Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectInterest Level Gauge on The OKS Network: podcast, blogs, articles, etc
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2121688&mesg_id=2121688
2121688, Interest Level Gauge on The OKS Network: podcast, blogs, articles, etc
Posted by ShawndmeSlanted, Fri Feb-01-13 10:14 AM
Mods: Can I get an Anchor if yall see fit?

So I've been playing with this idea for a minute. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought about this while spending countless hours posting and arguing here.

On a basic level, we as a community, have the perfect resources to make this work:
-smart people
-smart people who are passionate about sports
-not so smart (but extremely funny) people who are passionate about sports
-good writers (im not one of them)
-Techy guys who could help with technical logistics for running/recording podcasts/running a site.
-photographers
-guys who are good on the mic
-dissenting opinions
-a slew of topics
-experts in every sport imaginable. We even have guys who know horse racing/poker
-we also cover every major region/fanbase in the US --except for maybe Utah.
-guys with a lot of time on their hands
-guys who arent just sports guys but have
-even though unofficially, we are tied by a bigger online community in OKP--so were not completely starting from scratch.
-I imagine we have a huge network if we starting looking at our individual 6 degrees.

All this seems pretty easy, but I know its not. I've seen so many similar ideas online over the years on various sites flop. Ideas seem great because they don't require work and deadlines so you get a bunch of people rallying behind it for a couple weeks, but then it all falls apart when the initial excitement drops when people actually have to do something besides their regular posting routine.

I mean to make this work-we'd have to find a way for this to be manageable for everyone interested. It wont last long if one or two people are trying to do everything.

I think we have the ability to do this but I guess step one is figuring out who is interested in contributing and how:

Why am I interested? Yall know I love sports almost as much as I love my firstborn. I spend a lot of time here talking about sports cause thats what I love to do. Ive tried a couple times to get a blog going myself, but I'm honestly just not that good of a writer and making deadlines on my own is like pulling teeth for me. But I actually love this idea--and the idea of making it a network for sports coverage that we would al enjoy.

Some ideas ive for it.
Podcast: I think this can eventually become the main feature of what we do. We could do a show pretty regularly. Im thinking 3-5 times a week. This would be a chore if it was the same guys doing it every night, every week, every season but I think with enough participation we could run a rotating schedule.

It would be nice to have 1-2 guys who could consistently "host" the show (albeit not necessary) and be more of the play by play/straight guy who keeps the show moving and on track. Kinda like Dave Jacoby does for jalen Rose.

Blog, with all the guys here it shouldnt be hard to get consistent content. It doesnt have to be a long article everyday. Game recaps, game previews, Sporting event of the night. analysis of gambling lines.

Then just articles. Imagine a good Walleye baseball piece, or a Vex boxing piece ( i know he has his own blog), but also editorial pieces like OE talking about good sports writing by DFW, or Basa's celing post. hell those could also be podcast topics.

I actually think sometimes podcasts and sports media spend too much time talking about whats current rather than focusing on more "timeless" topics. In the world of fast paced media, i sometimes dont wanna listen to the latest podcast that came out 3 days ago cause you guys are spending 75% of your show talking about Manti Teo, but Ive moved onto Tuesday and ive been bombed with Manti Shit since Friday.

We'd definitely need a twitter feed which several people could contribute to ...maybe even a tumblr or pinterest page where we post different categories of highlights not just from the night before--but our favorite... of all time and make that a podcast topic one day.

Anyhow, whos interested: what could you do. Inbox me if you wanna keep it private and ill see what we have. If youre in post a general sense of what your areas of expertise are:

Like I said, I love yall but knowing the online world im not expecting much---but feel like its a possible missed opp if I dont even try to wrangle this together.