Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectBoston Celtics Official 2013 Offseason Post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2175366
2175366, Boston Celtics Official 2013 Offseason Post
Posted by Lach, Mon May-06-13 11:41 AM
What next? I don't know. I feel like it's the mid 90s again. Trapped in the midst of another dominant player tearing up the league with no sign of us putting something together to challenge him any time soon. Who knows.

Stephen A was talking about rumors this morning of the Clippers having interest in KG, Pierce, and the services of Doc for Blake, Jordan, and Butler. Sounds like a crazy ass rumor. I'm wondering if there are legs in this tho.
2175368, how many blakes Clippers got cause i know that ain't about
Posted by Cenario, Mon May-06-13 11:43 AM
Griffin
2175393, It would be Bledsoe, not Blake.
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon May-06-13 12:11 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Griffin but it would be idiotic to trade Blake for KG and Pierce at this point in their careers. I'd assume the Clips would also throw in their pick or a future unprotected first.
2175369, that trade was out there before the deadline I believe
Posted by CherNic, Mon May-06-13 11:43 AM
not Doc lol. but def bringing in Pierce/KG to play with Paul

it's from Bill Simmons so take it how you want

" and they're (Clippers) just not big enough, something that easily could have been addressed in February had they pulled off an ambitious mega-deal for KG and Pierce that was definitely on the table, only their organization has so many chefs in the kitchen that they couldn't pull it off."

2175370, RE: Boston Celtics Official 2013 Offseason Post
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Mon May-06-13 11:44 AM
KG is retiring
Pierce is getting traded
Doc is leaving

We are left with Rondo, Bradley, Green, Sully, Lee, Bass, Terry etc. and some cap room.

I like the clippers rumor much better though.
2175394, BLOW IT UP!
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon May-06-13 12:13 PM
I'd trade everyone, tank for the 2014 draft, and build from scratch.

Although I think Ainge is going to build around Rondo and Green, maybe make a run at Josh Smith or possibly Tyreke Evans (who he supposedly has been a fan of.)
2175404, I'm looking at who's in the college ranks and I'm like ehhh
Posted by Lach, Mon May-06-13 12:31 PM
and knowing us we'd miss out on the best prospect coming out anyway. Seems like every chance we get at a #1, we miss it. I'm coming around to the idea of building around Rondo tho. I'm curious who we could get tho once we get KG and Pierce off the books. I dunno.
2175434, I'd tank for Wiggins or Jabari
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon May-06-13 01:08 PM
And getting Harrison or Marcus Smart isn't horrible either.

My biggest fear with Rondo is that he is coming back from a knee injury and is going to look to get paid in two years. Also, I feel like overpaying a point guard doesn't make a ton of sense in the NBA. You can usually get by with a good PG and spend your money elsewhere.

ANd I'd rather suck and play the lotto for a few years than have to rely on Rondo/Jeff Green as the core of the C's.
2175399, Paul is gone...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon May-06-13 12:23 PM
KG will stay another year, but we ain't winning shit, so he might as well go somewhere else. Rebuild around Rondo and Jeff. Sully will be back healthy. Deal Bass' bama ass while he still has some semblance of value.
2175405, yeah Bass needs to be gone
Posted by Lach, Mon May-06-13 12:31 PM
I thought he was on the right path last year but he disappointed the hell out of me this year. I'm done with him.
2175438, Bass, Terry and Lee are very hard to trade
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon May-06-13 01:11 PM
Bass has 2 years, 13 million left. Terry 2 years, 11 million. Lee has three years, 15 million. We'd probably have to ship our draft pick along with them to dump those contracts or take back a different useless person like Channing Frye or B-Easy.
2175406, Paul has to go. KG should probably follow. Sign Rondo's bff...
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon May-06-13 12:37 PM
that Micro-faced Josh Smith if you can get a nice little deal.

Make Avery Bradley do dribbling drills all summer long.

Get Sully right.

Sit and wait.

Don't give too much money to some dumbass.
2175427, SAS on First Take
Posted by melmag, Mon May-06-13 01:02 PM

just said theres talk of KG & Pierce for Blake, Butler & Bledsoe. KG would waive his no trade clause, but the kicker is Boston could buy out Doc's contract and ship him off to LA as well.

I think it works well for both squads tho. Clips get a respected, championship coach and two HOF bound veterans for one last shot at a ring with CP3.

Boston gets a superstar in Blake, but more importantly frees up some cap space
2175440, I hope the Clippers didn't watch the playoffs.
Posted by SoulHonky, Mon May-06-13 01:13 PM
Because there's no way you deal Blake for Paul and KG at this point. KG is basically guaranteed to be walking wounded by the playoffs and Pierce is on the decline.

