Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBasic question: best running shoes upto $100
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2218391
2218391, Basic question: best running shoes upto $100
Posted by odot27, Tue Aug-13-13 02:03 PM
Suggestions?

I'm looking at the New Balance Minimus range, and the Nike Free's (one-ish years old now).

I'll be doing cross-training, light running, long distance over mostly track/pavement/loose gravel.

2218407, minimus are cool...
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-13-13 02:25 PM
Brooks Pureconnect are one of my faves, but the best running shoes you will EVER own will be when you go to a run store and get personally fitted.
2218415, if you're looking for a minimal-esque shoe, try Brook Pure Connect
Posted by John Forte, Tue Aug-13-13 02:32 PM
note that I didn't say minimalist.
2218418, lol...did you peep my reply? Them joints are the truth....
Posted by Dstl1, Tue Aug-13-13 02:37 PM
I got em in 4 colors. That's damn near all I wore this summer unless I was at work.
2218451, Only for the narrow-footed
Posted by B9, Tue Aug-13-13 03:48 PM
they are built an a really narrow last, even compared to the other Pure range shoes.
2218427, great post.. I only run in asics..
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Aug-13-13 02:48 PM
People have suggested New Balance & Brooks but I haven't tried a pair yet..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html
2218440, me too, am i big asics fan
Posted by charlie bucket, Tue Aug-13-13 03:08 PM
2218443, Peep this
Posted by TurkeylegJenkins, Tue Aug-13-13 03:12 PM
http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-guide/spring-2013
2218452, RW is a bit bullshit; they shill hard.
Posted by B9, Tue Aug-13-13 03:50 PM
They turned into a PR machine for adidas' Bounce compound for a few months just recently. Plus, I don't trust their stint measurements or their inability to say something really critical, given their close-ties to their advertisers.

2218454, Difficult to say "which shoes are best" without more info
Posted by B9, Tue Aug-13-13 03:57 PM
Are you new to running? Distance goals? Trails or roads? Have a gait check? Have an obvious foot type (high/flat arches)? Are you trying to go towards a midfoot strike (the mention of the Minimus line)?

About me: I'm 5'5", 150, run 30-40 miles a week plus CrossFit or just lift at least 5 days a week, have been running for years and had a number of knee injuries (not related to but aggravated by running) and transitioned to a midfoot strike about three years ago, have been pain free since. Currently I run in:

New Balance MR10v2 and MT10v2 (if you do Minimus, don't fuck with the 20s...not worth your time) for almost my running.
Brooks PureGrit2 for trails.
Brooks PureDrift2 (wear test pair, they'll be out next winter; also have the current version which I can't stand due to the upper material) if I want something with a bit more cushion than the Minimus.
Saucony Virrata for really long runs.

2218535, How come you're only 5'5"....run ~35 MPW & are 150 lbs+
Posted by FILF, Tue Aug-13-13 10:04 PM
you must eat like a pig or have an extraordinarily low metabolism.
2218590, I also have a 30" waist and can deadlift 3x my body weight
Posted by B9, Wed Aug-14-13 10:30 AM
with a 260 backsquat and 185 C&J. Muscle weighs more than fat.
2218592, hehehe 30" waste
Posted by veritas, Wed Aug-14-13 10:48 AM
2218605, Wow these details
Posted by odot27, Wed Aug-14-13 11:36 AM
I haven't ever considered all that.

I'm not new to running, but I also haven't done it for years, unfortunately. I used to run cross country back in high school and early college. I'm 23, 5'8", with a normal arch, I think. Not injury prone. Looking to start running again, plain and simple. Not so much about goals yet.

According to http://rw.runnersworld.com/images/shoe-guides/spring-2013-shoe-guide.pdf:

I think there are quite a few options. I've been told Asics would be really good, but I'd like something a bit more minimal. I'm thinking the New Balance's match up, and the Adidas Energy Boost according to the above flowchart.

What are your (all of your) thoughts on Skechers running shoes though? I've been seeing them around in a bunch of stores, and they're quiet light and seem flexible enough. Any reviews/comments? I can't shake their "mid-90's pre-teen look" that dominated my childhood. It's hard to take them seriously, but I'm willing to rethink it.
2218620, the brand name of Sketchers are hard to take the GoRuns serious
Posted by B9, Wed Aug-14-13 12:18 PM
but they are actually a pretty remarkable shoe (that said, I've only ever tried the GoRun 2) from the same company responsible for ShapeUps. The price is pretty nice, too, especially since you can find them at outlet mall shoe stores and the like. I ultimately didn't stick with them because the compound in the midsole gets a real "dead" feeling quick on and they have this weird fulcrum point in the arch that takes some time getting used to that just didn't translate well to the other shoes I run in.

