Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI seriously hope Punk is taking a page out of the Pillman playbook here.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2302037&mesg_id=2303705
2303705, I seriously hope Punk is taking a page out of the Pillman playbook here.
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Mar-04-14 01:01 AM
Part of me figures, that's the whole point. They put Paul out there to fuck with the Chicago crowd and hopefully take the wind out of their sails and save the show from potential disaster.

I also figure it served as a great way to add some substance to Brock's match with Taker.

It did both of those things perfectly well. Brilliantly, even.

Here's where I start to wonder:

I have a hard time seeing the WWE utilizing Punk so strongly, right down to the music, Paul sitting cross legged, and reference to Punk's Pipe Bomb, if there wasn't a plan in place for his return.

To that end, I give them credit for making me wonder, if only just a little.

In a perfect world, Punk would be a modern day Bryan Pillman, working everyone to an incredible degree nobody thought possible in the modern era. This gives way to the second thing that lends me one sliver of hope that he's planning on coming back:

Punks complete silence up to now. Not a single word has been spoken by him publicly on the matter up to this point. The previous worked shoot was obvious, since he had the title and we all know Vince wasn't about to allow that shit to go down after what the stunt he pulled with Flair.

In the end, he knows he's built some equity with Vince. He knows he can walk right back into his spot. Part of me wonders if Punk doesn't realize how poetic that would be. Brock, Rock, Batista, Jericho, hell, even Taker- These guys take off for long periods and then walk right in for top billing and a big pay day at the expense of young wrestlers that could use the seasoning, screen time, and pay check. After all, if those guys can do it, why can't the single longest WWE World title holder in two and a half decades do it as well? If Dwayne, Brock, Chris, Dave, and even Mark can pull that shit year after year while guys like Punk continually works hurt and can't get a good Mania spot that doesn't involve Vince's Doofus Son In Law inserting himself into hot wrestlers stories like clockwork...... this is a good way to throw it in Vince's face.

I know, I know, it's a pipe dream, pun intended. A fan can wonder though, can't he?