Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectJune 2003...what was your opinion of Lebron?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2328653
2328653, June 2003...what was your opinion of Lebron?
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Wed Dec-31-69 07:00 PM
Just curious on what everyone here felt back then.

I first heard of him in 2002, and saw him play in that first game they showed on ESPN. I was halfway caught up in the hype, but even still, I felt that it would be hard for him to live up to the expectations. I didn't think he'd be able to have 6-8 years as a Top 3 MVP candidate or anything that high.

I felt that he was gonna be a superstar, possible legend, but thought it would take a while for him to show impact. I remember he got like 12 in his first pre-season game, which was decent. But when he got 25 in his first actual NBA game...I was like yea, he's for real. I did think it was BS that he didn't make the All Star team his first year.

At this point, yeah, I think he even exceeded the hype. Even more than his skill, I think I'm shocked at the fact that he's for real never been in any kind of trouble or scandals...in the internet/social media age, at that. That might be the biggest surprise to me.

Poll question: June 2003...what was your opinion of Lebron?

Poll result (28 votes)
This kid is going to be a LEGEND...nothing short (7 votes)Vote
He's good, but it's nearly impossible that he'll live up to the hype (18 votes)Vote
I'm not sold on him...he shouldn't have been the #1 pick (1 votes)Vote
No opinion/other (explain) (2 votes)Vote

2328663, Blue. Caught up in the hype, but maintained healthy skepticism.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri May-16-14 04:23 PM
I'd only seen like one aired HS game, so the fuck did I know about him? Plus, that hype seemed impossible to live up to.

I didn't doubt he should go #1, but I didn't think he could achieve what he has. (I will say, my feelings changed somewhere around his first or second NBA game that I watched, lol.)
2328664, I figured he'd be good. Really good.
Posted by Ryan M, Fri May-16-14 04:26 PM
It's so hard to tell, especially with such hype. But nobody can possibly ever have thought he'd be this good and this dominant.
2328666, when I saw the HS game I knew he'd be tremendous..
Posted by LegacyNS, Fri May-16-14 04:34 PM
His athleticism, speed, size and passing ability stood out right away. It was just about how long it was going to take him to develop a jump shot. After that, he was going to be pretty much unstoppable..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ditch the paper, save the trees, and go mobile! Text bizcard to 32462!
2328667, yeah to me one of the most impressive things about him has been his...
Posted by ThaTruth, Fri May-16-14 04:42 PM
overall maturity off the court considering his family background and upbringing, from day 1 he has seemed mature beyond his years as far as dealing with the media as well as avoiding any major trouble off the court. A lot was made of his LRMR team but outside of maybe how "The Decision" was handled those guys have done a great job.
2328678, I knew he'd be at least Penny/T-Mac good..
Posted by melmag, Fri May-16-14 04:56 PM
cus he was just as skilled as them with a chance to be better cus he was already a manchild physically.

Aside from the obvious athleticism, his overall mastery & understanding of the game at such a young age impressed me the most..

But never once did I imagine he'd legitimately challenge Cheese for dat throne tho
2328679, saw him play in high school...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Fri May-16-14 04:56 PM
..impressive, to say the least.

all the intangibles, full of potential. unfortunately, far too much hype & controversy before he ever finished high school.

#1 draft pick? TOO EASY. immediate impact on the game, yet he struggled a bit once the true pressure mounted. since then, he's shown massive improvement. i know professional sports in cleveland, so i always had a feeling they wouldn't do enough to keep him there.

his journey has been interesting, but humbling as well. attended the nyc premiere of the documentary ('More Than a Game') and finally had a chance to talk with him one on one. he didn't answer any questions about his future in cleveland, but that night i knew he was on his last contract with the cavs.

the decision: le misérables

still, i held no issue with him joining dwade & bosh in miami. its not the 1st time its happened, certainly won't be the last. *he's done an amazing job of branding himself and maintaining composure in the business of professional sports & marketing.

having watched him play live as a member of the cavs AND heat, you can definitely see the difference in maturity. he's well on the way to proving realizing his potential (and proving his harshest critics wrong).

i think his next move might be even more impressive.