CP3, Pierce, and KG aren't better than a healthy Thunder team. Shit, they might not even get home court advantage in the first round.
2175480, shhhh. If the Clips are dumb enough to do it... lol
Posted by Lach, Mon May-06-13 01:57 PM
2175514, Not Only That
Posted by RexLongfellow, Mon May-06-13 02:58 PM
Blake's probably the best type of player to put with Rondo. Dude wants to run, and has no problem throwing lobs to Griffin

Problem with that is, if Blake is tired of CP3 in his ear, Rondo will REALLY get on his nerves
2175516, Rondo is less abrasive. They'll go play Connect 4 then clothes shopping
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Mon May-06-13 03:03 PM
2175453, Will be a very interesting offseason
Posted by EmDub, Mon May-06-13 01:22 PM
I am not sure what they should do. I am ready to let PP go even though it would be weird seeing him in another uniform. I think KG can still contribute on a more limited basis which would mean getting a serviceable big man or three in.

The Clipper offer is intriguing to me.

I would try to trade Bass, Terry and/or Lee and try to get some fresh players in here.

2175519, This should be an interesting offseason all around.
Posted by Ryan M, Mon May-06-13 03:07 PM
Perhaps the most since the 2010 offseason.

Pretty big free agents with huge question marks in D12, CP3, and Josh Smith, then the Pierce/KG issues...this is gonna be good.
2175536, Yup...Lakers have a lot of questions too
Posted by EmDub, Mon May-06-13 03:46 PM
Resign Howard?
Trade Gasol?
Amnesty Kobe?

They need to make as many big decisions on their future as the C's.
2175543, If I'm Josh Smith *I'm* showing up at Danny Ainge's...
Posted by Dstl1, Mon May-06-13 03:54 PM
house with a custom made Celtics jersey with my name and number on it.
2175547, It's funny when ATL fans groan at every jumper he takes
Posted by Lach, Mon May-06-13 03:59 PM
The other night, all of Phillips was booing when he this one jumper.
2175546, I heard Stephen A this morning...
Posted by ChampD1012, Mon May-06-13 03:59 PM
sounds interesting...

not a big fan of losing Doc though...

Pierce should retire a Celtic and only play for them but he's at the end...and if we can some Clipper help..i'm for it...

KG is a warrior...odds are he will probably retire...don't think he wants to move to the West coast for just one season...
2180144, Pierce thinks he's being dealt
Posted by Lach, Tue May-14-13 06:51 PM
and with that, if KG retires we'll have a little bit of dough
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/paul-pierce-reportedly-expects-boston-celtics-either-deal-151417058.html
2180150, Yeah, I'd say 80% he's gone
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue May-14-13 07:05 PM
I think KG is on the block but unless we get a good deal, we'll hold onto him and maybe look to deal him again at the deadline.
2182679, Am I tripping for wanting to draft kelly olynyk?
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Sat May-18-13 12:08 PM
2203554, ^^^Dude is going to be a lot better than yall think..WATCH
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Fri Jun-28-13 10:32 PM
2203570, He doesn't fit a need
Posted by SoulHonky, Sat Jun-29-13 01:50 AM
Ainge said Kelly's a 4 and that he complements Sullinger, which means Sullinger is now playing center. Those two will be a pretty terrible defensive duo.

Kelly as a third big on the Bucks would have made some sense as Larry Sanders and John Henson actually do complement him well but the team that we have right now, Olynyk makes little sense.
2203590, You don't draft for need when you are rebuilding. You..
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Sat Jun-29-13 09:58 AM
draft BPA until you find a real potential cornerstone for your franchise going forward...unless you have an absolute stud at a certain position (Like using the pick on a pg when we have Rondo)...which Sullinger is not. I certainly wouldn't put it past Olynyk being better than Sullinger
2203603, Olynyk isn't a corner stone
Posted by SoulHonky, Sat Jun-29-13 12:16 PM
If you're rebuilding, you take the guy with the highest upside, which isn't Olynyk.

I just think he's a terrible fit for the Celtics and not someone who I think has a ton of potential as a starter. He would have made a lot of sense for some teams like the Bucks but I'd rather have rolled the dice on a high risk/high reward player and I certainly wouldn't have given up a 2014 2nd round pick, which will likely be one of the first in the 2nd round since we may be tanking, to get Kelly.
2203606, I hear you, but when he is balling, im selling you no stock lol
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Sat Jun-29-13 12:20 PM
2203612, it's hard to find a paul pierce at that point in the draft
Posted by cereffusion, Sat Jun-29-13 12:50 PM
2203555, I like the Nets trade too
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Fri Jun-28-13 10:32 PM
2203566, I dont know if this Doc - Simmons beef is funny or annoying
Posted by CherNic, Sat Jun-29-13 12:30 AM
2203568, It's Both
Posted by RexLongfellow, Sat Jun-29-13 01:16 AM
It's funny because some dickhead called out Doc Rivers on some bullshit
It's annoying because some dickhead called out Doc Rivers on some bullshit

