Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectMuch depends on the manager right but we need a solid def core
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2139586&mesg_id=2140464
2140464, Much depends on the manager right but we need a solid def core
Posted by LA2Philly, Sun Mar-03-13 04:06 PM
That starts with replacing both CB's (today's game was case in point of how terrible both Per and Verma are in space...the recognition is utterly terrible. Yes, the midfield doesnt help because of how much space is allowed on the ball but there are SO many times where runs split the cb's way too easily or they just don't see them until it's too late) and adding a stalwart DMF. Arteta is playing out of position ans he's doing an admirable job...but we need that DMF who can choke space and then link balls for our attack.

In addition to the CB's and DMF, we clearly clearly need a clinical world-class striker. The amount of chances missed this year...it's mind-numbing man.

I like much of our personnel but we are just missing class in key key areas. CB, DMF and striker...three areas which impact every facet of the game and if shored up, would make the game easier for everyone else while providing some consistency on a team defined by inconsistencies.

As much respect as I have for Wenger...there are just SO many questionable tactics employed this year and the continuing problems and lack of pro-activeness are huge red flags to me, particularly on the defensive end. No one understands how and when to close down the ball, the zonal marking on set pieces has been utterly bad, and then times like today when you use a high line against incredible pace...knowing full well that your team doesn't close down the ball. There are some serious systematic issues that I just don't understand. That being said, I would definitely still like to see Wenger with some serious funds available to him.