Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRecap of Morey interview on the situation from 790 Houston
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2203701&mesg_id=2204758
2204758, Recap of Morey interview on the situation from 790 Houston
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Jul-02-13 08:48 AM
First part courtesy of Good Old JR!

-(How many more days in LA?) I'm here an undetermined amount of time. I'd say, people know our goals in free agency. We had a good meeting with Dwight. Turns out LA is the center hub of most of the free agents out there. A good spot to be during this intense time.

-(Manu Ginobili?) I'll avoid talking about who we are going after or not going after. Our focus is Dwight and full speed ahead. We'll see what happens. We're right in there with some other good teams and I like what we were able to put together and I hope he did.

-(Reason for why he wouldn't choose Houston?) No I don't. We're biased. We think it's his best shot. His questions were about winning and how he could be a championship contender with Harden. His line of questioning was good because it lined up with what we had to offer. He'd be a great addition.

-(Did he ask about specific players or getting other guys?) He didn't bring that up. He did bring up something I think is reasonable, which is to be involved. Know what our plans are, what we're thinking about doing so he can provide feedback. Like I told James, I'm a partner by nature. I like explaining, walking players through the plan and getting their feedback.

-(Take us around the table) Everyone participated. It was really impressive. James, Chandler both are great recruiters. We were happy they could join us. It was important for Dwight to see how committed his teammates would be. Mr. Alexander the key guy. Dwight knows that's who he is joining. Myself, Coach McHale, Tad are the key folks Mr. Alexander puts his trust in so he got to meet us as well. Obviously some dazzle with Dream and Clyde there. Even amazing for me to be with them and to have them describe what it is to win a championship. There will probably never be another Clyde and Dream but we're hoping Dwight and James, with a good supporting cast, can take down the Heat and give us a shot. My job won't be done if Dwight chooses us. We'll try and upgrade the team. The coolest moment is when Yao skyped in. Yao is amazing. He had a whole pitch ready, which none of us talked to him about. We thought he would make fun of Dwight. He had a whole pitch ready. It was really cool.

-(Mutombo do something as well?) His message to Dwight was most touching because how important community is to Dwight. Dikembe is one of the best players of all time in terms of impacting people outside the game. It affected me so I'm hoping it affected Dwight.

-(Mutombo going to bat for you guys) Shockingly I agree. It really is impressive. I have to credit CD and Mr. Alexander. The relationships built over time, luckily I caught the tail end of Dikembe's career and got to have a great relationship with him but from Elvin Hayes to Hakeem to Ralph to Dream to Yao to Dikembe, Clyde, these are guys who identify themselves with the Rockets but Dikembe and Clyde spent most of their careers away from Houston but Houston is the place they advocate for.

-(Comment on the strength coach? Was that getting someone who has a comfort level with Dwight?) That was totally unrelated. We were looking to upgrade that spot. As soon as the Magic let us talk to him, he's a guy that we had our eye on because we heard such good things about him. People will call bull**** or whatever but that was unrelated. We thought he was the best guy out there.

____________________________________________________________ _________________________________________
-Host asks where Jeremy Lin stands with Rox because he wasn't at meeting.

-Daryl: Dwight is excited to play with Omer and Jeremy. He's seen the rumors. Dwight likes that the ROX are team China and likes that Jeremy attacks as a guard. He likes Omer. Their names have been out there in rumors. Rumor that Omer would be available is not true. Originally they were trying to create room people called IN about Jeremy and Omer. Not looking to move either.

-Host: So if you could sign Dwight and keep the lineup in tact you'd want to do that? Keep Omer in starting lineup with Dwight?

-Daryl: No. They wouldn't play together, maybe sometimes in experiments. We feel with both playing (Omer as backup) they have top 10 defense on floor at all times.

-Host: Omer would be a HUGE luxury though?

-Daryl: Yeah, people say that but we don't look at it that way. What Omer would bring in his minutes is bigger than what another player would bring that we would trade him for. An upgrade at the 4 wouldn't bring as much to the team as Omer in 15-20 minutes.

-Host: You are just worried about the drop off in rebounding.

-Daryl: Dwight was #1 impact defender in league and Omer was top 5.

-Host: Dwight is plan A. If you don't get Dwight would you try to float the cap space? No long term deal? Or is good plan B out there?

-Daryl: Couple of things. If we don't get Dwight we will be HURT. We would NOT have done TROB deal. We've gambled on Dwight. We are waiting on him and missing other moves in free agency, but we are fully committed to bringing Dwight here.

-Host: Recap: Most important thing you said is that Jeremy Lin and Omer are not available. Only last resort if S&T to get dwight?

-Daryl: No sign and trade to get Dwight. Lakers are not interested in doing that. We have the room to sign him on the 10th and we hope he goes our direction.