Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAn Early Pirates are .500 Celebration post, all are welcome
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2224223
2224223, An Early Pirates are .500 Celebration post, all are welcome
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Sep-02-13 07:24 AM
I hate having to make this post early, but I am fairly confident that they will not be jinxed at this point and I will be out of the country (hopefully) when they win game 81 and did not want to miss my chance to celebrate before it was old news.

There are few real Pirates fans left, but this is something we deserve for possibly being the most loyal fans in the history of sports...for the bandwagon jumpers or everyone who just enjoys a good story: come along, it's a fun ride for everyone.

So first of all:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/crazy-celebration.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/when-your-favorite-tv-show-comes-back-from-a-break.gif

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/celebrate.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0sjrlYwol1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0qqyi0KKu1qgcra2o1_500.gif

Some facts for you:

As of September 2 2013 I'm 31 years old and married. The last September the Pirates had 81 or more wins:

- I was 10 years old (not married)
- George Bush Sr was President
- Bud Selig became the interim commisioner of baseball
- End of the Road was the #1 song in the country
- Ruby Ridge and Hurricane Andrew had just happened
- School Ties, Last of the Mohicans,and Captain Ron were released in theaters. The Mighty Ducks came out that October
- A gallon of gas was $1.05

The Pirates roster that year included (besides the obvious)
Kirk Gibson, Lloyd McClendon, Tim Wakefield and Bob Walk

I could go on and list all kinds of things that have happened since the Pirates were last .500 including 3 presidents who each had 2 terms, the internet, and many players who play for your favorite teams being born.

The point is this is historic, what happens in the playoffs and the rest of the way, that is house money, icing on the cake. This is seriously the kind of thing that I think most people can't even fathom as sports fans because none of you have ever gone through it. It's a record across the 4 major American sports and probably one that will never be broken.

People have lived their entire lives and gone to college never seeing the the Pirates have a winning season. This really should be America's team. If you have no rooting interest in the rest of the baseball season or your team is out, there is no reason for you not to be pulling for the Pirates.

Let's celebrate this thing that should never be a real accomplishment because it's just a .500 season, yet is a really big deal.
2224224, I'm pulling for ya'll, it's been a brutal run.
Posted by Jayson Willyams, Mon Sep-02-13 07:28 AM
Few things can touch the lows of rooting for the Lions, so it takes things like two decades of sustained "we don't even have a chance" to move my needle for other teams. I won't congratulate you yet, even if it's almost a mathematical certainty, but good luck.

Hope Byrd gets a big hit for you in them 'offs.
2224249, Yeah, cosign.
Posted by Buck, Mon Sep-02-13 09:40 AM
2224227, Really like what the Pirates are doin.
Posted by Ceej, Mon Sep-02-13 07:51 AM
Proper moves for a team goin for it.

I got em in the series.
2224234, That's beyond something I can even imagine
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Sep-02-13 08:21 AM
I'm now ready to accept we will break .500 with 2 wins needed, still have reservations about even making the playoffs despite ESPN giving us a 98% chance or whatever.

The World Series? Can't even picture how that works.

Hopefully these moves will help because our offense is becoming anemic and our pitching is starting to get a little worse. I honestly have trouble seeing past the 1 game wildcard and pretty much have 0 faith in winning the division, but 20 years of losing does that to you.
2224228, cngratulations
Posted by CherNic, Mon Sep-02-13 07:57 AM
2224244, long time coming...congrats
Posted by Binlahab, Mon Sep-02-13 09:26 AM
my pops whole side of the fam is in pgh, many a summer was spent riding up and down the hill district, then out in wilkinsburg or homewood. i got love for the burgh

my 1st live games were @ 3 rivers during the bonds/bonilla/van slyke era & youre 100% right on the suffering fan base shit

does it even matter?
2224253, Even though were locked in a division battle with you guys I like the...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-02-13 10:03 AM
Pirates, we have one more series at Busch this weekend and there's a chance we could see each other again in the playoffs.
2224255, Congrats, even tho 'Burgh have 2 SB winners since last .500 Pirates team
Posted by mtbatol, Mon Sep-02-13 10:06 AM
that's still a whole lot of awful for one team to be offset by a couple championship parades.. given how much longer baseball season is :\
2224262, Plus I'm not a Steelers fan
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Sep-02-13 10:29 AM
Realize that is a rare case, but in my situation.....yikes
2224358, Now you have me confused, like how can u live & be sane :/
Posted by mtbatol, Mon Sep-02-13 04:35 PM
What about the Penguins at least? Think they won a cup or two along with a longer season to carry you :\

