Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWiz kids & Trillsap cut from Team USA.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2356574
2356574, Wiz kids & Trillsap cut from Team USA.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Aug-04-14 07:53 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA · 1h
USA Basketball cut Washington's John Wall, Bradley Beal and Atlanta's Paul Millsap today, sources told Yahoo Sports.

i thought Beal played well in the scrimmage. Wall was horrible though.
2356576, Cool hopefully they're on some revenge shit during the season
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Aug-04-14 07:55 PM
2356680, yeah its a win win
Posted by Awburn, Tue Aug-05-14 09:00 AM
rest those legs, take out revenge on the east.

surprised about brad, but he still has a lot of growing to do.

----------
"To face that guy twice a year is going to be a headache…He takes away from your enthusiasm for the game a little bit." Justin Tuck on RG3
2356577, I thought Johnny was turning the corner. Oh well..
Posted by Beezo, Mon Aug-04-14 08:10 PM
2356578, This has zero reflection on his game.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon Aug-04-14 08:15 PM
His strengths just aren't valued with the way Colangelo and K construct their teams. Same way Rondo wasn't valued.
Hopefully he realizes it & quits wasting his time & summer.
2356589, Agreed. KBadd broke it down well on the last Fiyastarter.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Aug-04-14 08:54 PM
Essentially, K likes guys for these teams that can play the 1 or the 2 (or, given the height, the 2 or the 3). Wall can't play the 2. Beal can't play the 1.

Has nothing to do with their play. They were both better last year than the year before and they'll be better this year than last. Just the type of roster K likes for these things.
2356654, system player
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Aug-05-14 06:42 AM
2356655, Not making this team is a pretty sure indication of his ceiling
Posted by bshelly, Tue Aug-05-14 06:49 AM
Like, he's never going to be a top ten player. If he had that kind of game, he would be on the team after his fourth year in the league, fit be damned. When you're that good, fit doesn't matter.

He'll consistently make the all star team in the east, but as an alpha dog, he tops out at 1 or 2 third team all nba seasons.
2356656, he's good, but he plays one way.
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Aug-05-14 07:20 AM

wall like a dude who runs the same plays over and over again on madden, but does it at such a high level he's able to win most of his games.

push the ball up and finish for a score or foul

push the ball up and hit the trailer or the wing that's flared out to the corner

cross court pass off the pick

i see him do that stuff over and over. it's like a video game pattern.

but when it ain't there...man, he can be bad.

still can't do halfcourt. that's primarily why he didn't make it. all that running stuff is over. we can't beat the best teams around the world like that any more. that 2000 barely got by. and we know what happened with 2004...AI and marbury ain't run past a damned thing.
2356674, If running a team as a point guard is the system....sure.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 08:49 AM
2356671, Kyrie over Wall is not an argument i wanna get in here, but
Posted by rjc27, Tue Aug-05-14 08:48 AM
Wall is a better fit for this team plain and simple, they have plenty of shooting, Wall is a way better defender, I don't get this at all, oh, wait, coach K, nevermind

@rob_starrk
2356673, he had a week of practice and a televised scrimmage to prove that
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Aug-05-14 08:49 AM
and he was the worst point guard there.

explain.
2356676, BUT HE RUNS FAST AND JUMPS GOOD
Posted by bshelly, Tue Aug-05-14 08:55 AM
2356828, god damn, Kyrie's name is like the bat signal to you
Posted by rjc27, Tue Aug-05-14 01:05 PM
come out the blue quick!
2356675, It is really that simple. But at least Kyrie is good at basketball.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 08:52 AM
>oh, wait, coach K, nevermind

The Plum-li though?
2356683, Plum prolly had a better week at point guard than wall, too. *shrug*
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Aug-05-14 09:15 AM
and he actually balled in the scrimmage.

2356686, As did Chris Collins too right? You read that in Blue a Devil Bulletin?
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 09:18 AM
And if Plumlee balling includes not playing defense, fouling, but catching a few alley oops......where do I sign up for the bandwagon for Birdman light?
2356688, Once healthy D-Rose showed up Wall's fate was sealed, based on...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-05-14 09:19 AM
past history with K and Team USA a healthy Rose and Curry were locks to make the team. Rose was the starting PG on the 2010 WC team and Curry was there too plus Curry is probably the best shooting PG in the NBA.

