Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectMackey: Could Miguel Sano debut in 2013?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2155715&mesg_id=2203822
2203822, Mackey: Could Miguel Sano debut in 2013?
Posted by Walleye, Sun Jun-30-13 11:36 AM
An article like this that doesn't mention whether or not Sano is on the 40-man roster (he isn't) is just click-bait for Twins nerds. But Mackey does get credit for actually asking Terry Ryan. So, B- effort here.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Could_Miguel_Sano_make_MLB_debut_this_year_Twins_havent_ruled_it_out062913

by Phil Mackey
1500ESPN.com
Email | Twitter

MINNEAPOLIS -- Miguel Sano has absolutely lived up to his status as one of the top 10 prospects in Major League Baseball this season.

After homering twice and driving in five against the Reading Phillies on Friday night, Sano is now hitting .310/.403/.655 with 22 home runs and 64 RBIs between High-A and Double-A.

If Sano continues to progress, the common thought was that he'd make his major league debut sometime in 2014 - after perhaps being given an outside shot to win the starting third base job in spring training.

But is it possible Sano could debut as a September call-up this season?

The Twins aren't ruling it out.

"I guess we'll let him dictate that," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said Saturday in an interview with 1500 ESPN.

"And certainly it'll be a little bit of a situation of what's going on with the major league team as well. But he's got quite a bit to learn before you start thinking about that. ...

"His defense is better than his offense down there (at Double-A) to this point, which is good. I think anybody that's seen him realizes he's going to hit, and certainly in time I think he'll catch up with Double-A pitching. But his defense has been pretty darn good."

The transition to Double-A was a slow one at first. But through 17 games Sano has raised his batting line to .236/.328/.655 with six home runs and 16 RBIs. Sano does have 78 strikeouts in 73 games between both levels - a trend the Twins would like to see him cut down on - but his bat can't be too far from MLB-ready.

Stay tuned.