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2328680, The second GOAT (next to Kobe)
Posted by Kira, Fri May-16-14 05:01 PM
I knew he was going to be great. His unparalleled selflessness and athleticism is the perfect model for the young guys to follow. While his work ethic isn't at GOAT's level, it's incredible nonetheless. Plus, the man got a $100 million contract when most people were signing promissory notes his senior year.
2328682, I thought he was going to be good, but I thought the league...
Posted by mrhood75, Fri May-16-14 05:07 PM
...was gonna shove him down our throat no matter how good he actually turned out to be, because I thought they were desperate to create another "Jordan." I was SUPER skeptical during his rookie year, but that doesn't really cover the purview of this post.
2328704, saw him in HS, i figured he'd have like 8 rings by now.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Fri May-16-14 06:14 PM
seeing him in person back then is something i will never forget.
i was definitely in on the hype.
2328705, saw him live @ the Palestra in 02/03-never seen a HS kid look that grown
Posted by Bombastic, Fri May-16-14 06:19 PM
I can't really recall what my long-term thoughts were but it was somewhere between blue & red.

His jumper looked a little suspect & it was tough to see fully how great his passing acumen was because he could see over top of the entire court versus high-schoolers.

But considering he's now become the best basketball player I've seen in my life, I'd have to say even with the lofty expectations he's exceeded them.
2328706, As soon as I saw his passing vision at 19, I knew he was a Great
Posted by Vex_id, Fri May-16-14 06:30 PM
but I don't know if anybody could've imagined
he would work on and develop new wrinkles in his
game in the way that he has.

His jumpshot was very inconsistent and it didn't
seem like he would ever be able to rely on it, but
now he's a tremendous jump-shooter, and hits clutch
3's repeatedly, like he did in the 4th quarter game 5
v. BK - where he hit two crucial 3's to buoy the Miami
comeback.

Top 3 all time when it's all said & done, without question -
and the only living player to have a legitimate shot to
outshine Jordan in terms of career accomplishments.

-->
2328708, "Gotdamn, Nike gave him $90 million"
Posted by Chanson, Fri May-16-14 06:34 PM
Never really had an impression of him because I never saw him play.

The hype around him was crazy though.

And that Nike deal got so much press.
2329053, No opinion.
Posted by gmltheone, Sun May-18-14 12:03 PM
Only saw clips of one hs game on ESPN. Unlike some of you super scouts I couldn't then and still can't now tell how good a player is going to be.
----------------------------
Same as it ever was!
2329062, ^^^ No opinion.
Posted by bentagain, Sun May-18-14 01:14 PM
2003? What was my opinon of LBJ in his rookie year?

The best I could say is that if he was going to live up to the hype

in his rookie year

ROTY, 20, 6 and 5 is a GREAT start

so I would have to say it was possible he would be great

in 2003

FTR, I wasn't convinced until after the 25 in the 4th he dropped on DET in 07'

after I saw that, I was like yep, he's gonna have a shot at GOAT
2329058, Took Melo early, still take Melo.
Posted by Nodima, Sun May-18-14 12:49 PM
but I also recognize I'm wrong as shit.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2329059, also figured he would NEVER get a jump shot.
Posted by Nodima, Sun May-18-14 12:50 PM
and still felt that way three years ago.

then he hit 40% from three and became a cheat code.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2329269, I took Melo early too...
Posted by jimaveli, Mon May-19-14 05:30 AM
I thought Melo had old man game at a young age and would always be able to get shots that he could make when it counted to win the close games (aka most playoff games). I assumed general progression from both, but I felt too good about Melo's 'hey...I'm a dude who was made to play basketball' vs Lebron's 'super athlete who chose basketball' argument.

