Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectOther musings on podcast vs blog, pop cult + sports vs name
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2121688&mesg_id=2122401
2122401, Other musings on podcast vs blog, pop cult + sports vs name
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Wed Jan-30-13 03:24 PM
One of the reasons I think blogging is more powerful is because you can reach more people initially. Especially with the depth and breadth here---we could really balance the workload if we get enough contributors. From personal experience, i have a tendency not to dl and listen to podcasts unless they get STRONG recommendations from someone who I trust. Maybe people who stream have other experiences, but as someone who listens via DL on NY Subway rides, I have to know what Im spending time DL is worth it.

If we have the content it wont hurt to do blogs and articles unless we spread ourselves too thin and compromise quality.

In terms of pop culture in general--I dont mind discussing it--but I think the general tone and the common thread for us should be sports and (maybe) hip hop.

Kinda like the Combat jack show, the underlying tie is hi hop and the hip hop industry. Same with Get up On this if any of yall have heard that podcast.

Different guys will have different wheelhouses--bt i dont want to get too much into Grantland territory with the pop culture. My vision is sports first. i know that pop culture references can help viewership so Im all for it--but in our genesis I think we should stay more focused when possible.

Lastly any good ideas for names?

Ive been playing with the word Base-- it does have some pop culture reference (lil B), but also part of OKP lexicon (maybe more in GD), Base also has sports connotations, and also refers back to OKS as our "homebase"

base
homebase blog
baseblog
or if we wanna throw another shoutout to OKP and connection of sports, music: homebass instead of homebase

just some real primitive ideas, but Id like a name that encompasses what this board represents as much as possible without getting too inside jokey/too snobby smart (Grantland)