Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectKG didn't play Center for the Celts until later...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2331526&mesg_id=2332098
2332098, KG didn't play Center for the Celts until later...
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu May-29-14 12:10 AM
>kinda how KG was a PF in Minny and then a C in BOS, and now
>BKN

He played PF next to Perkins when they won the title..

it wasn't until he was older and slowed that he moved to Center..

I remember guys like KG getting some criticism because they were 7 footers who didn't play center and had expressed a desire NOT to play Center....

KG in fact played a lot SF for the Wolves too back when they had like Joe Smith

>the league went to small ball
>
>which allowed Timmay to move from PF to C, as well as KG
>
>I don't think either pop into my head as GOAT Cs
>
>but they do for PFs
>
>$.02
>
>if you're alluding to him playing out of position, see my
>reply above
>
>he was athletic enough, with size, to guard PFs
>
>I don't remember PFs getting by him with speed, etc...
>
>now if you had The Admiral guarding somebody like Karl or
>CWeb
>
>that's probably a mismatch
>
>you follow
>
>C in NCAA doesn't mean a whole lot
>
>Duke had Parker playing C this year and he's a SF in the
>league
>
>just sayin

but here's the thing too though...

Post David Robinson

can you name a Spurs STARTING Center who was consistently on the court during crunch time during ANY of the Spurs runs??

I can't...

at those times...when the games count...Tim Duncan may not have been starting as the Spurs Center..but since the Admiral the position of starting Center for the Spurs has been insignificant...and during that times that really count...Tim Duncan has been playing Center for the Spurs...

starting Tim at PF allows the Spurs to have someone else guard the teams best Big man thus saving Timmmay's energy and fouls if the other teams Center is an offensive threat...

but again.... being 7 foot...basically a center because your entire game is post and facing the basket below the free throw line... to be in that position yet not take the responsibility of guarding the best big man on the other team and being your teams Center is something that's a big questionable to me.... I think it was Bill Russell who talked about that some years ago...like saying KG and Duncan could help their teams more if they played Center ...and they should step up...

in this playoffs right today...Splitter is cool...but when it matters...Diaw is going to be at PF and Timmay is going to be at Center