Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectJets and Bucs reach agreement on Revis trade
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2165579
2165579, Jets and Bucs reach agreement on Revis trade
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Apr-21-13 11:51 AM
Looks like pending the official physical it's all but done.

Fuck this shit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sources--jets-have-agreement-in-principle-to-trade-darrelle-revis-to-bucs-150815922.html

Sources: Jets have agreement in principle to trade Darrelle Revis to Buccaneers

The New York Jets have agreed in principle on a trade to send star cornerback Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay for undisclosed draft picks and the Buccaneers have agreed to a long-term contract that will make Revis one of the highest paid non-quarterbacks in the NFL, according to multiple sources.

Revis boarded a private jet Sunday morning to fly to Tampa Bay for an official physical, although the Buccaneers' medical staff is already aware of the results of an MRI exam Revis took April 15 when he returned to the Jets’ offseason program. Assuming the physical goes well, a final agreement could be reached by Sunday night or Monday morning.

“There’s a .001 chance this deal doesn’t happen, so I don’t want to say it’s done,” one source said. “There’s always a chance something could go wrong, but it’s unlikely.”

The Jets gave Revis permission to visit the Buccaneers on Sunday morning after reaching an agreement with Tampa Bay on the trade portion of the transaction.

The Bucs hope Darrelle Revis brings a title like ex-Jet Keyshawn Johnson did. (Getty)

As for the contract, the Bucs are well aware that Revis is seeking a deal worth in the range of $15 million to $16 million per year. Revis’ agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod, have told the Jets on multiple occasions that their client is seeking a deal in line with what players such as defensive end Mario Williams (six years, $96 million) and wide receivers Calvin Johnson (eight years, $150.5 million) and Larry Fitzgerald (eight years, $113 million) have received.

The Jets were in a bind for two reasons. First, owner Woody Johnson is not interested in paying Revis what he wants. Second, Revis can’t be franchised after the 2013 season, when he can opt out of the final two years of his contract.

Tampa Bay, which won a Super Bowl two years after making a similarly splashy trade to get Keyshawn Johnson from the Jets in 2000, have both the salary-cap space (the team is $28 million under the cap) and the experience with Schwartz and Feinsod. The Bucs signed wide receiver Vincent Jackson to a five-year, $55.5 million deal last season. Jackson is represented by Schwartz and Feinsod.

The teams have been working on the trade since the NFL scouting combine in February.
2165588, As a Falcons fan, I'm not liking that shit at all
Posted by Nick Has a Problem...Seriously, Sun Apr-21-13 12:18 PM
Our division is going to be tough this season.
2165630, As a Falcons fan, I'm loving it
Posted by Ray_Snill, Sun Apr-21-13 02:38 PM
he ain't getting away with all that holding in a Bucs uniform. matter of fact I would throw at him all game

<================================
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/raysnill1/2012falcons.jpg
2165708, if he's healthy? good luck with that.
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Sun Apr-21-13 05:13 PM
>he ain't getting away with all that holding in a Bucs
>uniform. matter of fact I would throw at him all game
2165613, awful, but it was inevitable I guess... at least gimme chris ivory
Posted by rjc27, Sun Apr-21-13 01:59 PM
back for that 5th and this deal at least has POTENTIAL (if idzik hits home runs with that 1st rounder) to help the Jets
2165615, Basically
Posted by RexLongfellow, Sun Apr-21-13 02:03 PM
This just sucks all around
Hopefully, Ivory can really produce and Idzik knows what he's doing in the draft

Thanks for everything Revis...you are the best in the league
2165622, Definitely worth the risk.
Posted by dillinjah, Sun Apr-21-13 02:25 PM
2165646, Kyle Wilson about to _____________
Posted by Kira, Sun Apr-21-13 02:50 PM
Revis will be on the trade block within four years when he wants another raise and the Bucs say no.

I'm just happy I don't have to hear about this all offseason. Roddy Whiteabout to have Revis looking like Fred Smoot.
2165657, risky business...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sun Apr-21-13 03:22 PM
..its rare to see such a move made about someone coming off a significant injury

esp for THIS kinda $$$

at best, this pacifies their defensive concerns for a year or 2 with a proven vet. worst case scenario, he doesn't return to form and the bucs are over paying when they could've drafted a younger/healthier player with potential.