There was no way Coach K was going to pick Wall over Kyrie. He's never hesitation to lean towards his Duke guys and guys he's familiar with since he's been running Team USA.

Lillard has an outside chance because of his shooting ability he can possibly play off the ball at the 2.
2356685, Boxscore...proving how bad Wall was.
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Aug-05-14 09:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/F9IwFci.png

and this was after a week a practice where he was the consensus worse GUARD, not just PG, there.
2356691, Thanks for this, I've been looking for the box.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 09:26 AM
He played horrible in the scrimmage. I even said the same during the scrimmage.

We're probably even saying the same thing.

He's the truest pg of that bunch and what he does well (run a team) isn't valued by this Team USA coaching staff.

He'd be a better fit if he was an off the ball guy too and more versatile. But he's not. He's a pg and that's it. When he doesn't have the ball. He's not cutting. He's waiting for somebody to pass it back to him so he can make a play. In this case dudes like Hayward were looking him off and shooting.

He'll just never fit with this coaching staff. Same way Rondo didn't.
2356694, he's not good in halfcourt, man
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Aug-05-14 09:31 AM
2356710, He is, but with the ball in his hand. He's not a good spectator.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 10:10 AM
2356736, sounds like marbury.
Posted by Cenario, Tue Aug-05-14 10:50 AM
2356761, Marbury just wanted to shoot towards the middle of his career.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 11:21 AM
John wants to make a play and get others involved.
2356776, in the middle of his career steph was avg 8 dimes a game.
Posted by Cenario, Tue Aug-05-14 11:56 AM
2356784, Because he could pass as well.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 12:01 PM
John is often a reluctant scorer and works the offense trying to look for others.

Marbury never really had a problem playing off the ball. That meant he could go for 40 just because.
2357052, Marbury was a far better shooter, natural scorer & half court player so far
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Aug-06-14 05:39 AM
Wall did a good job of getting his three-ball better over last offseason but he still doesn't score easy, hasn't really learned to switch speeds or play well in half court which was painfully obvious in the Indiana series.

He's a better athlete, willing defender and distributor than Marbury.

However the best he was going to do in FIBA this year is be asked to add 7-9 minutes of darting up and down the court while running opponents ragged.

Wall is a warrior tho and wants to get better so he will, he's already won more playoff series than Steph did in his entire career.
2356698, Damn, cuz put in work
Posted by bshelly, Tue Aug-05-14 09:44 AM
I've been on the Plumlee is acceptable train. I need to reconsider
2356701, i don't see the either/or option there anyway.
Posted by Basaglia, Tue Aug-05-14 09:48 AM
2356705, yeah, i'm thinking Drummond is the guy to leave behind
Posted by bshelly, Tue Aug-05-14 09:51 AM
which sucks, because Drummond could probably benefit huge from the experience and real hoops fans should all want him to reach his potential.

but if cuz is down to play 15 minutes per and do Good Bamma Things? that's a fricking asset.
2356758, Same. I'm starting to think it was a classic Windhorst cyse.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Aug-05-14 11:19 AM
He knew Plumlee was getting real consideration and put the proven name with the biggest college fan base against it. Instant clicks.
2357046, Love is rejoining the team after the trade on the 24th, book it
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Aug-06-14 05:12 AM
The deal had already been done, Bron/Gilbert/Taylor already told Love, Bron/Love talked to K, he got a pass to miss Vegas but he and Brow will be the starting front-court for FIFA.

So the Boogie/Plumlee battle will prolly end up being an either/ or thing.

He'll prolly go Plumlee but I'd rather it be Cuz.
2357064, lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-06-14 08:10 AM
>The deal had already been done, Bron/Gilbert/Taylor already
>told Love, Bron/Love talked to K, he got a pass to miss Vegas
>but he and Brow will be the starting front-court for FIFA.

KD has been the starting 4 on the last 2 Team USA evolutions, nothings changing, lol.

>So the Boogie/Plumlee battle will prolly end up being an
>either/ or thing.
>
>He'll prolly go Plumlee but I'd rather it be Cuz.
2357086, RE: lol...
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Aug-06-14 09:48 AM
>>The deal had already been done, Bron/Gilbert/Taylor already
>>told Love, Bron/Love talked to K, he got a pass to miss
>Vegas
>>but he and Brow will be the starting front-court for FIFA.
>
>KD has been the starting 4 on the last 2 Team USA evolutions,
>nothings changing, lol.
>
Nothing's changed except Brow getting here and our small forward just nearly lost his foot.

