Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: well if mitchell cant play he wont count against the cap but yeah
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2170294&mesg_id=2186428
2186428, RE: well if mitchell cant play he wont count against the cap but yeah
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat May-25-13 09:04 PM
>I have noticed we have no young traditional defenseman. Those
>guys always seem to be the old veterans. I am new to the game
>so I dont know but is the way of the stay at home defenseman
>gone just like the good defensive catcher that will only bat
>.240? I agree on Scuderi. He will be hitting 35 next year
>though. Dont know how much longer we can expect him to lock
>things down. Greene is signed through next year. So we have 4
>solid dman for the next couple of years at least and 3 should
>be locked down even longer. That of course doesnt include us
>resigning Regehr. Enough for have 1 solid player on each
>pairing.

I think right now they would be looking to re-sign Regehr. He has been rejuvenated about playing on some bad teams and I bet he'd sign at a fair rate. Even if Mitchell comes back, you can't have too many guys that eat minutes, kill penalties and make good decisions. They will save money by swapping Penner out for one of their depth forwards, probably Pearson with Toffoli also making the team. Then again who knows what type of coin squeezing will be related to the new CBA at this point?

>The only veteran forward I would want to move is Stoll. I
>wouldnt mind trying to move one of younger big boys(King or
>Nolan). Nolan had a damn good start to the season. If he can
>be more consistent other teams would definitely want him.

I like Nolan's attitude but he's got journeyman written all over him. He runs around and hits guys, but he doesn't do much consistently. King, I have a hard time identifying what his strength is. He is big and he's good with his hips, boxes out and works the boards well. But he isn't a great puck recovery guy and beyond that, eh, he doesn't have much speed so his power is a less than his size suggests and if he were good in front of the net then he'd get himself a lot more power play time. I think both those guys will move on sooner than later.

Stoll on the other hand is a more valuable player than he gets credit for sometimes. The main problem with his reputation here is that he was being played as a second line center as recently as two seasons ago and that just is not his role. He's very good though, he just is not a big scorer. He is one of the faster skaters on the team and has very good closing speed, mainly because he's smart taking angles. He's super competitive, definitely likes big games and will bring a little subtle sandpaper to things. Guys hate playing against him. He's also good on faceoffs plus he is versatile. Good penalty killer, good third liner at even strength, he can play wing if necessary and he's got a hard shot to use up top on the power play. He just doesn't have great accuracy on his slapper or hands that are remarkable in any way. He'll never score a ton of points.