(sigh)

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
2165773, None of the money is guaranteed
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Apr-21-13 07:04 PM
So it's risky but the Bucs left themselves a huge out.
2165934, reply #12
Posted by CyrenYoung, Mon Apr-22-13 07:11 AM

2165675, how the hell he get a deal with NO guaranteed money?!
Posted by CherNic, Sun Apr-21-13 03:52 PM
That doesn't even make any sense
2165696, yep the bucs won on this deal
Posted by IceburgSmurf, Sun Apr-21-13 04:54 PM
they gave up a 1st and at worst 3rd (2014) and can cut revis whenever he falls off. Can someone explain to me though why the jet still have 10mil in dead money from revis?
2165720, wOw...
Posted by CyrenYoung, Sun Apr-21-13 05:24 PM
..i didn't see that comin' at all

that definitely puts things into perspective on why the bucs decided to take the risk on this gamble.

2165752, You buggin because he got the Peyton Manning deal.
Posted by Kira, Sun Apr-21-13 06:14 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/21/revis-does-unique-deal-with-buc/

It's basically a paygo series of $16 million deals. He has base salaries of $13 mill a season to go with roster and workout bonuses.
2165936, how does this change the fact that none of it is guaranteed
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Apr-22-13 07:20 AM
2165938, how does this change the fact that none of it is guaranteed
Posted by Dstl1, Mon Apr-22-13 07:25 AM
2165946, I mean technically at least 16 is guaranteed, probably 32 at worst
Posted by rjc27, Mon Apr-22-13 08:03 AM
unless he falls off, and let's say he does, Tampa is fucked anyway because they gave up the 13th pick for a guy they cut in 2 years... but we have to expect he has at least 3 good years left, that is 48 mil guaranteed in 3 years!
2165683, Welcomes Revis island to Davis island
Posted by b2thej, Sun Apr-21-13 04:23 PM
2165731, Jets only get 2 picks? smh, thought were getting 3 picks
Posted by Starks dunked on Bulls, Sun Apr-21-13 05:43 PM
2165741, Jets might have the worst record this year
Posted by LBs Finest, Sun Apr-21-13 06:04 PM
2165749, GUARANTEED
Posted by HecticHavoc, Sun Apr-21-13 06:10 PM
good deal for the Bucs for sure
2165774, care to make it interesting?
Posted by KosherSam, Sun Apr-21-13 07:05 PM
2165945, I think they will scratch out 4-5 games, but I'd prefer worst record
Posted by rjc27, Mon Apr-22-13 08:00 AM
2165771, I'm gonna be fucking sick.
Posted by KosherSam, Sun Apr-21-13 06:56 PM
On talent and achievement, he is the best player in the history of our franchise. And from the MOMENT he showed how good he was, we've been underpaying him and dicking him around. The stupid Nnamdi deal changed everything, and we've never been close to an agreement since.

If Woody wasn't so fucking stubborn, we could have solved this 2 years ago. I can't believe we dicked around and pissed away the best player we've ever had.

But I *can* believe it, because it's the fucking Jets.
2165776, Not a great return but makes sense for Jets
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Apr-21-13 07:11 PM
The Jets were going to suck with or without Revis this year. And paying 16 million for a cornerback really doesn't make much sense for a rebuilding team. Now they can add a top talent with the pick and have money to sign someone next offseason.

I think the Jets were also smart to make the move now so they can have some time to work out another deal. I wouldn't be stunned to see them trade down and pick up a bunch of picks in the late first/second. (Maybe a deal with San Fran.)

It always sucks to lose a franchise player and if Woody and Co. hadn't been so open about not wanting to pay them, they could have gotten more but it was a move that had to be done and they got decent if not great value.
2165779, I don't think the Jets trade down. I think they go Defense/Offense
Posted by KosherSam, Sun Apr-21-13 07:17 PM
at 9, I think they go Jones/Mingo/Star based on which is left, and then at 13, go Geno/Patterson if they're still there.

With as many holes as this team has, they can take pretty much any two positions and improve.
2165790, I'd rather trade down than roll dice on Mingo/Jones
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Apr-21-13 07:52 PM
Barkevious, especially, seems like a potential bust. I was thinking Tavon Austin and then trading down where they could get solid talent at late first/second round.
2165804, I'm not sold on Mingo, but if Star or Jarvis are there, we need em
Posted by KosherSam, Sun Apr-21-13 08:13 PM
2165851, Yeah, if Star falls, he's a no brainer IMO
Posted by SoulHonky, Sun Apr-21-13 09:56 PM
2165947, really REALLY hope the Jets trade back, if not, just no qb's please rnd 1
Posted by rjc27, Mon Apr-22-13 08:03 AM
anything else I'm good with, and I really want Chris Ivory for a 5th... think he can honestly have a michael turner esque impact when he first got to atlanta...
2165964, I'd just as soon roll the dice with Marcus Lattimore in the 4th-5th
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Apr-22-13 08:28 AM
2165826, As a Panthers fan...i'm fine with it...
Posted by ChampD1012, Sun Apr-21-13 09:18 PM
And as somebody said above...playing in the NFC South is a little different than playing in the NFC East...

his pass interference calls will go up in the South...