AD/KLove/Durant is the front court vs Spain
>
>>So the Boogie/Plumlee battle will prolly end up being an
>>either/ or thing.
>>
>>He'll prolly go Plumlee but I'd rather it be Cuz.
>
2357092, RE: lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-06-14 09:52 AM

>Nothing's changed except Brow getting here and our small
>forward just nearly lost his foot.
>
>AD/KLove/Durant is the front court vs Spain

Coach K has played SF's at the 4 every since he's been running things, if anything Love would be backing up AD at the 5.
2357094, Not w/that matchup but maybe u right, long as u agree hes playin we good
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Aug-06-14 10:06 AM
>
>>Nothing's changed except Brow getting here and our small
>>forward just nearly lost his foot.
>>
>>AD/KLove/Durant is the front court vs Spain
>
>Coach K has played SF's at the 4 every since he's been running
>things, if anything Love would be backing up AD at the 5.
2357114, what would be the purpose of starting Love against Spain? Defense? lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-06-14 11:37 AM
at this point I think Durant would be a better defender vs the Gasol brothers anyway.

I don't see Love joining the team and he hasn't even been in camp, I mean its not like we're talking about Lebron here, lol. Having Kevin Love on the team is not going to make us or break us, lol.

Plus with the whole PG injury and eye towards future contract money I think Love will be be content to sit this one out and comeback with the rest of the big boys at the Olympics in 2016.
2357568, RE: what would be the purpose of starting Love against Spain? Defense? lol...
Posted by SsenepoD, Thu Aug-07-14 01:27 PM
love would bring the spacing/rebounding combo that they wouldnt get going with KD at the 4 & someone else at 3. If PG was there, then AD/KD/PG makes sense against spain, but AD/KD/ korver-hayward-etc. not so much
2357578, what?
Posted by ThaTruth, Thu Aug-07-14 01:40 PM
>love would bring the spacing/rebounding combo that they
>wouldnt get going with KD at the 4 & someone else at 3. If PG
>was there, then AD/KD/PG makes sense against spain, but AD/KD/
>korver-hayward-etc. not so much

korver-hayward aren't starting any games anyway, lol
2357074, "chances are it won't happen"(c)Colangelo...:
Posted by ThaTruth, Wed Aug-06-14 08:52 AM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/05/usa-basketball-president-colangelo-on-adding-kevin-love-to-roster-chances-are-it-wont-happen/
2357087, http://forums.crackberry.com/attachments/android-f169/249970d1393016646t-jail-breaking-samsung-image.png
Posted by Bombastic, Wed Aug-06-14 09:50 AM
http://forums.crackberry.com/attachments/android-f169/249970d1393016646t-jail-breaking-samsung-image.png
2356714, shit i forgot how bags and rbo fuck up every thread with UK/Duke players
Posted by southphillyman, Tue Aug-05-14 10:16 AM
yall niggas can't call a truce on this shit?
2356724, Lol...hey man, I was good after reply 3.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 10:31 AM
But the "We hate John Wall" contingent came in with full force.
2356740, I like Wall but he definitely has some holes in his game, in the...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-05-14 10:52 AM
playoffs when the games slowed down he kinda got exposed. He shot like 36% in both series and he turned the ball over way to much against the Pacers. He's basically got 1 more season as a "young guy" before he gets to "he is what he is" territory.
2356760, I don't think the game slowing down was the reason for his shakey play..
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 11:20 AM
in the playoffs.

Because the Wizards played the same way they played in the regular season. They got the same shots. Ran the offense the same way.

My concern was more of they looked too young and passive. And treated the games like regular season games.

John left way too many opportunities to take over on the court. He needed to be more aggressive for the entire game. It was pretty evident by his lack of FT attempts.
2356785, RE: I don't think the game slowing down was the reason for his shakey play..
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-05-14 12:02 PM
>in the playoffs.
>
>Because the Wizards played the same way they played in the
>regular season. They got the same shots. Ran the offense the
>same way.

