Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectpossibly too soon for rational thought, but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2125388&mesg_id=2125481
2125481, possibly too soon for rational thought, but
Posted by colonelk, Mon Feb-04-13 01:51 PM
>The Good: -Our offensive line is a force. Our offense will be
>a force because of it. They stay relatively healthy, and is a
>pretty young unit.

Yep. I hope we are grooming or preparing to draft Goodwin's replacement.

>-Kendall Hunter, Mario Manningham, Kyle Williams, Parys
>Haralson will all be back next season.

I hope Hunter still has his burst. Our future Hunter/James backfield looked really promising as Gore fades.

>-Colin Kaepernick. If he improves at the trajectory that we'd
>expect a QB with his potential to improve...10 starts in.. we
>will be talking about him as a top 5-10 QB in the entire
>league in a couple years.

I think we can all agree Kaep is going to be exceptional. I think he's probably in the 5-10 range already. His mistakes--and there were some big ones--this post-season were all inexperienced rookie mistakes that are going to get better with more coaching and experience. At 25 he's playing about as good as Steve Young did at 29.

>-Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith, Ahmad Brooks are
>all under 30.

Aldon Smith is 23. And he better work on some additional moves this off-season. Maybe it was injury, but it looked like opposing teams figured him out by the end of the year.

>The Bad: -Justin Smith and Frank Gore aren't getting any
>younger.

Biggest heartbreak of last night was Gore not getting his ring. He might still be on the team if/when we win one, but unlikely he'll be The Man on that team. Pretty sure if he takes one in on that last drive for his 2nd TD, he's Super Bowl MVP.

>-Greg Roman has double agent tendencies

He and Harbaugh need to sit down and script their situational plays better. And Harbaugh needs to be more forceful about overruling. He admitted he didn't like that stupid pitch call from the Rams game but he went with it anyway. I have a feeling he was not crazy about those goal-line calls either, but he's ultimately responsible.

It will help having a full off-season and playbook designed around Kaep, rather than one designed around Smith and hastily adjusted for Kaep mid-season.

>-The cats out of the bag...Our secondary can be had.

Yep. Especially with a mediocre pass rush.

>Free Agents: Dashon Goldson, Issac Sopoaga, Delanie Walker,
>Randy Moss, Ricky Jean Francois, Ted Ginn Jr., Larry Grant,
>Clark Haggans, Leonard Davis, Tavares Gooden, Tramaine Brock,
>Darcell McBath

Gotta think we've seen the last of Moss, Ginn, Davis, and Brock.

Depending on who they plan on picking up in draft/FA we may have seen the last of Goldson and Walker.

>What are we looking for in the draft?

-D-line. J-Smith and Sop are old and declining pretty fast. No way Smith should play as many snaps next year.

-A kicker.

-Safety

-A TE hybrid to potentially replace Delanie.

>and everybody's favorite topic...What will happen with Alex
>Smith?

Hope it's the Chiefs. Andy knows QBs and it's a good fan/media environment. Plus, the long tradition of 49ers QBs going to die in Kansas City (Montana, Grbac, Bono).