Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: Backlash 2003 / Backlash 2004
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2302037&mesg_id=2304450
2304450, RE: Backlash 2003 / Backlash 2004
Posted by jimaveli, Thu Mar-06-14 12:49 PM
Backlash 2003: Heel Hollywood Rock vs (finally showing up after WCW died) Goldberg

Rock was bringing the selling and the 'not wanting to admit he's scared but he's totally scared' heel style. Goldberg...well...he was stopping by for a year to make some $. But he's big enough that he still looked big, the spears were excellent and the jackhammer as a finisher isn't exactly a burning hammer, but I still totally buy it. Rock was doing a freebird amount of hotdogging and stalling...it was great.

Also...HEEL RAPPING AND CUSSING JOHN CENA vs Full-time wrestling Brock Lesnar: they got stupid crossed up/lost in the middle of this match on a few irish whips and reversals, but still...it was great. Brock was throwing Cena around and Cena was cheating, cussing, using weapons, clowning the crowd, etc, etc. Good lord, heel Cena this summer vs Yes Man (champ) would be excellent Summerfest 2014 material.

Backlash 2004:

Well...there's some crazy heel/face and people alignments on this card. The main event...HBK vs HHH vs *guy who doesn't exist* (yes, Benoit). They ran back the WM20 main event and it was still on. It WAS jarring seeing Woman and the kids in the crowd. Both matches were awesome...and physical. CHOPS! GERMANS! This was in Canada so when HBK slapped a sharpshooter on Benoit WITH HEBNER AS REF, the crowd lost it...totally lost it. It is kinda lame that the underlying tone of the match from Lawler (he was still basically a heel perv announcer at this time) was that HHH and HBK were trying to have a match and Benoit (the champ) was kinda just there on the scene/in the way of their match. And it IS kinda crazy how short/small he looked vs HHH. But HHH and HBK showed a gang of ass for him...totally sweet.

Jimaveli

>(man all the rain this past weekend provided the perfect opp.
>to grab a beer and pless *play*)
>
>mine...
>
>1990 great american bash. i was always a bigger wwf fan
>growing up than i was DUBYA-CEE-DUBYA, but...
>
>- brian pillman's dropkick. wow...just wow. RIP
>- lol @ hairy ass dutch mantel no-selling throughout his
>entire match to a much stronger powerhouse face in doug
>furnas.
>- vader's debut. never realized how much japanese influence he
>brought with him back to the states. the samurai headdress,
>the salute ritual before entering the ring.
>- steiner bros vs. the freebirds. lol
>- paul e. dangerously managing mean mark callous. MARK OUT
>CITY
>- the heel, BLACK tag team champs managed by a do-ragged teddy
>long getting a pop after the W. man i used to love when doom
>when punish the jobber team even after the pinfall.
>- jim ross was so f'in sharp back then. word to gordon solie
>too.
>- sting vs flair. i rewound the finish about 5 times. holy
>shit @ the crowd.
>
>it was a trip watching all them dudes cut their teeth working
>for turner, and then move on to the big leagues to work for
>vince.
>
>
>