Whatever the case, hope this season have you drawing back on whatever meds your shrink prescribed to you :\
2224359, yea im from pittsburgh and i meet non-steelers fans its one of two things
Posted by tomjohn29, Mon Sep-02-13 04:43 PM
father aint shit or they were born in the low points of the franchise
2224360, lol...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-02-13 04:49 PM
>father aint shit or they were born in the low points of the
>franchise
>
2224275, I know you're not thinking this far...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Sep-02-13 11:38 AM
but it's gonna be tough sledding for your boys in terms of the division race. As of the end of this week, the Cardinals are done with division opponents...meanwhile Pittsburgh and Cincy have to play each other like 6 or 7 more times.
2224277, I have 0 expectations to win the division
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Sep-02-13 11:46 AM
Maybe I'm a pessimist, maybe I'm a realist, but my real hope is that we get to host the wildcard game. The city deserves a playoff game, not a 1 and out road game.
2224290, It's still very wide open, prior to yesterday's win we were blown out...
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-02-13 12:12 PM
in three straight by the Reds and Pirates combined. We play them 7 times over the next 7 days, anything can happen.

We need Wainright to come out like Wainright today in Cincy and not that imposter that got shelled for 9 runs in 2 innings just 5 days ago against the Reds at Busch.

The rest of our pitching staff is all first and second year guys. Anything can happen.
2224321, Card's bullpen as a whole is getting worn the fuck out...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Sep-02-13 01:27 PM
because no one besides Waino can seem to go more than like 5 innings. They "rested" Waino a couple of weeks ago and then the start before the one you mentioned, let him throw damn near 130 pitches, cuz they needed someone to pitch deep into a fucking game for a change.
2224328, He's getting rocked again today
Posted by ThaTruth, Mon Sep-02-13 01:50 PM
2224330, right....
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Sep-02-13 01:54 PM
and down 4 in the 6th inning and just about to break 100 pitches, he's still in, because Matheny doesn't want to dip into that bullpen again. This is the kind of game Westbrook ass should be used for.
2224284, Congrats from a Brewers fan
Posted by cantball, Mon Sep-02-13 11:59 AM
I remember when they broke their shit spell. The day they made the playoffs with CC is probably my best moment as a sports fan.

That includes my alma maters Sweet 16 and 2 Packers SBs

Behold my works,ye mighty
2224298, it really is pretty incredible, the Royals came close but even they
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Sep-02-13 12:32 PM
mustered up 83 wins in I believe '03 & '93 (their playoff-missing streak is longer though).

The stretch has been almost as long as Philly's title-less streak across all four sports from 83 to 08.

I think Pittsburgh won five titles collectively in that stretch (even though I know you don't root for the Steelers, just sayin).

I'll ride for The Buccos this go-round tho, might as well.

Word to Kent Tekulve.

I recall being 10 myself when I was still going with my pop to The Vet to see the Phillies seemingly play the Pirates four times a year (we had a 16-game plan but they seemed to stack us with Pittsburgh games) back when Barry & Bobby Bo were babies in '87 or so.

Bucco fans were less annoying than the Steeler fans I would come across as I got older.

And honestly I ain't seen those fans now in ages, baseball doesn't even feel like the same sport anymore to me really.

Pirates moved to another division, MLB once #1 is now more like 3rd but the go-to for old folks & stat nerds, etc.

