Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLittle League Hates the Kids....well, the African ones anyway.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2350468
2350468, Little League Hates the Kids....well, the African ones anyway.
Posted by Lardlad95, Mon Jul-14-14 12:00 PM
Do you guys remember about 2 years ago when the Ugandan Little League team made its debut as the first African team in the LLWS?

Well it was feel good story that I'd been following for some time because a year prior to that they made the tournament but were denied visas. There was even a documentary about some Canadians coming over to play against the team as a gesture of goodwill.

Well, the rest of the sports world forgot about them, but I kept up with their story via the website run by a guy who runs a bunch of schools in Uganda (he also owns the Trenton Thunder minor league team).

http://ugandalittleleaguebaseball.org/

For the past two years they've been denied visas to play in the African & Middle Eastern regional tournament which is held in....POLAND.

The excuses they seem to give are bullshit, and as someone who actually wants to see baseball grow into a global sport, I'm kind of pissed that this shit is not even sniffing any type of attention. Little League patted themselves on the back and then moved the fuck on.

The website is basically just a log of goings on at the school and with the Ugandan Little League. Check it out.

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard
2350497, Thank you for this. I'm definitely checking out...now, in fact
Posted by Orbit_Established, Mon Jul-14-14 09:55 AM

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2350516, Correction....
Posted by Lardlad95, Mon Jul-14-14 10:30 AM
It is now the Europe and Africa region.

And although the website hasn't listed the teams yet, you can guarantee there won't be any African teams (especially not any ones with Black Africans).

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard
2350882, Thanks!
Posted by The Real, Mon Jul-14-14 07:40 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2350888, Why is this? I mean it's not fear of being embarrassed by them right?
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Jul-14-14 07:48 PM
I assume the team isn't that good on a world level. Is it just racism?

Isn't the whole idea of a little league world series people of all nationalities and races?
2350985, Yeah, I can't think of a good reason. The one time they made it they got
Posted by Lardlad95, Tue Jul-15-14 02:33 AM
SMOKED by Mexico. They won a consolation game, but still, it's not like they're a threat. Baseball is in its infancy in East Africa. Let them play in the regional tournament. Who is that hurting?