Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectStrangely, I find myself defending this signing
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2154954&mesg_id=2155652
2155652, Strangely, I find myself defending this signing
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sun Mar-31-13 04:15 PM
Sure, there is the occasional damaged goods flyer on a legend (Manning, Brees) but overall the FA/trade market for QBs is HORRIBLE. You're most likely going to overpay in assets AND then in money (see Cassel, Matt; Kolb, Kevin; et al).

So here they have a guy that does the job, whom they know well and who is healthy. Sure, in some "objective value" sense, Romo is grossly overpaid, but in the real world of getting and paying a guy who can start and make your team competitive in the pros, he's not. Competitive for a Super Bowl? LOL, no, you're not going to win BECAUSE of Romo, but if you did a mediocre job putting a team around him you could win some games WITH Romo. Only a few teams can really shoot for the Super Bowl, everybody still needs to accomplish something between that and irrevelance. They also need to sell tickets and merchandise. Even vis-a-vis a title, he gives them a better chance than other options most likely.

Plus, it's the Cowboys, so who gives a fuck about their money or their chances? Let them shoot for the middle.