Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectEdge of Tomorrow: 2014 Boston Celtic Offseason Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2342775
2342775, Edge of Tomorrow: 2014 Boston Celtic Offseason Post
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Jun-24-14 02:00 PM
The Celtics' future could be determined this week.

They have the #6 pick, a big trade exception, and non-guaranteed deals that should be valuable trade assets. But Rajon Rondo is on the last year of his deal and if the Celtics don't make strides this year, he could sign elsewhere next year.

Do you try to win now? If we can't get Love or 'Melo, would you be happy enough with more middling moves like Jeff Green and Keith Bogans for Josh Smith and maybe trading #6 for a shooting guard or small forward?

Do you deal Rondo for #8 (and maybe Ben McLemore) and go with a full rebuild? Do you take Joel Embiid if he falls to #6 in that case?

My semi-realistic dream scenario is the Celtics landing 'Melo and Josh Smith. I'm fine with going after Kevin Love (and maybe getting Omer Asik if the Rockets dump him for salary reasons) but I"m not sure if we're in the race anymore if Flip doesn't make a deal by draft night and he recently said he didn't expect one to happen by then.

There's also the issue of Avery Bradley being an RFA. Word is that he'll cost 7 or 8 million to keep around. I like AB. Even though he proved last season that he can't handle the point, his improved shot makes him a great 3 and D guy (albeit undersized at the 2.)

So what are you hopes? Fears? What the hell is Ainge going to do this time around?
2342779, No love from Julius Randle
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Jun-24-14 02:10 PM
Chad Ford ✔ @chadfordinsider
Randle skipped a potential 2nd workout w/ Celtics today for this -> MT @J30_RANDLE: Meeting with @GQMagazine today to discuss style

Right now, it seems like the Celtics' preference at #6 is:
1. Aaron Gordon
2. Noah Vonleh
3. Marcus Smart

with Joel Embiid being the wild card.
2342851, I'm personally cool with any scenario
Posted by realityrap, Tue Jun-24-14 06:14 PM
The only way we can blow this is to select a bust.

Trade for melo? Cool!
Trade for Love? Cool!
Pick at 6 and 17? Cool!
Trade the 6? Cool!

We have way too many assets and young talent to blow a rebuild whether it be fast or slow, right? *nervous laughter*

I want us to draft Noah Vonleh though if we keep the 6.
2342865, That bitchmade mf'er stay spreading bullshit. Fuck him.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Jun-24-14 07:00 PM
Did Julius foot break at the GQ shoot now too? He needs surgery immediately?
2342880, youre being emotional
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Jun-24-14 08:30 PM
theres still word out there from more than Chad Ford that he should probably get the surgery.

He's decided to play his hand and see where he gets drafted first, but its probably gonna be an issue at some point that needs to be corrected/addressed.
2342906, Nah, Chad's played it like it was a serious issue while Embiid...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Jun-24-14 10:42 PM
has 2 actual serious injuries that he's cool with & rationalizes. "Well...he's not big like other centers with the stress fracture."
2342916, CelticsBlog tweeted that he's a Lakers fan
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Jun-24-14 11:38 PM
Might want to fall to them.

He already worked out for the Celtics so he might have just wanted to up his exposure and use the GQ shoot to possibly boost endorsements.
2343159, Ford should've just reported that instead of assuming.
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Wed Jun-25-14 06:00 PM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/julius-randle-tells-ksr-that-not-going-to-the-celtics-workout-had-nothing-to-do-with-the-gq-interview/
2342868, I'm banking on Ainge shaking up the world again this Thurs
Posted by Lach, Tue Jun-24-14 07:18 PM
I really do hope he goes in for Melo or Love. The idea of adding Asik as well would really be something. I'm basically just waiting. This is going to be must see tv come Thursday.
2344129, Draft night adds to the confusion
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Jun-27-14 10:34 AM
I'm fine with Marcus Smart. I think I would have preferred Gary Harris as his complement over James Young but I'm happy to land Young who is a better complement to Smart and Bradley rather than Harris being Bradley's replacement.

