLEHMAGAZINE, Mon Nov-17-14 02:45 PM
Well, in fairness, they did with Alshon Jeffery and look where that got them.