Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectI blew both tires doing 200m repeats with teenagers
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2123982&mesg_id=2128144
2128144, I blew both tires doing 200m repeats with teenagers
Posted by Walleye, Fri Feb-08-13 11:55 AM
It turns out that I've got a bit more pop left in my legs than I thought I did, but that trying to open it up on indoor track curves (even pretty quality ones) isn't really in the cards right now. So I missed some time and am trying to add, add, add mileage again. It's hard when there isn't a lot of soft ground to run on, but I haven't added back much of the weight that I lost this past spring/summer (185 to 157) so I'm fine treading water until it gets a bit warmer. I don't have the same durability as I did when I was younger, but one fairly important ability that I've retained is being able to hold steady on fitness on just 20-30 miles a week for pretty long stretches of time.

The bigger question is what to do with that. I hate road racing, but it's becoming clearer that this is the best option if I want to pretend I'm still young and run a time that isn't embarrassing. On the other hand, I've always kind of wanted to have a real mile PR instead of the stupid one that I got from racing it once in college. Not a lot of 34 year olds have the opportunity to do fast stuff in real groups that I do, and I don't know how long that will last, so the latter is my preference but it depends on if I can turn it around and actually get in racing shape by May.