I love the Minimus line and would normally say to go for it, but it is a somewhat extreme experience to jump back into running with. It will take you much longer to ramp up your miles just attuning to the musculature and skeletal demands of a shoe with as little cushion and structure as they have, especially when you should be working on your aerobic base your first few months. I advocate them big time in the long run, but not sure about right out of the gate.

If you want something minimal friendly but won't beat up your feet, give the Saucony Kinvara or Brooks PureFlow a shot. The drop is similar to the 4MM of the Miminus MT/MR10s, but have 6-10mm more of cushion without any posting (the junk put in "control" or "stabilization" shoes). If that's the direction you want to go and you want to stick with Asics, the Lyte33 is the closest to a minimal shoe that Asics does. Them and adidas (and until recently Mizuno) have not really gotten involved with minimalism and don't appear to have much motivation to get into the category.

Really, what Walleye said is accurate: you have to just try shoes on. Find a good specialty store and try on as many pairs as you can. Or do the stupid thing like I do and develop a bit of a running shoe addiction.
2218713, I just tried the Kinvara actually!
Posted by odot27, Wed Aug-14-13 03:40 PM
I went out today and took some of these tips with me.

The Kinvara seems like the winner. I tried on the Vittara too, but I prefer the lightness of the Kinvara, on top of being way thinner and minimal.

I looked around for all of these Asics/Brooks models, but they don't sell them where I live. I'm actually surprised they carry Saucony.

I'll wait a day or two more to check out one other store that has a load of running shoes, but most probably going to pull the trigger on the Kinvara.

Also, I have a camera addiction. It's called Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).
2218455, Sadly, there's only one good way to know
Posted by Walleye, Tue Aug-13-13 04:00 PM
Buy something and give it a try. You'll waste some money on the way, but if you're smart about why a shoe isn't working for you then you can narrow down the search quickly.

And once you find a pair you like, buy a whole fucking stack of them because they wont be around for long.
2218463, I got Asics GT-2000 shoes for like $110 and I love them
Posted by KosherSam, Tue Aug-13-13 04:31 PM
first time I haven't gotten shin splints while running, and they're great with my flat feet.
2218498, I swear by the GT-2160s.. I just got a pair of GT-1000s...
Posted by LegacyNS, Tue Aug-13-13 06:41 PM
since I can't get the 2160 no more.. *tear*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<---- 5....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlgiritpmfo

=======================================
Occupy Big Government..

Fannie, Freddie dole out big bonuses
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1011/67292.html
2218623, i'm new to running
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Wed Aug-14-13 12:27 PM
but i have 2 pairs of the New Balance Minimus:

these for the treadmill and gym:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/2689250020406076556?q=new+balance+minimus&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.50723672,d.b2I,pv.xjs.s.en_US.kOth2ObowFc.O&biw=1280&bih=667&tch=1&ech=1&psi=I7sLUsbBIKXT2QXwrICABg.1376500519973.6&sa=X&ei=XrsLUqn-FKTY2gXwv4GYCg&ved=0CKkBEL8TMAI

and these for the hike and bike trail:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16523709003647235219?biw=1280&bih=667&q=new+balance+minimus+trail&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=pv.xjs.s.en_US.kOth2ObowFc.O&tch=1&ech=1&psi=I7sLUsbBIKXT2QXwrICABg.1376500660698.3&sa=X&ei=u7sLUvj4D-Wp2gWq54GQBg&ved=0CGkQvxMwAQ

i ran for about 3 months in a pair of Nikes and when I switched to these Mimimus' there was an adjustment period. because of the way the shoes are designed, i had to break them and my lower leg in for about a week or so before i felt comfortable running.

the first day i didn't run very far, maybe a mile or so but my ankles and feet were sore for a couple of days afterwards. the shoes are really light and don't have cushioning so your stride has to be really 'precise' and the shoes don't absorb the impact so i had to learn to run 'lighter' on the treadmill. but i find that my balance while running is better with these shoes than when i ran in the Nike's.

i don't run very far and from the research I looked at, it's not wise to run more than 5 - 10 miles in these shoes at once. i generally only to about a mile and half or so each session so that's not an issue for me, but i felt the distance issue is worth mentioning.