Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectR.I.P. Earl Weaver
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2115036
2115036, R.I.P. Earl Weaver
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Jan-19-13 10:25 AM
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8859584/hall-famer-earl-weaver-former-manager-baltimore-orioles-dies-82

BALTIMORE -- Earl Weaver, the fiery Hall of Fame manager who won 1,480 games with the Baltimore Orioles, has died, the team says. He was 82.

Weaver was traveling on an Orioles fantasy cruise in the Caribbean when he collapsed in his room with wife, Maryanne, at his side on the cruise's ship at about 2 a.m. Saturday, the New York Daily News reported.

Weaver never regained consciousness, the report said.

The Duke of Earl, as he was affectionately known in Baltimore, took the Orioles into the World Series four times over 17 seasons but won only one title, in 1970.

His .583 winning percentage ranks fifth among managers who served 10 or more seasons in the 20th century.

Weaver was a salty-tounged manager who preferred to wait for a three-run homer rather than manufacture a run with a stolen base or a bunt. While some baseball purists argued that strategy, no one could dispute the results.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
2115044, My grandfather loved him
Posted by Walleye, Sat Jan-19-13 10:40 AM
May God our father receive him into the light of his presence and grant him everlasting joy in heaven.
2115045, a good friend of mine's dad was born and raised in Bmore....
Posted by Dstl1, Sat Jan-19-13 10:44 AM
absolutely adores the man. Even met him before. I'm sure this is hitting him hard right now as he grew up on Orioles baseball.
2115046, RIP. Thought he was immortal.
Posted by Buck, Sat Jan-19-13 10:47 AM
Lot of childhood memories of locally broadcast O's games featuring a small man with short legs and a crazed look in his eyes.
2115052, RIP to an absolutely classic manager!
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jan-19-13 11:17 AM
What a personality and what a beloved figure in Bawlmer. Of course I remember his old baseball games for PC, which I always thought was funny since at that time it seemed impossible to picture Weaver in front of a computer.

2115070, yo, Earl Weaver Baseball was the best, my favorite baseball game ever
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Jan-19-13 11:57 AM
of course I never really graduated into the later games because by high-school/college I was strictly playing NHL, Live & Madden.

But man I spent countless hours as a little kid/early adolescent playing Earl Weaver Baseball on Pop's Tandy PC.

Had all the old stadiums with the proper dimensions, tons of classic players going all the way back to the dead-ball-era & then I probably had my full Little League All-Star team inputted into that game putting up numbers.

That was the first game with real create-a-player-options I remember.
2115197, The old stadiums were awesome, I used to fuck up the Polo Grounds
Posted by ConcreteCharlie, Sat Jan-19-13 04:11 PM
2115238, yup, Polo Grounds was my spot too, pullin' line drive home runs
Posted by Bombastic, Sat Jan-19-13 06:43 PM
2115091, RIP to a guy way ahead of his team
Posted by bshelly, Sat Jan-19-13 12:19 PM
pitching, defense, and the three-run home run=pre SABR SABR
2115165, yall seen the avi & it will remain, RIP EARL
Posted by philpot, Sat Jan-19-13 02:45 PM
very fortunate to have seen him at the ceremony for his statue on june 30

pitching, defense & 3 run homers!!!

tell Flanny we miss him...
2115186, Favorite manager of all time
Posted by The Real, Sat Jan-19-13 03:49 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Money: http://jamesjenkins.acnrep.com
Save Money: http://jamesjenkins.acndirect.com
2115683, My brother hogged the computer playing his manager video game. RIP.
Posted by Lardlad95, Sun Jan-20-13 05:48 PM

"All the world's a stage,
And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;
And one man in his time plays many parts..." -The Bard
2115769, RIP
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Sun Jan-20-13 06:14 PM
one of the greatest managers ever and a real character.
2115798, Rest in peace.
Posted by Shaun Tha Don, Sun Jan-20-13 06:32 PM