Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectThe narrative on Bradley is finally starting to change
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2244715&mesg_id=2245848
2245848, The narrative on Bradley is finally starting to change
Posted by Lightfoot, Mon Oct-14-13 08:55 AM
The common refrain I heard about Bradley for years was that he does nothing great, but does everything well and simply perseveres based on his sheer willpower.

That's not at all true. And I was happy to hear Kellerman in particular start to shift that narrative as Bradley outboxed one of the greatest boxers of our generation. Bradley's determination is obviously a factor in his success, but it's not any greater than that of Marquez, who is almost pathologically competitive.

Bradley beat Marquez--and has become a top 5-10 P4P fighter--based mostly on two things, in my opinion:

1) exceptional ring smarts (with occasional pride-driven lapses--see his fights with Holt and especially Provodnikov). Bradley knows how to use his jab, his lead right, his lateral movement, etc. to give himself the advantage for as many moments of the fight as possible.

2) more importantly, freakishly good reflexes. I've pointed this out before, but almost everyone who loses to Bradley (excluding those who won't admit they lost) acknowledges how hard it is to find him. And that is true--when Bradley is being defensive minded, he is always right in front of you and is still damn near impossible to hit.

I'm not saying Bradley is Sweet Pea, but he's the closest thing we have to Sweet Pea in this generation of fighters (and Sweet Pea had his own lapses e.g. his fight against Roger Mayweather). His elusiveness is unreal, and that more than anything else has been his ticket.