As much as we on OKS use the phrase U MAD, the personification of that in Bill Simmons when the trade was made was hilarious...and he took all his emotions out on Doc Rivers. As stupid as the whole thing is, the look of pure anger and disbelief on his face was worth every minute
2203582, plus these tweets...like shut the fuck up Simmons
Posted by CherNic, Sat Jun-29-13 08:11 AM
“@BillSimmons: When I get home I'm signing up my 5 and a half year old son for Twitter so he can defend me against Doc Rivers' kids.”

“@BillSimmons: Good summary on how Doc contradicted himself all week: http://bit.ly/16EvmhC (Does not include his PTI waffling.) He needs to pick a story.”

“@brohrbach: Doc on @WEEI about @BillSimmons: "He did everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to sit down w/ owners to talk about it."”

“@BillSimmons: The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100 percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking. You are making sh*t up.”

And I'm a huge Simmons proponent...er, his writing anyway, but seriously get that hurt shit outta here
2203597, Wow...He's Really Taking This To The Next Level
Posted by RexLongfellow, Sat Jun-29-13 11:20 AM
It's like Doc Rivers broke up with him. And it's hilarious considering some of the shit he talks about other players (he was bashing Stoudemire and clowning him on the same broadcast)

He's calling him Glenn now? Dude needs to calm his ass down
2203615, apples n oranges
Posted by themaddfapper, Sat Jun-29-13 01:19 PM
And it's hilarious
>considering some of the shit he talks about other players (he
>was bashing Stoudemire and clowning him on the same
>broadcast)

tv talking heads are paid to opine on players, their performance, contracts, how it affects their teams, etc. part of the deal.

this:

“@brohrbach: Doc on @WEEI about @BillSimmons: "He did everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to sit down w/ owners to talk about it."”

“@BillSimmons: The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100 percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking. You are making sh*t up.”
>He's calling him Glenn now? Dude needs to calm his ass down

that's character assassination. that's saying i attempted to get you fired. if I ain't do it? FOH GLENN.

he can call simmons a fan, an idiot, stupid talking head, I don't think simmons has a problem with that. which is why he talks the shit he does he knows there's blowback.

i came for your job? I wrote letters? show me the receipts(c)Nippy
if not you're talking real slick & your first name is the most civil thing I'm gonna call you.
2203616, See, I Don't Buy That
Posted by RexLongfellow, Sat Jun-29-13 01:31 PM
> And it's hilarious
>>considering some of the shit he talks about other players
>(he
>>was bashing Stoudemire and clowning him on the same
>>broadcast)
>
>tv talking heads are paid to opine on players, their
>performance, contracts, how it affects their teams, etc. part
>of the deal.
You can't just talk all sorts of shit and then get emo when one of these athletes responds in a "less than classy" way. The world don't work like that

>this:
>
>“@brohrbach: Doc on @WEEI about @BillSimmons: "He did
>everything he could to get me fired. Wrote letters, wanted to
>sit down w/ owners to talk about it."”
>
>“@BillSimmons: The quote I just retweeted is an outright, 100
>percent lie. I'd be careful, Glenn. Seriously. Stop talking.
>You are making sh*t up.”
>>He's calling him Glenn now? Dude needs to calm his ass down
>
>that's character assassination. that's saying i attempted to
>get you fired. if I ain't do it? FOH GLENN.
>
>he can call simmons a fan, an idiot, stupid talking head, I
>don't think simmons has a problem with that. which is why he
>talks the shit he does he knows there's blowback.
>
>i came for your job? I wrote letters? show me the
>receipts(c)Nippy
>if not you're talking real slick & your first name is the most
>civil thing I'm gonna call you.
Wait, Simmons STARTED ALL OF THIS
He called dude a QUITTER on TV...those are FIGHTING WORDS to any athlete or coach. You gonna talk all that and NOT KNOW the entire situation, come on. Simmons deserves every bit of this
I don't know if Simmons did any of that...but Simmons doesn't know what happened behind the scenes between Rivers and Ainge. He said some shit out of anger and emotion that's not based on fact. And I know he wasn't always in favor of Doc Rivers, especially pre-Garnett trade

2203592, Great Kelly Olynyk story by David Locke
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Sat Jun-29-13 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZhfjHTzf5eM

Starts at 9:07
2207400, Olynyk ballin in summer league...hitting 3s and posting up
Posted by the_time_is_when_god...lounge, Sun Jul-07-13 08:01 PM