Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectStewart sounding signable, Eades on ESPN2 today
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2155715&mesg_id=2193249
2193249, Stewart sounding signable, Eades on ESPN2 today
Posted by Walleye, Sat Jun-08-13 07:24 AM
His father was making noise on the local news about how excited he was to start a pro career apparently. That's good news. The only thing I liked about the new draft regulations in the last CBA was the earlier signing deadline, so getting Stewart on a pro mound as early as possible is a good way to get him moving. Berrios is already hip-deep in a full season league, which would be an ideal path for Stewart.

Ryan Eades is starting for LSU today. Game is at six on ESPN2, I think. Get your scout on.

I haven't seen any experts try to reckon out a new Twins top ten, but I'm guessing Stewart is pretty likely to slot right behind Sano/Buxton with Hicks already graduated and Arcia/Gibson likely to graduate this year. Rosario is putting up one of the quieter great seasons in the minors this year at .332/.372/.520. If he stays there and scouts start to turn in positive reports on his defense (notably, Jason Parks of BPro is already saying it might not matter... he's an MLB second baseman because "he fucking hits") then it's possible he could challenge Stewart. That's a lot of departure from the top-10, but for the good reason of guys becoming MLBers. So, let's take a try?

1. Sano
2. Buxton
3. Stewart
4. Rosario
5. Meyer

That's a really strong top five if those guys stay healthy. I think all are good top-100 candidates. After that, we've got some murkiness from BA's 2013 list.

Bard and Kepler have yet to debut. I have no idea how close either of them are, but both probably need to show up in full-season leagues to make the list again. Berrios has been up and down in Cedar Rapids, which is fine for a pitcher his age but he grabbed the #6 spot based on an impressive statistical profile. He's sporting a pretty terrific 50:12 K:BB rate in 42 innings though, and he's apparently been hit hard by defensive problems behind him. A 2.35 FIP backs that up. Somebody who watched Cedar Rapids' last game noted some bad body language on the mound when it came to defensive lapses behind him. The Twins are going to crack down on that fast. No more Kyle Lohse. In any case, I think he's probably #6, but Eades, Baxendale and Bard could challenge with strong seasons because of their higher floor.

For our man Drizzit, middle infield remains a problem. Danny Santana has been "meh" in his AA test. He's a tough strikeout but just swings too goddamn much with only FIVE walks so far this season. I suppose if he turns into a top-shelf defender at short then we can wishcast some of that contact rate (he is hitting .290, after all) into a viable MLBer but nothing too exciting.

I'm more interested in the chance that Niko Goodrum could make an appearance. He strikes out too much, but he's a switch hitter and has a nice, strong walk rate in his full-season debut. At 6'3" and 24 out of 55 hits in 2012 going for extra bases, there's projectible power there too. Raw, but if he stops growing he's a real, live shortstop with a chance to do some interesting stuff instead of just passably occupy the position.