Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHe also allowed Greg Knapp to get hired
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2242323&mesg_id=2242369
2242369, He also allowed Greg Knapp to get hired
Posted by MothershipConnection, Mon Oct-07-13 02:23 PM
Basically losing a year of development time by hiring one of the most rigid offensive minds in all of football to run a system that completely did not suit the personnel of his team (an offense that was actually pretty good under Hue Jack, mind you).

I think Reggie has some good processes but is a bit rigid in his thinking. I like that he doesn't want to waste precious cap space on bad contracts and would rather eat it for a year to get real flexibility. I like that he values draft picks and tries to stockpile as many as he can. The guys he's targeted for resigning (Jano, Veldheer, Houston, Reece) are all worth resigning. I like that he'll cut his losses when he's made a mistake (Flynn). However I think he's been a bit rigid in the way he wants to play football. He wanted to run a West Coast, Packers style system so he hired a WCO OC (Knapp) and went after a pocket passing QB the year later (Flynn) even though that doesn't really fit existing personnel. He hasn't exactly hit on any of his draft picks yet, all will be forgiven if Hayden or Watson (if he ever plays) turn into a star, but up til now none of his picks have wowed me.

If this year keeps playing out like this, Reggie and Allen definitely deserve at least another year. But at some point Reggie has to acquire some difference makers, the only potential one so far is Pryor and he was inherited with the team.