Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectSchaefer Ponders Mayweather vs. Khan at Wembley
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2229674&mesg_id=2230831
2230831, Schaefer Ponders Mayweather vs. Khan at Wembley
Posted by michaelo, Sun Sep-15-13 01:57 PM
Schaefer Ponders Mayweather vs. Khan at Wembley
Posted by: Rick Reeno on 9/15/2013 .

By Rick Reeno

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has a tough job ahead of him - finding the next opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr. (45-0, 26KOs), who plans to fight again on May 3. The current landscape is not exactly showering down opponents who would come close to this past Saturday's record-breaking event. Mayweather dominated Saul "Canelo" Alvarez over twelve rounds at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The gate alone cracked the $20 million dollar mark.

One possibility, says Schaefer, would be a fight between Mayweather and British star Amir Khan - at Wembley Stadium.

A lot of things need to happen before Mayweather-Khan is made. First, Schaefer is close to finalizing a fight between Khan and IBF welterweight champion Devon Alexander (25-1, 14KOs) for December 7th. Khan would have to win that fight and that is far from a guarantee. Then, Schaefer would have to convince Mayweather to fight somewhere other than the MGM Grand, which hosted Mayweather's last eight fights. Mayweather has not fought outside of Las Vegas since 2005. However, he has discussed the possibility of traveling overseas to fight in the UK.

"What we know is that power and size is not going to beat Floyd. We saw that tonight. So maybe speed will? I don't know. I can tell you that we have to promote events. I don't know if this is possible financially. I have not done any plans or looked at what the tax issues are and all of that - but I can tell you one thing, Floyd Mayweather against Amir Khan from the Wembley Stadium - there would be 100,000 people....no question about it. We have to see financially what makes the most sense. I have an unbelievable relationship with the MGM, they are my friends. You have to look at all of the different options on the table and then go through a process of elimination. When Floyd fought Hatton here, it was a big event as well," Schaefer said.