Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectEspinosa is still likely the 2nd best SS in the organization
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2155752&mesg_id=2207598
2207598, Espinosa is still likely the 2nd best SS in the organization
Posted by Call It Anything, Mon Jul-08-13 12:16 PM
He's still under team control through 2017 and right now his arbitration hearing would not go well for him. I think it's worth exploring the possibility that he becomes the new Lombardozzi (spot starter, 2nd or 3rd bat off the bench, and defensive sub).

I've said it before but look at Adam LaRoche's line when he had a similar shoulder injury in 2011:

.172/.288/.258 3 HR in 177 PA

He got the surgery, did the rehab, and has returned to his career normals. Now if Espinosa gets the surgery and comes back to .240/.315/.415 with plus defense at multiple infield positions, that is definitely valuable.

If something of value can be had for him, probably worth a trade. But I don't think they should just dump him for fifty cents on the dollar. He's a 2-3 win player who is cost controlled. The strike outs aren't sexy, but I am still a believer.

Our best 2015 infield might be Rendon/Desmond/Espinosa/Zim. It would be hasty to flush that because of 2 (very) bad injury plagued months in 2013.