Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectDid he hit, tho?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2182716&mesg_id=2182716
2182716, Did he hit, tho?
Posted by ThaTruth, Sat May-18-13 02:56 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/18/3404176/dwyane-wade-surprises-local-miami.html

Posted on Saturday, 05.18.13

Dwyane Wade would have been in Chicago for a Heat playoff game Friday night if he hadn’t helped eliminate the Bulls with a big fourth quarter two nights early.

So how did Wade fill the opening on his schedule?

By attending the senior prom of an Archbishop Coleman Carroll student who had asked Wade multiple times to attend school events with her.

Wade surprised Nicole Muxo and her classmates at the West Kendall school by showing up just before 9:30 p.m. at the LaJolla Ballroom in Coral Gables. Last month, Muxo asked Wade in a YouTube video to be her date for the prom.

“My senior prom is coming up and I have everything set for a perfect night except for one thing: a perfect date,” Muxo said in the video.

Met by tipped-off TV reporters outside the ballroom Friday night, Wade credited her persistence.

“She continued to keep going for it – no matter how many times I said I am going to be busy,” Wade said.

Wade said Muxo sent her a direct message on Twitter on Thursday saying: “This is the address, this is where I’m going to be just in the case.”

Wade said “when I got that, I said, “I won’t be doing nothing tomorrow night and I can go and make this a memorable moment for her.”

Wade called Muxo moments before walking into the prom “to tell her to have a good night” but did not tell her that he was outside.

“And then I got off the phone and walked in. It was kind of cool,” he said.

Muxo told reporters that she invited Wade because “he’s my favorite player and I think he’s a positive role model.”

Said Muxo: “I was so surprised. I didn’t expect it at all.”

Muxo’s date, Laurent Chaumin, was a good sport. “At least we both know how to dress,” he said.

Wade cracked, “I’m the third wheel. I’m like both their dates.”

Afterward, Wade posted on Twitter: “I had a blast at Prom. Never be 2 scared to ask.”

This wasn’t the first time Muxo asked Wade to accompany her to a school function. She attended one of his book signings last fall and asked him to a homecoming dance, writing the request on a bookmark. She said Wade asked for her Twitter name so he could contact her with a response.

“But the season was about to start,” she said. “He had practice so he couldn’t make it.”

Muxo went to another booking signing the next day, wearing a T-shirt that said “A Father First” and “A Homecoming Date Second.” Wade instantly recognized her.

“I’m going to remember it forever,” Muxo said of Friday’s prom. “This was the highlight of my senior year.”