Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectProspect Roundup! Parks on Buxton, Rosario, Harrison
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2155715&mesg_id=2183942
2183942, Prospect Roundup! Parks on Buxton, Rosario, Harrison
Posted by Walleye, Tue May-21-13 12:20 PM
Jason Parks' writing is kind of a pain. But he loves tools and the Twins draft and develop them. The note on Rosario seems to be where most people are heading. We haven't talked about him as much as his higher-ceiling'd comrades, but I'm getting excited about a real, live middle infielder that the team developed. He's hitting .318/.359/.487 in Ft. Myers. I'd like to see more walks from him, but he doesn't strike out at a particularly high rate and the power still isn't going away like some people thought it would. He'll be more of a 15+ homerun guy at the MLB level if this all works out, but it's looking more and more like that will come packaged with 40 doubles.

I can live with that.

-Byron Buxton, OF, Twins (Low-A Cedar Rapids)
After a scorching start to the season (1.194 OPS in April), Buxton has cooled (somewhat) in his second month in full-season ball, but thanks to game heroics and flashes of his future brilliance, Buxton’s stock has never been higher. Equipped with eye-splitting tools, including elite speed and easy plus raw power, the 19-year-old is well on his way to being the top prospect in the minors. Buxton recently hit a walk-off grand slam that one scout source in attendance said traveled an estimated 450 feet and was launched off a 98 mph fastball. Perfect Game’s Justin Hlubek captured the event on video, and if you have a change of pants handy, please click this link and drift into a euphoric state. --Jason Parks

-Travis (Minnesota): Eddie Rosario a solid MLB 2nd basemen in a few years?

Jason Parks: Yes. He can do what major leaguers do: hit. I say this a lot and I'm going to keep saying it until they run my out of this position at BP: Do you know what good hitters do? They f*cking hit. Rosario can hit. It's the most important carrying tool, and he possesses it. Discount him for other reasons, be it his power ceiling or defensive skill-set, but he can put his bat on a baseball, and that's the game.

-Travis Harrison, 3B, Twins (Low-A Cedar Rapids)
Harrison was a first-round draft pick in 2011, and after an impressive short-season debut in 2012, entered 2013 as a player to watch at the full-season level. His ticket to the show is the stick, and the reports coming out of the Midwest League are promising; he has some swing-and-miss and can get aggressive in his approach, but the bat has legit thunder and has a chance to play, even in an outfield corner. Better pitching will challenge the hit tool, but with power potential in his game, he doesn’t have to be a .300 hitter to make an impact. He’s a long way from realizing his potential, but don’t lose sight of Harrison in an increasingly strong system. –Jason Parks