Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectRE: My few cents:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2121688&mesg_id=2121921
2121921, RE: My few cents:
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Tue Jan-29-13 04:37 PM
>First of all, sorry if these sentiments have been echoed
>earlier in the post, but this thread has gotten pretty big
>quickly.
>
>I think it's better to do it as a podcast. It's actually
>easier to do. Get like three people to record once a week for
>a set amount of time (probably max it out at one and a half to
>two hours). As Shawn said, make it the same core group of
>people each week, with maybe one or two "special guests"
>popping up after a few weeks. That gives the core team time to
>get some good chemistry. That's how other successful OKP
>inspired podcasts have worked out (e.g. Long and Late, Get Out
>the Room, etc.)

I think for me the podcast is the main feature and how I originally conceived the idea, but yea. One of teh challenges with podcasts is staying on topic and not going TOO long. It happens far too often with podcasts cause guys just get to talking.

Id like to have discussions around current news stories--butlike I said in another reply I think that is flawed just because the speed in which news moves now. It really only works if we do a daily show--and even then were behind--unless we record at like 11pm EST.

Im thinking of a hybrid podcast/radio show.

We want it to be undpredictable and fun in content, but I think we also want to keep it predictable in terms of which hosts will be on. Sometimes you have substitutes, and sometimes you have guests come in but you dont want to just cover the daily news headlines and be predictable.

Figuring out this core group will be key.

>
>I worry about doing it as a blog. I actually think we have a
>wider audience for what we write right here, rather than
>trying to start up something completely new. I don't think
>written content should be off the table completely, but I
>think it might be better to look at the site as "Come for the
>podcast, read the content while you're here" rather than vice
>versa.

I somewhat agree with this sentiment but just look above at all the ideas. We cant always record podcasts so it would be great to be able to put out ALL these editorials, weekly features, and articles using all these great ideas....or else a lot of this just stays in post form/idea form wasteland.

If we get as many contributors as people who volunteered above--even in minor writing roles--we will have a lot of content. This may be grandiose but I imagine Bleacher Report/yahoo sports contributors with much MORE ORGANIZED, and of course more well written content

The hard part of the written part will be the editing. Im not necessarily the man for the job because I'm not the best writer myself, I can see myself getting soft on something that needs to get cut when someone put time and effort in it. But editing is going to be a big part of the site.

Someone needs to figure out a formula/way to translate OKS posts into good written blog posts. Then we'd be well on the road.

But yea I think a White Thursday written segment and Asiatic Warrior watch would be fun weekly features...but that wouldnt be what makes us...

>
>Take it for what it's worth.