Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectit's really not, if you look at it
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2316231&mesg_id=2317036
2317036, it's really not, if you look at it
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Apr-20-14 06:26 PM
i wasnt around the ducks much this year but i have been lately, in fact i got there right when this transition started and my only question was why it didnt happen sooner.

boudreau took a big risk doing this now with points on the line and a big risk extending it into the playoffs. but i think it's worked.

first of all, hiller is a proven mediocre goalie. let's just get that out there right away. they probably should have replaced him when they replaced carlyle. he is capable of winning games and putting up decent numbers with a stacked team, and so is the multitude of backups they have had behind him.

andersen is bigger, moves better laterally, is a considerably better puck handler and his mental makeup is strong. in that first game, yes, two of the three goals were a little suspect but let's face it they also got two of the three off an extended five on three. in game 2 he was sharp and he made some VERY timely saves, mainly that one on daley.

hiller was middling through the last stretch where he was the starter. then he got two games to prove himself and played poorly in both, getting pulled against a non playoff team once, losing to a last-place club in the other. you could say that niemi was having a similar stretch but not really, only by record. he also didn't have a really good backup pushing him.

at this point i am not entirely sure hiller would play if andersen were to be injured. we just saw that and the message seemed to be "anyone but hiller." no disrespect to gibson, who is very talented, but you're playing an absolutely green 20 year old rookie in games for the division? that shows exactly where hiller's game is at.