So why did they score less points than they did during the regular season? A 63 point game is not going to cut it in the playoffs.
2356834, Because they didn't hit shots. It's that simple.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 01:18 PM
2356845, Wall was flat out horrible in 5 of the 6 games vs Indy, was he just...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-05-14 01:48 PM
scared? Did Lance blow in his ear?
2356924, Nah, he played bad in 3 of the games.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 04:03 PM
And like I said, he wasn't aggressive enough.

Don't know what else to tell you beside the fact you didn't watch the Wiz all season so you have no frame of reference. And you probably didn't watch those games in the playoff either. Soooooo....
2356940, I watched every game of the Indy series and 3 of the 5 vs the Bulls...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-05-14 04:38 PM
you're boy struggled badly, especially in the half court. His shot selection is horrible. You'll say he's a "playmaker" but it looks like he had no clue how to set his teammates up outside of a drive and kick. The Wizards offense actually looked more efficient when Wall was on the bench and things were run through Beal.
2356945, Oh that's what it is.....bye
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 04:52 PM

> The Wizards offense actually
>looked more efficient when Wall was on the bench and things
>were run through Beal.
2356949, lol, really it has nothing to do with Beal. Wall is a ballstopper, in the...
Posted by ThaTruth, Tue Aug-05-14 04:59 PM
halfcourt he just dribbles around with no apparent plan.
2356952, He's the facilitator in the half court. He gets everyone shots.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 05:06 PM
And more times than not, they're wide open looks.
2357184, yeah thats insane lol
Posted by cgonz00cc, Wed Aug-06-14 04:53 PM
2356910, This Right Here.
Posted by WarriorPoet415, Tue Aug-05-14 03:24 PM

>John left way too many opportunities to take over on the
>court. He needed to be more aggressive for the entire game. It
>was pretty evident by his lack of FT attempts.

Exactly. Playmaking is so overwhelming in his basketball DNA that at times he gets passive. Plus he's still lacking confidence in his shot, making him even more pensive than he should be in big moments that he should be taking advantage of.

That's the biggest hole in his game.

cscpov.blogspot.com

"There's a fine line between persistence and foolishness..."
-unknown

"To Each His Reach"
2356928, Exactly. His best games are when he just goes & doesn't second guess..
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 04:06 PM
himself.

His shot drops. And he gets to the foul line.
2357035, Johnny is a low IQ but more athletic Rondo
Posted by FILF, Tue Aug-05-14 11:50 PM
2357038, What I always said.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Aug-05-14 11:55 PM
2357037, breaking down the remaining roster.
Posted by dula dibiasi, Tue Aug-05-14 11:52 PM
A close look at remaining U.S. roster
Updated: August 5, 2014, 2:26 PM ET
By Marc Stein and Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com

Sixteen players to choose from. Only 12 roster spots available. And merely 10 more days of practices and exhibition games to collect sufficient on-court data to break any ties.

That is what coach Mike Krzyzewski and managing director Jerry Colangelo face starting Aug. 13 in Chicago, up until they board the Team USA plane bound for Spain on Aug. 23, in choosing the dozen players who will represent the United States at the inaugural FIBA World Cup.

Tuesday's release of John Wall, Bradley Beal and Paul Millsap, in the wake of the devastating compound leg fracture that felled Paul George, is only Phase 1. To get you (and the USA Basketball bosses) ready for the tough choices ahead -- four more cuts on top of the various emotional challenges after what happened to well-liked George -- we've broken it all down here by position:

POINT GUARD

LOCKS

Derrick Rose
Any lingering doubt about his athletic explosion or his status on this team was eradicated by the end of the first day of practice in Las Vegas. It's hard now to see Rose as anything other than the starter at the point against Finland in Team USA's first group game in Bilbao on Aug. 30, especially after the early show he put on in Friday's night ill-fated intrasquad scrimmage.

Stephen Curry
Look for him to spend plenty of time at shooting guard, even though he's listed here with the other 1s. His boundless range, versatility, previous experience in this competition … Curry is a franchise player with this group, just like he is in Oakland.

Kyrie Irving
The sight of Irving starting opposite Rose in the intrasquad scrimmage was the latest indication that he has a spot sewn up. He can't yet make the defensive impact Wall could have, and isn't quite as flammable offensively as a locked-in Damian Lillard, but USA Basketball regards Irving as a big part of this going forward. Hard to see Coach K leaving him home in those circumstances.