I'm getting off track, it's been a long time since y'all & .500 been acquainted, so welcome back & good luck trying to knock the Dodgers off track.
2224314, nah, it's not too early, and congrats.
Posted by pretentious username, Mon Sep-02-13 01:17 PM
but if they fuck this up they should just fold the team. not for awfulness, but it is not fair to put your fans through this every year.
2224315, Ha if they manage to not win 2 more they should go in the HOF
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Sep-02-13 01:19 PM
2224488, last time pirates were .500....
Posted by theprofessional, Tue Sep-03-13 02:22 AM
i was sleeping in a bunk bed listening to games under the covers. lanny frattare's call on bonds' walk-off HR in this game is still burned in my memory (didn't even see the video of it till the 6:00 news the next day):

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/PIT/PIT199108120.shtml

not even gonna pretend like i stuck it out though. i jumped ship sometime around the end of the giles era. still think MLB's salary situation is a joke, and it's dumb to get invested in a sport where your team is playing with two arms tied behind its back every year.

i also think breaking the streak is counterproductive in a way. the pirates situation had become such a national embarrassment, i was hoping it would spark some sort of movement towards revenue sharing, a salary cap, or anything to level the playing field. that's over now, as MLB can point to the 2013 pirates and say anyone can win under the current system. but it was probably a lost cause anyway. baseball really is america's game, where the rich are given every possible advantage while the poor get sold a dream year after year.

whatever. i'll root for the pirates. i'm happy for the team and happy for a city that deserves way better than this. but really, all this hoopla over a .500 season is kind of pathetic. these are table scraps. better than starving, sure, but you're still eating off the floor.
2224500, clint hurdle is y'alls buck showalter
Posted by philpot, Tue Sep-03-13 06:57 AM
im pulling for the Bucs in the NL since the Nats failed this year
2224866, Party like it's 1992
Posted by Call It Anything, Wed Sep-04-13 12:15 AM
2224868, Much respect.
Posted by Virgenes Corazon, Wed Sep-04-13 12:54 AM
Cubs fans cried about Bartman, meanwhile the Bartman year would have been a good year in Pirates land.

So for you, this commemorative gif:
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lr8n0wclwY1r1ruwoo1_500.gif
2225060, It is done...PLUS a two game division lead
Posted by Dstl1, Wed Sep-04-13 01:01 PM
2228721, 100 moments from the Pirates losing streak- amusing read
Posted by Y2Flound, Wed Sep-11-13 07:35 AM
This is really long, but some great moments highlighted here, some I didn't even know like this story:

67. Daniel Moskos drafted instead of Matt Wieters (6/7/2007) – I’ve pointed out how Littlefield passed over hard-to-sign players for guys who were signable with lower upsides. Bryan Bullington over B.J. Upton. Neil Walker over Jered Weaver. If you want another story, how about Brad Lincoln. The Pirates took Lincoln fourth overall that year. A lot of more successful pitchers went after Lincoln. Two years ago I was told a story from a scout with the Pirates at the time. I mentioned how the scouts begged Littlefield to take McCutchen in 2005. They didn’t win in 2006. The scouts loved a left-handed prep pitcher that year. They loved him so much that Littlefield went to see him pitch. It was a cold game, and the lefty had a bad outing. Based on that one start, Littlefield crossed the guy off the list, even though his scouts were high on this player. Who was that pitcher? Clayton Kershaw.
2235744, PIRATES....PLAYOFFS....RAISE IT....BUCTOBER...HOLY FUCK
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Sep-23-13 10:02 PM
2235756, IM NOT GONNA SLEEP FOR DAYS
Posted by Y2Flound, Mon Sep-23-13 10:20 PM
Winning the game on a play at the plate too, some sweet irony.
2235763, congrats to the Pirates....genuinely happy for the team and
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Mon Sep-23-13 10:37 PM
their fans...
2235777, BUCTOBER!!! FUCK THEM EMODODGERS
Posted by ViolentCeej, Mon Sep-23-13 10:52 PM
2235781, Congrats to the Buccos and their fans
Posted by LA2Philly, Mon Sep-23-13 11:02 PM
Long time to wait but glad ya'll broke that dry spell.
2235814, screw it, i'm in
Posted by theprofessional, Tue Sep-24-13 01:56 AM
always and forever, eff major league baseball, but i'm not sitting out the playoffs. can't do it. mlb.tv here i come.