Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecthaha...word...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2302037&mesg_id=2303595
2303595, haha...word...
Posted by jimaveli, Mon Mar-03-14 07:30 PM
I'm not sure I'm ready for the comedy of the late-80s and early-90s WCW stuff...especially after wallowing in the early 2000s..aka the festival of chairshots, brawling everywhere all the time, video game suplexes, chokeslams, powerbombs, piledrivers, table spots, the Hardys and E&C being in-shape Foleys, lucha/cruiser magic, etc. I'm assuming I'm gonna see a lot of 'really!?' offense, an outlandish amounts of stalling/resting, bad dropkicks, etc. Of course, this'll be mixed in with some excellent power guys, a few stiff/awesome Japan dudes (Vader/Muta) and Flair killing it with the storytelling no matter who he was in there with. I haven't seen some of that stuff in about 10 years.

I remember Muta as basically god in NWA...spitting on folks and having it be sold like pepper spray to the face, killer elbows, and that moonsault.

I AM ready for Paul E and 'Mean Mark' Taker..I need that in my life.

I also can't wait to roll up on Royal Rumble 1992 so I can enjoy Heenan and Gorilla going at it over Flair going full Flair in a WWF environment to pull that rumble out of his ass.

I grew up with both WWF and NWA but Midsouth Wrestling used to BE being in Houston, and I basically lived for wrestling on TBS Saturday evenings, so I had a lot of 'the heels are crazy, awesome, and dirty...they are gonna cheat before, during, and after every match and win at least enough to keep you guessing' to wrap my mind around as a kid in the 80s. WWF was almost a joke to me back then cuz Hulk would stay winning in situations where the heel would've easily won in NWA. Sting and Luger would 'hulk up', throw some clotheslines/back body drops/press slames, then get hit with brass knuckles or eat a shady rollup of some kind a few minutes later. And it was great.

Jimaveli: Fair to Flair

>(man all the rain this past weekend provided the perfect opp.
>to grab a beer and pless *play*)
>
>mine...
>
>1990 great american bash. i was always a bigger wwf fan
>growing up than i was DUBYA-CEE-DUBYA, but...
>
>- brian pillman's dropkick. wow...just wow. RIP
>- lol @ hairy ass dutch mantel no-selling throughout his
>entire match to a much stronger powerhouse face in doug
>furnas.
>- vader's debut. never realized how much japanese influence he
>brought with him back to the states. the samurai headdress,
>the salute ritual before entering the ring.
>- steiner bros vs. the freebirds. lol
>- paul e. dangerously managing mean mark callous. MARK OUT
>CITY
>- the heel, BLACK tag team champs managed by a do-ragged teddy
>long getting a pop after the W. man i used to love when doom
>when punish the jobber team even after the pinfall.
>- jim ross was so f'in sharp back then. word to gordon solie
>too.
>- sting vs flair. i rewound the finish about 5 times. holy
>shit @ the crowd.
>
>it was a trip watching all them dudes cut their teeth working
>for turner, and then move on to the big leagues to work for
>vince.
>
>
>