Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectWorld Cup 2014 daily: twiddling thumbs watching tennis
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2344266
2344266, World Cup 2014 daily: twiddling thumbs watching tennis
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 01:52 PM
I don't know about you, but I'm experiencing slight withdrawal right now (even if I initially thought that the day off was welcome). let's talk about the games we are looking forward to, the line up we wish to see for our favorite team, and whatever else you can think off...

I'll start

I think I want the Switzerland offensive line up for Les Bleus, i.e. Benzema aka Merco Benz Benz Benz/Giroud (de secours)/Valbuena aka Petit Velo
I keep reading Benzi and Giroud are not compatible, but the last two games they played together have been offensive explosions, with both of them playing magnificent (granted, one of these games was a friendly vs a tired Jamaica, but that still helps confidence)

I might even want to keep Sissoko in there instead of Pogba, with Pogba coming in as a super sub...he's shown some brilliance, but he's been a tad inconsistent, plus I know everybody is going to try to get under his skin to get him to snap. Sissoko is lower ceiling, but you know exactly what you're getting with him, and he's unflappable.

Go with Evra/Varane/Sakho/Debuchy in the back, even though Debuchy/Sagna is a real toss up at this point, with how well Sagna has been playing, even offensively

AYO BENNY...WHAT DO YOU THINK?
2344271, as for the games I'm looking forward to
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 02:03 PM
the all copa america line up tomorrow is an absolute treat to me, I can't wait for Colombia/Uruguay in particular (I'm going to be real sad if Colombia doesn't go through), but I'm expecting Brazil/Chile to be top notch entertainment as well...picks wise, I'm really tempted to go for the upset, but I think I'm going to chicken out (if it was in neutral territory, I would pick Chile for sure).

besides France obviously, I'm also really excited about Netherlands/Mexico...I don't think it's as clear cut as most people (especially US based Mexico haters). This Mexican team has a real team of destiny flair about them, and this may be wishful thinking from me, but this Dutch generation is due for another meltdown.
2344310, Agreed on NED/MEX. That intrigues me the most.
Posted by Buck, Fri Jun-27-14 03:25 PM
2344286, I'M BORED. THIS IS BORING.
Posted by HowieDooem, Fri Jun-27-14 02:44 PM
The worst day of the tournament. We go from 3 or 4 games a day to nothing, and it's a stark reminder of what life is like when the World Cup is over.
2344299, this
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jun-27-14 03:07 PM
2344303, http://media.giphy.com/media/cg42AhGl8Ewk8/giphy.gif
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 03:12 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/cg42AhGl8Ewk8/giphy.gif
2344296, RE: World Cup 2014 daily: twiddling thumbs watching tennis
Posted by Pengedragon, Fri Jun-27-14 03:04 PM
hey man, been a while

i think your boys v the supereagles could be a mini classic

looking forward to chile and colombia going thru tomorrow

the dutch havent convinced me yet either
2344309, PENGEDRAGON WORD UPPPPPPP
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 03:23 PM
where have you been, man?
we need you and more above it all fogeys like us in these futbol talks over here

I don't quite know what to think about this Nigerian team, besides the absolute certainty that their keeper is a beast. I'd say the all out zaniness of their game vs Argentina was a bit of a fluke, triggered by Messi scoring so early, and facilitated by the shoddy Argentinian defense. I don't expect them to be as conservative as they were vs Bosnia either, though...

all I know is I've already started talking shit to all the Nigerians on my time line, and it's going to suck balls if we lose this game
2344301, only memories and anticipation are keeping me sane
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jun-27-14 03:09 PM
memories of USA USA USA USA

anticipation for south ameripocalypse tomorrow.
2344314, predictions
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-27-14 03:33 PM
Brazil/Chile - Brazil wins although I wouldn't be mad if Chile won like 2-0 just for the fuckery of it.
Colombia/Uruguay - Colombia wins. Fuck Uruguay.
Netherlands/Mexico - Netherlands win.
Costa Rica/Greece - Greece wins unfortunately.
France/Nigeria - France wins. Should be a walk honestly.
Germany/Algeria - Germany wins in a walk.
Argies/Swiss - Swiss upset. Shaqiri outshines Messi in the midget fight.
Belgium/USA - USA USA USA! The streets need that 4th of July game.
2344316, i'm feeling the US upset as well
Posted by bshelly, Fri Jun-27-14 03:38 PM
granted, my feelings come from nothing more than vague notions of "underdogs win a lot in the first rounds of knock out tournaments" and "lesser Euro side is in our wheelhouse" but mostly USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA
2344323, lesser Euro side is not quite accurate
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 04:00 PM
everybody had Belgium in the quarters before the tournament, and even though they've not been spectacular in a relatively easy group, they still managed to gather 9 points...they're a lot more dangerous than Portugal & Ghana

not to say the US can't do it, but seems to me you're selling this team short
2344334, last friendly we played against Belgium, we lost 4-2
Posted by celery77, Fri Jun-27-14 04:44 PM
Although they had Benteke then and Klinsmann was still finding his way with roster selections. Kljestan and Brad Davis started, the CB pairing was Gonzalez and Goodson together, Eddie Johnson and Brad Evans played, sooo ... no point in really dwelling on it.

