Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectLen's advantage over Zeller is his body.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2126276&mesg_id=2127159
2127159, Len's advantage over Zeller is his body.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Feb-06-13 05:31 PM
>Kostas gets 6.5 a game..in 20 minutes. While spending a lot
>of his time chasing the 4s that Faried can't cover and setting
>picks away from the basket on offense. His rebound rate is
>down this year but it was at 19% last year. Thats an above
>average big man rate. I dont see Len getting those 50-50
>boards and hitting the offensive glass that signifies that
>bamma rebounding gene but I may have missed it. With a weight
>program and some defensive teaching, Tyler Zeller is 90% of
>what Len is in my eyes.

Len wasn't nearly as impressive last year, cuz his body was closer to Zeller's. This year, he's put on 25-30 pounds... quality pounds too. His offensive rebounding percentage is better than any other rebounder in the draft, including Noel, Zeller, Plumlee, Bennett, and WCS. Considering this is his first year playing as a bulky big man rather than as a quasi-finesse big man, I'd absolutely take that as a huge sign of potential bammaness-- and at his size, that's money in the bank.

I didn't mean to hate on Koufos' pro career... but if you compare what Len is doing this year to what Koufos did at OSU... well, there's not much of a comparison. Koufos was raw talent not quite living up to potential, whereas Len is showing and proving. I think Len wears his bulk in a beefier way than Koufos. I'd say Len's ceiling is higher-- more aggressive at a younger age. (I realize it's his second year, but he's playing so differently than last year due to his new body that I basically consider it his first year, cop out as that may be.)

Edit: I also don't think he'll be a 30+ minute guy in Denver ever. Just doesn't seem to be what they wanna do. He needs a trade if he's gonna hit that double double potential imo.

>I'm with you on Noel. His quickness and timing is what's
>shocking. It's on Ibaka levels but with smarter usage of his
>tools.

What's amazing is how a game changes as it progresses. You almost ALWAYS see someone go RIGHT AT HIM early in the game once or twice, because, fuck it, he can't really be as good as people say, right? By the second half, they're totally avoiding the paint. The intimidation factor is second to none... and it comes due to his talent, size, and you're absolutely right-- the timing. So smart. So skilled. So scary.