Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectthis weekend soccer post does not support the ideology of fascim
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2158363
2158363, this weekend soccer post does not support the ideology of fascim
Posted by benny, Fri Apr-05-13 11:37 AM
don't have any time to post listings like B9 used to and typically watch the games on DVR so won't contribute much to the thread but I thought I'd just get it started anyway if ppl want to share their thoughts... Premier League has some enticing games, from the Manchester derby, Everton/Tottenham and of course Di Canio's first one in charge. Bayern will look to clinch (again), and Paris goes to Rennes to try to add to their lead.

2158775, good win for Paris
Posted by nighttripper, Sat Apr-06-13 03:12 PM
with a fantastic goal by Menez. Hopefully thatīll be enough to convince Carlo to start him at camp nou.
2158868, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GmXvdZGGHI
Posted by nighttripper, Sat Apr-06-13 08:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GmXvdZGGHI
2158914, whatever happened to Gourcuff?
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Apr-06-13 10:15 PM
dude seemed like a lock to be the next great french playmaker and then nothing.

this goal never gets old to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-Y56PQlNI
2159009, he's getting busy being garbage with Lyon
Posted by nighttripper, Sun Apr-07-13 07:48 AM
I don't think he ever was a lock to be the next great...he had this one great season with Bordeaux the year he was on loan from Milan, when nobody really expected anything of him, then he crumbled under pressure when put on the bigger stage (ie with France). To be fair, he got hurt a lot too. My inner conspiracy theorist says he came back to earth once the effects of the 'roids/EPO therapy the Milan doctors administer wore off.

people did greatly overreact to that very goal, though. Zinedine was scoring one of those every two weeks or so, just getting one doesn't make you the next.
2158777, THIS is the Alexis we thought we bought
Posted by thejerseytornado, Sat Apr-06-13 03:24 PM
where has he been? can he show up more frequently?
-----------
It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.
2158778, unlike us, bayern actually steamrolled their league
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Apr-06-13 03:26 PM
crazy thing is they only allowed 2 away goals ALL SEASON.
2158779, Rosicky balled out but cotdamn were we fortunate to get 3 points
Posted by LA2Philly, Sat Apr-06-13 03:34 PM
Once West Brom made a double sub which included Lukaku and shifted to 4-3-3....our defense and team started falling apart (as has been the case all season whenever we're forced out of our comfort zone). Mertesacker with a dreadful straight red card challenge and penalty (he was already walking off the pitch before Webb produced the card) which obviously only compounded matters as our already shaky team was now one man down. If not for a couple clear clear cut chances (Lukaku came literally inches away from equalizing) that somehow didn't find the net, we're coming out of this game with more points lost due to a lack of composure and organization defensively.

West Brom surely deserved an equalizer but as it stands, we escaped with 3. Now if only Sunderland and/or Everton can just somehow hold.
2158784, lol @ Ramsey's point blank, empty net miss - so Ramsey
Posted by calminvasion, Sat Apr-06-13 03:59 PM
I just want two new CBs next year, lots on the wish list, but that defense is on some other shit.

Will take the 3 pts though
2158814, Ladies and gentlemen, Matthew Lowton
Posted by magilla vanilla, Sat Apr-06-13 06:31 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/video?vid=d75f9a5f-5cbe-419c-84e9-daebbbe183bf&from=foxsports%2Ffoxsoccer%2Fvideomodule-home

That's the goal of the season, certainly for Villa at least. Wins in four of the last seven, a modicum of breathing space from the dropzone, and the last time the club beat Stoke, "Careless Whisper" was atop the charts.
2158819, i've never understood keeper positioning
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Sat Apr-06-13 06:42 PM
only position i've never played seriously (loved it in practice though) so i can't relate.

like...if you ask me, i'm wondering wtf that keeper is doing.
2158826, I jumped up an screamed. For the next 9 weeks, I am a villa fan
Posted by B9, Sat Apr-06-13 06:49 PM
Our season is, basically? Done. So, I am a Villian for the rest of the season, for all the mind numbing lapses of defense mentality and occasionally brilliant Austro-Belgian offensive moments that happen. Let's go Villa!
2158863, damn, that was nice. even if the keeper was in no man's land.
Posted by nighttripper, Sat Apr-06-13 08:10 PM
not sure he could have got to that had he been on his line anyway

this Villa kit is really nice too. It's always been one of my favorite club color schemes.
2158876, Yeah, Macron really showed their ass on their debut
Posted by magilla vanilla, Sat Apr-06-13 08:47 PM
>this Villa kit is really nice too. It's always been one of my
>favorite club color schemes.

I'm a sucker for a collared footy kit though. And I even dig the electric lime green away kit.
2159556, I thought his positioning was fine
Posted by magilla vanilla, Mon Apr-08-13 11:22 AM
corner had been cleared, and while, yeah, you might want more time to react to a blast, you also want to cut down the angle so if he did go for power over placement, you have a better chance to cover the goal.
2160066, nah. you don't come out that far off your line.
Posted by nighttripper, Mon Apr-08-13 09:38 PM
that's the sure shot way to end up looking stupid like he did

to beat you from 30 yards +, somebody needs to hit the corners or the posts, in which case you tip their hat to them, but you won't get lobbed. As for anticipating penetrations, you're better off skipping a beat and staying on your feet anyway.

not to take anything away from the goal, because that shot was good enough to score even if the keeper had stayed in
2158994, Great technique and the rest is magic
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Apr-07-13 02:11 AM
Get your laces under a volley and let it rip.
2159006, i like how soccer fans get mega crunk for their squad
Posted by Binlahab, Sun Apr-07-13 06:36 AM
at the end of the goal cats was ready to rush the field they had to call in the cops to hold em back

do or die
2159542, That was for a few reasons
Posted by magilla vanilla, Mon Apr-08-13 11:14 AM
Villa have dropped the most points (i.e. wins/draws) in the last ten minutes of any team this season (and really, it's been a problem for the last FEW years). Stoke had just scored the tying goal 7 minutes before that. The quality of the goal was absolutely insane (my favorite reaction is the older guy in the blue coat who just points to the camera and shrugs with a shit-eating grin on his face when they cut to the crowd), but the goal itself was just such a relief compared to how the rest of the season's gone.

Hopefully that win was the turning of a corner.
2158823, From one Ben to another, thanks for doing this
Posted by B9, Sat Apr-06-13 06:46 PM
Really, we can all find the game listings and the rest is just exposition after a weeks worth of paper reading and podcast listing. Let's keep this up, but not let all stah ever. Ever. Make this post.

Ever
2158890, just here to big up the post title
Posted by bshelly, Sat Apr-06-13 09:13 PM
2159015, Sunderland playing well, under fear of imprisonment.
Posted by Buck, Sun Apr-07-13 09:38 AM
2159382, a better look at Menez' boss goal
Posted by nighttripper, Mon Apr-08-13 01:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtweyvzsJ4
2159765, this game is every bit as boring as i expected
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Apr-08-13 03:19 PM
i'd give a few points off this lead (we've got enough to spare) if we could play better in exchange.
2159788, Aguero just beasted for that goal.
Posted by Hitokiri, Mon Apr-08-13 03:36 PM
Super nice.
2159790, -_- sick goal. i hate this team.
Posted by BrooklynWHAT, Mon Apr-08-13 03:37 PM