Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectAndray Blatche is 9th in PER -- does this mean he's 9th most efficient?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2114487&mesg_id=2114717
2114717, Andray Blatche is 9th in PER -- does this mean he's 9th most efficient?
Posted by celery77, Fri Jan-18-13 03:42 PM
they're just stats with differing value as far as what they actually illuminate about the game.

or do I really need to start pointing out how some people view the black incarceration rate as a 'proof' about the 'black race'? because you and I both know there are people who consider that an 'insight.'

clunky analogy, I know, but it says what I want to say -- a stat is only as useful as the person who's interpreting it. 'true shooting %' might be an improved measurement from basic FG%, but then again show me a box score where one team shot 55% and the other team shot 40% and I can probably correctly predict who won an overwhelming majority of the time without looking at the score.

so yeah -- stats are only as useful as the people interpreting them. they are, in a rational approach, interpretive.