My biggest concern is Rondo. I don't see Rondo and Smart being a great duo and I have a feeling that Ainge isn't going to be able to bring himself to pull the trigger on any Rondo deals.. If we really could have gotten the #8 for Rondo, we should have pulled the trigger. Grab McDermott at #8, trade down with Chicago and add a couple more prospects.
Given our current roster, I'm not sure Rondo re-signs here after the season.
2344132, I think Rondo is gone
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jun-27-14 10:41 AM
2344134, As a Lakers fan living in Boston
Posted by Mack, Fri Jun-27-14 10:43 AM
I enjoy watching Ainge f*ck up. He hit once with the Big 3 but I never understood the love for Ainge as this great GM. His moves since (minus the actual acquisition of the draft picks) have been suspect. Great job getting the picks, not sure if he'll know how to use them. If not trading Rondo, the Marcus Smart pick makes no sense.
2344139, RE: As a Lakers fan living in Boston
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri Jun-27-14 10:48 AM
>I enjoy watching Ainge f*ck up. He hit once with the Big 3
>but I never understood the love for Ainge as this great GM.
>His moves since (minus the actual acquisition of the draft
>picks) have been suspect. Great job getting the picks, not
>sure if he'll know how to use them. If not trading Rondo, the
>Marcus Smart pick makes no sense.

right, and the formation of "the big 3" basically came down to his boy McHale doing him a solid and keeping KG away from the Lakers
2344218, get the fuck out of this post
Posted by realityrap, Fri Jun-27-14 12:32 PM
2344149, Do you deal Rondo for Nash, Randle, and Clarkson?
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Jun-27-14 11:21 AM
Could help you land 'Melo since he's pals with Rondo and has said he wants to play alongside Rajon.
2344155, I don't think I'd do that
Posted by Mack, Fri Jun-27-14 11:30 AM
Rondo, Kobe, and 'Melo would be quite the trio but man is that a lot of attitude. Don't know if I'd want that mix without Phil at the helm.
2344142, Smart = Born Ready, which means its a great pick
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Jun-27-14 10:54 AM

A tough, no-nonsense multi-skilled guard

Great pick

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2344153, not a bad comparison, actually
Posted by thejerseytornado, Fri Jun-27-14 11:26 AM
though Smart's a bit smaller and I think isn't going to make Lance's bad plays but also not as explosive/crafty. but same type of do-everything combo guard type. god i hope it works out, tho.

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

Its 2014...there are computers in glasses and people stunt after hitting the ball far. Get over it. -Cenario

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilariou
2344145, 1st - Fuck Boston , 2nd - Great Draft..
Posted by LegacyNS, Fri Jun-27-14 11:05 AM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ditch the paper, save the trees, and go mobile! Text bizcard to 32462!
2344219, Post-Draft
Posted by realityrap, Fri Jun-27-14 12:33 PM
I wanted Vonleh, which is what prevents me from giving this an 'A'

Danny drafted the best (or 2nd) player available with Smart, and what I think Gerald Green was supposed to be with us in James Young.

We need a legit center badly, but clearly there wasn't one available.

I think Smart could be a better version of Dion Waiters if not a mini Wade.

I'm excited to see the Rondo/Smart combination
2347942, Celtics get something for nothing
Posted by SoulHonky, Wed Jul-09-14 11:46 AM
Although, the impact will likely be more nothing than something.

C's get Tyler Zeller and a protected first for taking on Marcus Thornton's contract.

Basically, Zeller replaces Humphries and Thornton replaces Bayless as we add another first. I can't imagine that this gets us any closer to landing Kevin Love but it's better than just letting the Traded Player Exception expire.
2348640, I am cool with this move...i rather see them build through the draft
Posted by ChampD1012, Thu Jul-10-14 12:07 PM
I still think we overpaid to resign Avery Bradley but eh...everybody is getting overpaid in this free agent market...
2348642, considering some of the other contracts out there, was he overpaid?
Posted by thejerseytornado, Thu Jul-10-14 12:09 PM

-----------
Y'all stupid...should've tanked for Lebron/Wiggins in 2014 -Rex LongFellow

Its 2014...there are computers in glasses and people stunt after hitting the ball far. Get over it. -Cenario

It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilariou
2348761, i think we could have cut off a million or two a year...
Posted by ChampD1012, Thu Jul-10-14 02:51 PM
injuries scare me a little bit...

Now granted...these contracts have been ridiculous...but that doesn't mean it's okay to overpay...there are teams who don't overpay for players...
2348829, If we land a big name like Love, then Avert isn't overpaid
Posted by Lach, Thu Jul-10-14 07:40 PM
But in terms of what he's going to do for this current roster, I think we did overpay a bit. I think a guy like Bradley is more valuable to a contending team versus a team trying to rebuild and find their way.