Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectbut that's perpetuating an unacceptable situation
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2138525&mesg_id=2139218
2139218, but that's perpetuating an unacceptable situation
Posted by thejerseytornado, Thu Feb-28-13 02:21 PM
>Man, I know what I wanna say and i cant get it into words.

i understand (I think). edit: and i wasn't claiming you were homophobic, but the hypothetical nfl office in your scenario is acting as such. if it came across as personally about you, that's the flaw of internet board posting and not my intention.

>I just think if it was asked for a legit reason I dont see a
>problem with it, because I do feel it can shed some light for
>teams on what potential pit falls they may run into down the
>road. ie: constant media hounding leading to something
>unfortunate, mental fatigue that then translates to poor on
>field performance, more lying etc.

yes. it would help an enlightened team prepare for a coming out. but that's problematic because:

a. i don't believe for a second such a team exists because...
b. if such a team existed, it'd realize it should be prepared for all of that REGARDLESS of whether or not Te'o is the one to come out. because...
c. it's laughable to believe that there's no current or future player in the closet considering that other athletes in other high profile, highly homophobic sports have come out after retiring (and just in general, it's laughable that this one niche of our world doesn't have any gay talent).

the problem with worrying about those pitfalls you mention is that either the above is the better solution (just be ready for someone to come out) or you downgrade his draft stock because you don't want to take on those potential pitfalls, at which point, as an institution, you're a disgrace for being cowardly.

Basically, the "i'm not a bigot, but the media circus is too much to handle" is unfair and has the same end result as you (as in, the team) being a bigot. it's an unacceptable question because what is the desired end result?

-Te'o says no. ok, so nothing changes (problem)
-Te'o says yes, I am. Now what? And whatever the answer is--assuming it's not drop his draft grade (which is just discrimination, point blank)--why did you need to out him in order to do that?

-----------
It's only funny till someone gets mad. Then it's hilarious.