Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectShawn, I think you should head up a degenerate gambler segment
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2121688&mesg_id=2123236
2123236, Shawn, I think you should head up a degenerate gambler segment
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Jan-31-13 02:23 PM
with others input reviewing upcoming action, could be in blog or pod form or both once it gets rolling.

Something along the lines of 'Line Steppin & Ass-Bettin with Chinese Bol' or maybe just 'Line-Steppin' for a shorter/cleaner version (dual meaning Vegas/Charlie Murphy play on words).

Also, for a 'beyond sports'-esque storytime segment, I've long considering actually documenting on the page some of the crazier incidents of my life particularly from the teenage/borderline-delinquint era into vignette/short-story form so perhaps actually doing it as a contributor would give me the excuse to finally start doing so.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of "Bomb's True Beyond The Statute Of Limitations Situations" but breaking down real warts-and-all first-person accounts of things like:

-the night I accidentally chopped off my friend's middle-finger while on acid my freshman year at Northeastern U

-the Vegas-drive-gone-horribly-wrong that landed me in a Barstow jail then later stranded running from a coyote on the side of The 15 in the middle of a dark desert night while trying to find an emergency call box because my phone had been stolen plus car broken down.

-the morning after a party we left the gate unlocked which resulted in a Baltimore cop shooting my roommate's beloved dog.

- The morning 18-Year-Old Bomb in Freudian fashion'took a shot at the title' in a not-so-fair-one verus his beloved father but ended up breaking his own hand in the process.

- a walk-in-the-wrong-direction from a Bmore rowhouse party one Halloween that led to me ending up holding court on the corner at 2 AM outside the then-standing-but-now-famously-demolitioned-and-documented-on-The-Wire-clothesline-covered projects sharing beers , bumming Newports and cypher-spitting with about 20 or so businessmen/hoppers/residents while dressed in a Popeye-The-Sailor outfit plus having been glitter-bombed earlier in the evening.

-the time we attempted to break my foot and/or ankle with increasingly ridiculous methods one Friday while out to lunch in my junior year of high school so I could have a legit excuse to miss my winter-track invitational in New York where I was running three events to attend the party of the year that weekend instead.

-The 'Attack of the Stilettos Story' that I shared here in abbreviated fashion a few years back.

Anyway, that's a few examples to help give you an idea but these would be laid out with hopefully enough humor & panache that you don't need to actually know any of the principles involved to maintain interest & despite sometimes being a somewhat serious/twisted/painful situation they'd be played primarily for laughs with a bit of time-worn wisdom looking back.

When a chapter is completed it could later be introduced in a podcast as a companion segment either by the author recounting it (leaving it open for it to include others sharing as well but with me setting the tone so you better come strapped with some doozies if you wanna compete) or then once we've settled into audio-banter as things hopefully move along it could be more like a casual conversation where co-hosts can interrupt or ask questions for clarification or spin off a bit into something else.

Anyway, a lot of this spitballing might be easier done in email form or in my long-delay summit meeting with Longo, Ryan, etc out here in Santa Monica sometime soon so Shawn I'm gonna inbox you my contact info now and we can go from there.

Longo, holla at me on email, my dude. We got some shit to do.