Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectthe fuck are you talking about they weren't the best defense in '91?!?!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2295824&mesg_id=2295839
2295839, the fuck are you talking about they weren't the best defense in '91?!?!
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Feb-03-14 07:26 PM
You must have never watched that defense play & are trying to play catch-up looking at points-allowed with zero context to even think to say that.

They were only defense to be rated #1 against the run, pass & overall in NFL history up to that point.

They won TEN games with SIX different quarterbacks (half a broke-down Jim MacMahon with the rest including multiple games started by Jeff Kemp & Brad Goebel with actual crucial game snaps taken by Pat Ryan & David Archer) while only having Randall Cunningham for the first quarter of the first game before getting his knee Bryce Paup-ed to miss the entire seasdon, James Joseph as their primary rusher and an absolutely porous offensive line.

That offense also turned the ball over 43 times that season for an average of almost three times a game (worse than every team except the 3-Win Tampa Bay Styles-Incomplete-Like-Vinnie-Testaverdeans)and were bottom five in pretty much any category you name.

That was prime All-Pro Hall Of Fame Reggie White, prime All-Pro Clyde Simmons, Jerome Brown's last & best All-Pro year, then Mike Pitts/Mike Golic rotating on run/pass at the other tackle.

At linebacker it was All-Pro Seth Joyner, with future Pro Bowlers William Thomas & Byron Evans.

Safety former All-Pro Wes Hopkins & the late great Andre 'Dirty' Waters.

Corner borderline Hall of Famer & first-team All-Pro Eric Allen playing his only full season with a corner on the other side who wasn't 'Toast' in Ben Smith (his only promising season before he blew out his knee again & ended his career).

That was Bud Carson taking Buddy Ryan's 46 with the horses he drafted and perfecting it by not leaving the corners completely naked every snap.

I watched every game that team played & (with maybe one or two exceptions) every game the 2000 Ravens played, I don't know who else here can honestly say that so I'm gonna go ahead and trust my own eyes/memory along with the statistical data and the context each came in.

That Eagle Defense was better than the 2000 Ravens front-to-back by a bit & I've yet to see a D better than the Ravens since then.

If you wanna ask why they couldn't win a Super Bowl with Brad Goebel at the helm, then Google that sorry motherfucka & get back to me.