Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectCan't disagree with him, but I think he's being a bit
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2283016&mesg_id=2283027
2283027, Can't disagree with him, but I think he's being a bit
Posted by Mignight Maruder, Wed Jan-01-14 01:42 PM
disingenuous about the situation. Of course there's going to be a vocal minority of fans/alumni who will never better be satisfied w/ Paterno's replacement. But he's lying to himself if he thinks the majority of PSU fans didn't support and respect the heck out him.

I thought he was a great coach given the circumstances. He revitalized the offense and even helped Matt McGloin look like a decent QB - that in of itself is a major accomplishment and testament to Bill O'Brien's ability to develop/coach QBs. He was able to land and help develop what looks to be the most promising true freshmen QB in the country - Christian Hackenberg.

His departure doesn't bother me because I knew it was inevitable. He never struck me as a college coach, and I'm sure he will be much happier in the NFL. Of course he will never admit it, but I'm sure deep down he never saw PSU as anything more than a stepping stone to the NFL.

Kudos and good luck to O'Brien. I will say this though - he better hope Wade Phillips stays on board as the D-Coordinator because his selection of d-coordinators was putrid.