Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectthis summer league squad has some interesting guys....(swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2170724&mesg_id=2209153
2209153, this summer league squad has some interesting guys....(swipe)
Posted by Warren Coolidge, Thu Jul-11-13 11:17 PM

Chris Douglas Roberts has a chance to get some time this year if things go right for him...

I like young Wooliridge from USC and Elias Harris from Gonzaga.... with some work Harris could be a 3/4 guy...

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Lakers announced their official summer league roster and coaching staff on Wednesday morning.

Lakers assistant coach Dan D’Antoni will serve as the team’s head coach. Flanking him on the sidelines will be assistant coaches Larry Lewis, Mark Madsen and Clay Moser.

There’s only been one practice so far, but D’Antoni already likes what he’s seen from the group of NBA hopefuls.

“I know there’s enough talent out here that’s been as good as some as we’ve coached in the NBA,” D’Antoni said.

While the Lakers rarely sign players from summer league -- many of whom are second-round picks and undrafted players -- D’Antoni said a handful of guys would have a legitimate chance to make an NBA roster.

The challenge, of course, is finding the gem that slips through the cracks.

“As coaches, we’re putting in things to test them to see if we like them,” D’Antoni said. “It’s a little bit of an experiment. It’s not about wins and losses as much as it’s to see players and make an evaluation.”

Highlighting the 18-man roster are Lakers’ second-year forward/center Robert Sacre and rookie forward Ryan Kelly, who will not be playing because of a right foot injury he suffered at Duke.

At least one of the Lakers’ free-agent big men will be remaining with the team next season, as Sacre officially re-signed on Wednesday. The terms of the agreement were not released.

“It was a unique year, that’s for sure,” Sacre said of his first season with the Lakers. “I definitely saw more in one year than most guys see in five. It’s good to be a Laker, that’s all I can say about that. But my first year was a great experience, I’m glad I went through it. Now I can just move on and keep working on my game.”

Among potential training camp invitees, guard/forward Chris Douglas-Roberts, the 40th pick in the 2008 draft, and guard Josh Selby, the 49th pick in the 2011 draft, are the most notable names.

Douglas-Roberts already has a solid rapport with the Lakers, as he was invited to their training camp last season before ultimately being cut in the middle of preseason. He played in four preseason games, averaging 4.0 points and 0.8 rebounds in 8.3 minutes per game, and developed a solid relationship with Kobe Bryant.

D’Antoni said Douglas-Roberts was the player to keep the closest eye on from the roster.

Selby was named co-MVP of last season’s summer league along with Portland Trailblazers Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard.

“We have a pretty good group of guys,” Selby said. “We have a great coaching staff that’s willing to teach you the game. I think this is an opportunity for me to showcase my talents and better myself.”

The 6-2, 195-pound point guard has career averages of 2.2 points and 0.9 assists per game in 38 games with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Other players with NBA experience include forward Lazar Hayward (three years), guard Lester Hudson (three years), forward Marcus Landry (two years) and forward Jordan Williams (one year).