ON THE BUBBLE

Damian Lillard
It's not inconceivable that Krzyzewski could keep all four of these guys after letting Wall go, especially given Lillard's aforementioned flammability as a shooter. But four lead guards on a roster of 12 could well be one too many. If so, Lillard losing out to Irving -- one of Coach K's longtime faves -- is the safest forecast.

SHOOTING GUARD

LOCKS

James Harden
There were actual plaudits emanating from Sin City about Harden's efforts defensively last week after his (bad segue alert) borderline sinful showing on that end for the Rockets last season. The Beard, mind you, probably would be in the starting lineup against Finland even if he didn't guard a soul for the rest of the month. He's one of the world's greatest scorers, and, in this group of Team USA newcomers, one of the trusted vets.

Klay Thompson
With his size and defensive ability, Thompson actually does give Coach K an excellent option at the 2 if he did see the need to drop Harden to the bench. Or Thompson could find himself starting at small forward in place of injured George, given the suddenly sizable void at the 3 spot. Either way, Thompson's ability to make an impact at both ends makes it impossible for Krzyzewski to leave him behind.

ON THE BUBBLE

Kyle Korver
He won't complain if he doesn't play, and he'll make shots to bust zones when Coach K does send him in. Given his ability to log minutes at small forward, as well, Korver will probably find his way onto this roster.

SMALL FORWARD

LOCKS

None
Paul George was the only lock here. And his story is too sad to tell again.

ON THE BUBBLE

Chandler Parsons
With his multifaceted game and the size to play both forward spots internationally, as well as his respected range, Parsons appears to have the best shot to make the squad among the bubble 3s. But the competition here is fierce, so his defense won't/can't be overlooked.

DeMar DeRozan
A strong showing in Friday's intrasquad scrimmage, combined with George's unfortunate absence, has put DeRaptor in legit contention for a roster spot when he was widely presumed to be one of the first cuts. Can he keep the fairy tale going?

Gordon Hayward
All the raves Hayward generated in last year's Team USA minicamp are what made you think he'd get a max offer in 2014 restricted free agency. But the breakout star of Team USA's brief 2013 time together hasn't been able to generate quite the same buzz as part of this crowd. Small forward is a position in the spotlight the next two weeks after what happened to the face of the Pacers … and Hayward has to deliver if he wants to trump DeRozan.

POWER FORWARD

LOCKS

Kevin Durant
Seriously? You're looking for a justification sentence?

Kenneth Faried
Millsap's early exit would seem to suggest that Faried has already won a roster spot. The fact he started opposite Durant in the intrasquad scrimmage was yet another signal the Nuggets' ever-busy 4 man has taken advantage of the July withdrawals of Kevin Love and Blake Griffin. Faried doesn't have the bulk or defensive résumé to worry Spain or Brazil, but his high energy and constant activity will be seen as a nuisance to all who will have to deal with it.

CENTER

LOCKS

Anthony Davis
The 12th man on the gold-medal-winning London Olympics squad might be the most important player on this team, given the limited center options at Coach K's disposal. The U.S. needs him to be dominant defensively yet stay out of foul trouble -- which is always an issue for big men in the five-fouls-and-you're-out world of FIBA competition.

ON THE BUBBLE

DeMarcus Cousins
Talent isn't the issue. Obviously. Team USA coaches and officials want to bring Boogie abroad with them -- if only to know they can throw him at the Gasol brothers in the Sept. 14 title game if necessary -- but they need to know first that Cousins can keep his composure and handle limited minutes when his services aren't required. That's what they will try to determine Aug. 13-22.

Mason Plumlee
Coach K dropped more than a few hints in Vegas last week that the former Blue Devil could actually beat Cousins for a roster spot, thanks to his speed and agility (and presumed willingness to stay hushed if he's parked at the end of the bench). The fact he outplayed Cousins head-to-head in their one shift against each other in Vegas only adds to the notion that Boogie vs. Plumlee is the most intriguing battle leading into the real thing.

Andre Drummond
When Team USA practices resume in Chicago, Drummond will find himself needing to play catch-up to Cousins and Plumlee. Coach K is likely to take only two extra centers behind Davis, and Drummond, for all of his rebounding gifts at age 20, is a distinct No. 3 in that race after a lackluster week in Vegas.