The Bucs needed this badly...can't be one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL in a division with the Panthers, Saints, and Falcons offenses...
2165867, as a bills fan good news
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun Apr-21-13 10:38 PM
and the Jets are Lottery land ville.
2165870, Is it me or does it seem like TB's spent 200M over the past 2 years?
Posted by Beamer6178, Sun Apr-21-13 10:44 PM
their front office is putting in some WORK.
2165943, Man you talk about jumpin' for joy!!!!
Posted by hip bopper, Mon Apr-22-13 07:58 AM
...and we gave him NO guaranteed doe. All that's left to get is another pass rusher on D.
2165952, My thoughts...
Posted by rjc27, Mon Apr-22-13 08:17 AM
At first I was 100% against this move... my main feelings being that going either direction (1/locking him up long term 2/stockpiling picks for him and saving cap) will never lead to a super bowl win (because we are Jets fans, duh) I'd rather take option 1 and be cap strapped but at least have a hall of famer be a career Jet.

But as the saga went on, you get tired of it and are ready to move on. As much as I like Revis as a player, he attacks the run, is a true lockdown cover guy, he plays with insane passion. As a person, he's kind of annoying, dude was more concerned with matching his snapback to his pyrex manskirt then trying to get a deal done to stay in NYC.

Now he goes to Tampa, and I mean this with all due respect to Buc fans, but that is 1 franchise that nobody gives 2 shits about. And even though they have built a real nice team, that division is so competitive, the conference is so stacked, I'd be willing to bet a lot the Bucc's don't sniff a super bowl during the Revis era. If he ended up in the NFC East, or God Forbid the AFC east, or Denver, or Pitt, or B'More, or even SF, I'm bummed, but Tampa? Blah

Jets wise, I still think they should have kept him, because they have a ton of cap space next year when Sanchez/Holmes are gone BUT they did not so it's not worth talking about. I'm disappointed we did not get a 5th back because I was hoping that would instantly turn into Ivory. And Revis for a 13th/3rd/Chris Ivory has potential to be a more even trade. Still hope they get him. Still need to plug a few holes in free agency. Bring back Braylon to add a vet WR and add another Safety. Draft wise, anything but a QB round 1 is a win. I'd take a guard/pass rusher combo preferably, would not be mad at all about Tavon Austin either. Round 2 or 3 I can live with EJ Manual or Landry Jones if they go QB. Otherwise gimme a tight end round 2, safety round 3. No need to draft an RB when Chris Ivory can be had for a 5th and if healthy is just as good as any rb in this draft. Maybe Dion Jordan falls!!!

Sucking is 1 thing, but when you are on the way up and it falls apart this fast it stings, but we still have potential to be a really good defense (mo wilk/coples combo will be one of the big surprises of this year) so let's play it out, I just hope they win enough games this year for Rex to keep his job. If he does and they draft well this season and next they can compete again for a wild card in 2014 and hopefully get real good just in time for Tom Brady to be truly declining.

2165965, i can agree with this (though I think I'd be ok with Geno at 13)
Posted by KosherSam, Mon Apr-22-13 08:34 AM
but it still sucks to see the best player in the history of your franchise be sent packing at 27 years old.
2165969, Absolutely... It feels like something only doomed franchises would do
Posted by rjc27, Mon Apr-22-13 08:42 AM
Skins (champ bailey) Raiders (Woodson) as examples CB wise, both have basically sucked since.

All I kept thinking was B-More found a way to keep Ed Reed/Ray Lewis, Pitt has kept Troy Pol, SF/PWillis, Dallas/DWare, why do we have to be fucking team that is this stupid? The 1 team that refuses to undervalue greatness? I understand Revis brings more variables like his obsession with being paid 16 mil per year, but damn.
2166129, cornerback is a difficult decision to justify paying QB $ to
Posted by D_Tox151, Mon Apr-22-13 12:39 PM
>Skins (champ bailey) Raiders (Woodson) as examples CB wise,
>both have basically sucked since.

and nnamdi....speaking from experience as a raider fan, the problem when your best player is a CB, he only affects so much of the game. If your offense sucks and the rest of your defense sucks, his impact is marginal. plus, when you have other holes to fill and that CB wants the same salary as a top paid QB, its a difficult financial decision to justify.

you don't have to look any further than last year's super bowl...who were the starting CB's for Baltimore and SF?