But then Lebron did way more wind sprints, ran with more weighted vest/parachutes, added more pieces to his offensive game, ate far more sensible dinners, watched more film, had more disciplined defensive coaches and coaching and generally more of a fuck about being a winning/legendary player...and now we are here...it just isn't much of a convo/comparison. In addition, to being in better situations (IE: Lebron being in the East his whole career vs Melo being stuck having the Denver years and then going out of his way to end up in New York under the worst circumstances possible personnel-wise), Lebron appears to have him beat in effort..and I say that as more of a compliment to Bron than a diss to Melo even if I'm not above making a 'eating burgers and playing GTA during the offseason' jokes about him when I see his shoulders looking like something other than rocks in November.

>but I also recognize I'm wrong as shit.
>

>
>
>~~~~~~~~~
>"This is the streets, and I am the trap." © Jay Bilas
>http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
>Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
2329277, I thought in the short term Melo was a better scoring option
Posted by LegacyNS, Mon May-19-14 07:04 AM
because of his shooting ability but once once LeBron started to develop he would eventually surpass Melo. Now, Melo is still the better pure shooter w/o question but Bron's overall ability to penetrate & pass makes him a greater offensive threat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================

Ditch the paper, save the trees, and go mobile! Text bizcard to 32462!
2329362, I still think Melo should have been ROY that year
Posted by mrhood75, Mon May-19-14 01:09 PM
Took his team to the 'Offs, shot better, etc. I think I held on to the idea that he'd be better a couple more years. I gave that shit up during the '06 play-offs though.
2329148, red.
Posted by PROMO, Sun May-18-14 04:28 PM
2329198, You're a novice fan when it comes to scouting & HS ball, as most
Posted by isaaaa, Sun May-18-14 07:18 PM
people are.

LBJ, Durant, Melo and D. Rose were sure fire SUPERSTAR players by their 11th grade year.

The crazy shit is when the BIG DOGS fall off tho, like Lenny Cooke...he was top 5 nationally at one point.

New Mantra: anti-gentrification, cheap alcohol & trying to look pretty in our twilight posting years (c) Big Reg

Get 25% off www.karmaloop.com w/ rep code JR9103 |
Nike, G-Star, Herschel, Adidas (Men's & Women's clothing)
2329275, Hell, look at the top five draft picks of every year. Scouts don't even get it as right
Posted by -DJ R-Tistic-, Mon May-19-14 06:16 AM
as a lot of regular people. Shit, Darko that same year being RIGHT AFTER Lebron....how do we call that one??
2329207, The only question I had was his jumper
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun May-18-14 08:50 PM
The rest of the skill-set was clearly there.
2329217, My GYM teacher said he was better than Kobe in 2001
Posted by FILF, Sun May-18-14 09:18 PM
That was my first time hearing his name (He was talking to some cats on the Bball team & he said "There is this kid from Cleavland & I heard he's better than Kobe right now").....I think we can all agree he was right.
2329267, didnt think he'd be this good nm
Posted by Binlahab, Mon May-19-14 04:12 AM

does it really matter?
2329279, I don't think I've seen anyone handle success in the NBA better than him.
Posted by Castro, Mon May-19-14 08:08 AM
2329357, maintained some skepticism after watching all his gms on espn
Posted by vee-lover, Mon May-19-14 12:54 PM
thought he was being over hyped as is usually the case w/99% of most athletes that receive a lot of attention before they've really proven anything...

His jump shot was REAL suspect at that time to say the least and I didn't think his athleticism alone would be enough for him to play at a high level and live up to the expectations.

I said if he were to average 13ppg in his nba rookie season that that would be a GOOD season for him.

Was convinced Carmelo was better than him at that point due to Melo having won a ncaa title that season and him playing against the top players in college while Lebron was beastin on high school kids.

I was, however, immediately impressed w/Lebron's passing ability. I had NEVER seen a high school kid, who wasn't a point guard, w/that kind of vision.
2329359, damn you were hating.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon May-19-14 01:04 PM