Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectStubhub's Worst Nightmare: Brazil v Holland (WC 3rd place)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2349820
2349820, Stubhub's Worst Nightmare: Brazil v Holland (WC 3rd place)
Posted by benny, Sat Jul-12-14 12:09 PM
OK let's be real no one really gives 1/2 a fuck about this game, heck I don't think I've ever watched one of these and think the game should be scrapped. Most of the Dutch players agree, and LVG even more so.
Yet Brazil will be looking to finish on a positive note, however unimportant it feels to their fans about Tuesday's beatdown, and a couple of these games have actually been very entertaining recently (2002, 2010) soooo... I'm still probably not watching but could be worth a replay this afternoon (maybe).
2349861, so missing Thiago Silva was the problem?
Posted by celery77, Sat Jul-12-14 03:06 PM
Only via gutless refereeing is Silva still on the field. Rarely will you see a more obvious direct red situation, and deservedly so. That was a gutless foul by Silva. I'm disappointed the ref didn't turn the knife on Brazil there, they deserve it for play like that.
2349873, welp, this is it for Big Phil.
Posted by Castro, Sat Jul-12-14 03:44 PM
2349891, im confused right now
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat Jul-12-14 04:38 PM
was the brazilian given a yellow card for diving on an almost identical play to the (i think theres been multiple now lol) robben pk's?
2349903, + the Dutch defender had to be stretchered off b/c of knee contact, yes
Posted by celery77, Sat Jul-12-14 04:48 PM
it was a very confusing play. It looked like a PK live, and then the ref booked him for diving, so I assumed he saw something on the field I couldn't because the point of contact was away from the sideline camera. Nope, next angle, clear contact. The ref just got that one wrong. 3rd place performance all around.
2350014, ok i was at working watching so i wasnt sure if i saw
Posted by GriftyMcgrift, Sat Jul-12-14 11:16 PM
the series of events correctly.

thats brutal
2349900, Well, they played a game today.
Posted by Buck, Sat Jul-12-14 04:46 PM
Not much more to say than that, I guess.
2349907, roughly 90 minutes, lots of passes, a few shots
Posted by celery77, Sat Jul-12-14 04:50 PM
thank god there isn't extra time
2349937, I really feel bad for the Seleção.
Posted by Hitokiri, Sat Jul-12-14 06:05 PM
Especially after David Luiz's teary eyed interview after the Germany game. The country of Brasil deserved to lose, given the social and political situation surrounding the world cup. But that wasn't on the team. But Scolari really made some head scratching choices... like taking Fred as his starting striker. Luis Damaio, Diego, Pato would have all probably have been better choices. Kaká's experience would have been helpful. Ganso probably could've been there... and as much as I think he's wasteful and incredibly inconsistent, Robinho is capable of moments of brilliance.

Ah well.

Let's go Abiceleste!!
2349951, What twisted logic is this?
Posted by Buck, Sat Jul-12-14 07:01 PM
>The country of Brasil deserved to lose, given
>the social and political situation surrounding the world cup.
2350078, a miserable, corrupt decision to waste that money
Posted by smutsboy, Sun Jul-13-14 12:15 PM
in the face of mass poverty and violence should not have been falsely validated by on-field success.

The haves in Brazil don't deserve to celebrate WC success.
2350089, Then neither do the have-nots.
Posted by Buck, Sun Jul-13-14 12:50 PM
>The haves in Brazil don't deserve to celebrate WC success.

Denying the one means denying the other.

Unless your claim is that the Brazilian poor are largely NOT supporters of the national team, while the rich largely ARE, this notion is illogical.
2350098, ?
Posted by will_5198, Sun Jul-13-14 01:10 PM
>Especially after David Luiz's teary eyed interview after the
>Germany game. The country of Brasil deserved to lose, given
>the social and political situation surrounding the world cup.
>But that wasn't on the team.

are you saying Brazil's decision-makers deserved on-field punishment for their choices as hosts, but not the team? if anybody deserved to lose, it was the team -- they played absolutely awful in their last two games (and very ugly in the one prior).

Luiz was rightfully crying because he completely sucked as a player in the semifinal.
2350084, So $85m for David Luiz seems like a brilliant bit of business
Posted by calminvasion, Sun Jul-13-14 12:32 PM
2350113, PSG so dumb
Posted by vik, Sun Jul-13-14 01:52 PM
why haven't they given barca marquinhos yet tho
2350243, saw a tweet yesterday that said:
Posted by PROMO, Sun Jul-13-14 04:51 PM
"David Luiz runs around the pitch like he's under the control of 10 year old playing Playstation"

that's pretty accurate.