Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI now believe this Punk angle is an elaborate work.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2292914&mesg_id=2294143
2294143, I now believe this Punk angle is an elaborate work.
Posted by Cold Truth, Thu Jan-30-14 02:20 PM

-There were initial rumors of some sort of argument regarding a concussion. This has been debunked.

-Punk has needed time off to deal with nagging injuries. He previously took two months off, last year.

-They played out a similar angle during the infamous “Summer of Punk” run. Punk had the title at that point, so it was a bit more obvious it was a work.

-There’s a rumor of a text that Punk sent yesterday to one of the Gracie cats in Cali about being in town in a few weeks. Raw is in L.A. in two weeks.

-The backlash from the Rumble was HUGE.

That said, Punk is their best promo guy. He’s an internet darling and thus the best guy to use if WWE wants to go “viral”, so to speak. He needs time off anyways. Simply quitting doesn’t really seem to be in Phil’s (Phil, the person, not Punk, the ) character. He’s only got 6 months left on his contact, so why would he leave now? The recent rumor is that Vince wants Punk back while HHH thinks Punk was being disrespectful.

There’s a lot of small details that lead me to believe this is a work being played extremely close to the vest. Though it’s mostly negative press, it’s press that’s gone mainstream at this point. People are interested in the story of Punk leaving, which means people will be interested in Punk’s return. This also takes some of the negative spotlight away from the Bryan situation.

I wouldn’t bet my house, but I have a sneaking suspicion this is a work to lead up to Punk’s match with HHH at Mania. Remember, it was rumored last year that a Vince/HHH power struggle would play out through Mania. At one point it was rumored that Punk would serve as Vince’s representative, ala Lashley during the Trump fued. It’s now reported that Vince and HHH have differing views on the situation.
So, Punk gets time off and Vince/HHH get to get one over on the smart marks of the IWC.

It’s a bit of a reach… but I can see this all playing out. It’s just a theory, not a fact, nothing I’m adamant about, but I am leaning toward Kayfabe at the moment.