The US NEEDS to create more chances than they did in the games against Germany and Ghana. It's fine that we played cagey in those, obviously managing the group dictated it, but for playing cagey we still haven't managed a clean sheet in any of our games.

I still don't mind our chances, but just because Belgium didn't completely control their group doesn't mean we're safe from getting embarrassed. Hopefully we have something novel for the knockouts. I'm really hoping they put another forward up to free Clint to play the pocket in front of the backline, behind the midfielders, give Michael Bradley two forward options to pass to instead of just Clint. We'll see, but I pretty much agree with those who put a 60/40 in Belgium's favor.
2344317, thought about making this post on the drive over this morning
Posted by benny, Fri Jun-27-14 03:38 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only addict. Only redeeming thing about today is that it's Friiiiiiiiddddaaaayyyyyy. Been listening to some Rakim comeback joints this afternoon, cannot wait for tmrw to roll around

>I keep reading Benzi and Giroud are not compatible,
Who the fuck is still writing this? This system works well, especially against a defense that will open up space like the super iggles.

>I might even want to keep Sissoko in there instead of Pogba,
interesting idea. Not sure DD will go for it since PP (The Truth?) is one of the "cadres" at this point. We might be favored, but this is still a do or die situation.

>with Pogba coming in as a super sub...he's shown some
>brilliance, but he's been a tad inconsistent, plus I know
>everybody is going to try to get under his skin to get him to
>snap.
this is what I'll be the most nervous about for every game until this run ends (holding up Jules Rimet's pride and joy hopefullY). Between Pogba, Sakho and the odd Cabaye bad foul we won't lack for nervousness.

>
>Go with Evra/Varane/Sakho/Debuchy in the back, even though
>Debuchy/Sagna is a real toss up at this point, with how well
>Sagna has been playing, even offensively

I think for this game I'd go Sagna because I could see his crosses doing some real damage to this Nigerian D. With that said my biggest fear on Monday is what their wing attacks do to us. Emenike is gonna be a problem, I already know it.

2344319, top 5 goals so far?
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 03:44 PM
I got:

Van Persie vs Spain
Cahill vs Netherlands
James vs Japan
Valbuena vs Switzerland
Messi vs Iran
2344320, hmmmm
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri Jun-27-14 03:47 PM
RVP header
Shaqiri rocket vs Honduras
Jermaine Jones rocket vs Portugal
Messi clutch game winning goal
Cahill's goal.
2344326, why you're wrong and I'm right
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 04:08 PM
Jones/Shaquiri/Messi are all very similar, you need more variety...

I debated with myself for a while on which one to pick, but then I said, self, Shaquiri's was vs Honduras in pretty much a no pressure situation, so it's down to Jones & Messi, and self, you have to give it to Messi given his body of work (his free kick vs Nigeria was in contention as well)

the James ankle breakers in the box + subtle lob, I just don't know how you can keep out
2344321, Benzema's should've been on there if not for that dang ref
Posted by benny, Fri Jun-27-14 03:49 PM
2344327, it would have been fighting with Valbuena for a spot
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 04:11 PM
better individual finish on the Benzema (almost) goal, but that text book counter on the Valbuena goal, with Giroud turbo boosting and Varane's pretty pass, was really, really sweet
2344328, ALSO...'DAT LIGUE 1 'GENDA
Posted by nighttripper, Fri Jun-27-14 04:15 PM
because why should we let celery have all the trolling fun?

'DAT MEMO
'DAT ENYEAMA
'DAT OSPINA
'DAT JAMES RODRIGUEZ
'DAT DIVOCK ORIGI
'DAT SERGE AURIER (despite the elimination)
'DAT SIRIGU (NOPE! Italy started losing when they replaced him!! IDC!)
2344332, Ligue Uhhhnhnnhhnnnnnnn -- James been player of the tourney so far
Posted by celery77, Fri Jun-27-14 04:34 PM
I would so gladly watch Ligue 1 play over EPL, but I can't find the games on TV. They were on ESPN3 for a sec and I loved them, but I think they're on BeIn now?

James worth the price of admission. Dude is doubling his transfer fee at least this tournament.
2344351, yeah they're on BeIn
Posted by benny, Fri Jun-27-14 06:27 PM
2344355, Weddings that don't take the WC schedule into consideration...fuck you
Posted by LA2Philly, Fri Jun-27-14 07:04 PM
Gonna very likely miss both the games tomm....smfh.
2344363, Not having a clear calendar for the WC = disaster
Posted by HowieDooem, Fri Jun-27-14 07:43 PM
It's moving weekend for me. Tomorrow could very well be the two best games of the tournament so far. Son of a bitch.
2344368, Cousin's wedding so it's out of my hands
Posted by LA2Philly, Fri Jun-27-14 08:28 PM