Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjecty'all don't understand the nfl. dude (martin) is a 2nd rounder, right?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2256160&mesg_id=2257204
2257204, y'all don't understand the nfl. dude (martin) is a 2nd rounder, right?
Posted by poetx, Tue Nov-05-13 10:56 AM
in the nfl the best don't always play. and a 2nd rounder is no lock.

especially in a position group like "OL" there's a lot of shit about cohesion and unity, chemistry, etc.

as a rookie, when shit ain't guaranteed, and you're trying to learn the ropes, 'fitting in', can be the difference between the older guys taking you under their wing and showing you how to do shit vs. you being shunned and left to fend for dolo, which makes it harder to stick on a roster.

unless you are just an incredible talent, and that talent is obvious to everyone watching you, you have a huge dependency on 'fitting in', and a lot of pressure to conform.

if the unofficial 'consensus' around the locker room is that you are 'soft' or 'aloof' or 'not a team player', position coaches, and coordinators are taking that into account.

THAT's the backdrop to this shit. 2nd rounder is high, but these cats ain't making millionS with an s. they trying to get established and last long enough to hit that second contract. if he busts incognito upside the dome w/ a 45lb barbell, that MIGHT be frowned upon, or they may say way to go.

this shit is just as dumb as frat culture (beat my ass for 8 wks so i can call you brother for life? fuck that shit in its entirety). but many ppl do the math and it's worth it. what's more fucked up here, though, is that this isn't just some social club. this is his 9-5, and his ability to cope w/ this bullshit withOUT seeming like a pussy can determine whether he is set for life, or looking to sell cars or insurance in 2 yrs.

unfortunately, all this type of stuff is a distortion of real life skills and needs. you DO need to be able to demonstrate that you can work with others, adapt to some levels of psychological pressures and stress and still perform, navigate through difficult social settings, prove your worth, blah blah blah. but this 'it was done to me' mentality takes stuff to such stupid extremes that any semblance of benefit is way outweighed by the bullshit.

i'm echoing some of the other cats who point the fingers at the other vet players, as well as coaches and brass. this was some fuckery all the way around. and if dude DID have some depression / suicide attempts? this way beyond fucked up. like, unspeakably fucked up.

when i played football in college, when i was a freshman, at the end of training camp / 2 a days, we had to get up and sing on the tables in training table. part of that's my personality, i was like, fuckit, went on second, rapped, kilt shit, and got props from the older cats.

but that was the extent of our 'hazing'.

class after mine, cats was duct taping them to poles in the middle of the quad in they draws, and pouring baby powder and shaving cream on 'em.

i'm looking at them like wtf? my class just ain't go for that shit. we'd be fighting.

peace & blessings,

x.

www.twitter.com/poetx

=========================================
** i move away from the mic to breathe in