Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAbsolutely every coach *should*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2357468&mesg_id=2509892
2509892, Absolutely every coach *should*
Posted by Walleye, Thu Jan-14-16 04:13 PM
I'm guessing the amount of coaches that are as thoughtful about their roster, the tension between winning and developing players, and the background of their athletes is lower than we'd guess. Mitchell doesn't just come off as smart here - he comes off as thoughtful and willing to approach problems with "what is going on here?" instead of "I know what's going on here!"

So, take the relatively small batch of coaches in any sport that are actually capable of doing something this free-wheeling and then divide that again to find the ones who are in a situation where this level of candor ("We are relying on him to shoot jumpers, we are relying on him in the post. It is a lot for a 20-year old. Welcome to my world.") wouldn't get them in hot shit with their organization, their players, and/or their players' agents. And you're really looking at only a handful of guys.

Since I brought up my team - Molitor has the first qualifications. I don't think he'd come by his liberty the same way Mitchell has, but the effect is the same and I think he'd also have this kind of freedom. Molitor got his by being a Minnesota legend in command of a shitty team that showed signs of life under him. He's got license. Mitchell seems to have just claimed his, which is more impressive but is freighted with more risk.