Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subject? about available resources to learn about advanced metrics
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2161602
2161602, ? about available resources to learn about advanced metrics
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Fri Apr-12-13 02:12 PM
hey,
i am a long time sports fan 'traditionalist', 'eye-test' kind of guy. but i realize that advanced metrics and this newer line of thought is something i am learning to understand yet don't fully grasp.

for you seamheads out there, are there any books or online resources that explain the valid usages of the stats and the changes to understanding strategy and gameplay that the stats offer?
2161643, Fangraphs, Baseball Prospectus' annual book
Posted by will_5198, Fri Apr-12-13 03:49 PM
I'm not sure about a definitive tome that explains every if-then regarding advanced metrics, but you'll start to understand the applications after reading their articles
2161645, What Will said, but start even more basic: 'Moneyball'
Posted by Orbit_Established, Fri Apr-12-13 03:55 PM

You won't regret it. Its a pleasure to read. FUN. I might
cop and read again just because

Read it because it puts the whole thing in context, which
is important.

It tells the story of Bill James and explains some of the
details of the data, but again, in the context of a real
world example

----------------------------

O_E: "Acts like an asshole and posts with imperial disdain"

"I ORBITs the solar system, listenin..."

(C)Keith Murray, "
2161680, Agree with that..
Posted by Szabo, Fri Apr-12-13 05:52 PM
and then look at how the philosophy of the As since then it gives even more understanding of 'value' from advanced stats.
2161748, i picked up Moneyball from the library a few years back
Posted by forgivenphoenix, Fri Apr-12-13 09:24 PM
but i didn't make it all the way through. i'll see if i can pick that up again and check it out.

also, i know you're more of an 'eye-test' guy from your posts, but are you up on basketball advanced metrics? basically all i know is from reading Grantland, but i'd be lying if i said i really know the proper context for understanding their meaning.