>All I kept thinking was B-More found a way to keep Ed Reed/Ray
>Lewis, Pitt has kept Troy Pol, SF/PWillis, Dallas/DWare, why
>do we have to be fucking team that is this stupid? The 1 team
>that refuses to undervalue greatness? I understand Revis
>brings more variables like his obsession with being paid 16
>mil per year, but damn.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't remember any of the above asking for QB money? plus, none of those players are CB's.
2166133, RE: cornerback is a difficult decision to justify paying QB $ to
Posted by rjc27, Mon Apr-22-13 12:45 PM

>>All I kept thinking was B-More found a way to keep Ed
>Reed/Ray
>>Lewis, Pitt has kept Troy Pol, SF/PWillis, Dallas/DWare, why
>>do we have to be fucking team that is this stupid? The 1
>team
>>that refuses to undervalue greatness? I understand Revis
>>brings more variables like his obsession with being paid 16
>>mil per year, but damn.
>
>correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't remember any of the above
>asking for QB money? plus, none of those players are CB's.

u r right... that's why I said the variables were the diff, him wanting all that money clearly irked Woody Johnson to the point where this move was inevitable... especially since his asking price did not drop a penny after tearing his ACL
2166137, well, in two cases
Posted by will_5198, Mon Apr-22-13 12:51 PM
>All I kept thinking was B-More found a way to keep Ed Reed/Ray
>Lewis, Pitt has kept Troy Pol, SF/PWillis, Dallas/DWare

Baltimore and Pittsburgh have excellent general managers, not some lawyer "capologist" with no scouting background. Tannebaum burned this team to the ground.
2166159, lmmfao
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-22-13 01:24 PM
>Baltimore and Pittsburgh have excellent general managers, not
>some lawyer "capologist" with no scouting background.
>Tannebaum burned this team to the ground.
2166171, that's my whole point, dumb franchises allow this to happen
Posted by rjc27, Mon Apr-22-13 01:39 PM
2166175, RE: i can agree with this (though I think I'd be ok with Geno at 13)
Posted by adam, Mon Apr-22-13 01:45 PM
>but it still sucks to see the best player in the history of
>your franchise be sent packing at 27 years old.

Yeah, that's the really disappointing part. Hope he's healthy and plays well for the Bucs. It'll be weird to not watch Revis after getting to watch him mostly every week for the last six or seven years dating back to his days at Pitt.
2166139, The Jets are lucky to be done with this continual contract sideshow
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Apr-22-13 12:55 PM
there is no point for the Jets to spend a bunch of money on a cornerback currently in recovery from ACL surgery just because he's been a great player for you in the past.

This team is likely to have a whole new regime in next year anyway.
2166471, if its true that Revis' agent offered something like this years ago
Posted by ChampD1012, Mon Apr-22-13 09:58 PM
The jets messed up big time...

On paper, they are the worst team in the league...and it's not close...
2166842, who knows, if so he likely just asks for more, dude holds out every year
Posted by Bombastic, Tue Apr-23-13 12:33 PM
And The Jets being bad only makes dumping a guy for a first rounder & another pick (rather than making him the highest paid d-back in the league coming off reconstructive knee surgery) more of a must.
2166907, tho I agree they suck, they have the same team as last year
Posted by rjc27, Tue Apr-23-13 01:40 PM
and weren't the worst team in the league, I hope they are the worst this year so they pick first, but they won 6 games with the same team (Keller was hurt all year, revis was hurt all year) Landry is the only downgrade thus far

as far as the contract... the jets said they won't pay him 16 mil per year, a lot of people agree that's too much, buc's paid it... the non guaranteed money aspect of this story is a joke he will be there this year, that's 16 mil guaranteed, he will be there next year, that's 16 mil guaranteed, so theres 32, let's say somehow he gets cut after 2 seasons, that means he has fallen off and he still got 32 mil and they still lost the 13th pick
2166161, if you're a Jets fan, start planning for the post-tank
Posted by Dr Claw, Mon Apr-22-13 01:27 PM
same thing I did last season. it might be a good season TO tank (unlike this one for the Eagles, who are probably figuring out how in the hell they're gonna trade down)
2166473, They could get a new QB...but they'll miss out on Clowney...
Posted by ChampD1012, Mon Apr-22-13 09:59 PM
2166979, Revis ain't een good. Jets won.
Posted by PROMO, Tue Apr-23-13 02:54 PM