Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports
Topic subjectHow many "elite" rebounders are there in the '12-13 NBA?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=2114474&mesg_id=2114474
2114474, How many "elite" rebounders are there in the '12-13 NBA?
Posted by celery77, Fri Jan-18-13 11:27 AM
As the trade deadline approaches and every team I see talking about moves has to say "we're looking at adding a true 7-footer if that's possible, some size on the front line" I'm stuck thinking there just ISN'T that much size or interior grit left in the NBA. The days of Charles Oakley or Dale Davis existing solely to push guys around the middle just aren't with us any more.

Take a look at the top 20 rebounders in the NBA right now. JJ Hickson? Okay, he's a ball hawk with an A+ motor, but he's not exactly dominating the interior en route to a division crown. Demarcus Cousins? I mean if we subtract all the rebounds he might get boarding his own terrible shots, where does that leave us? And lord knows the Kings aren't 'good' because of his 'contributions.'

Rebounds Per Game
1. Dwight Howard-LAL 12.7
2. Zach Randolph-MEM 11.6
3. Nikola Vucevic-ORL 11.2
4. Omer Asik-HOU 11.2
5. Tyson Chandler-NYK 11.0
6. J.J. Hickson-POR 11.0
7. David Lee-GSW 10.9
8. Joakim Noah-CHI 10.7
9. DeMarcus Cousins-SAC 10.4
10. Kenneth Faried-DEN 10.0
11. Al Jefferson-UTA 9.8
12. Carlos Boozer-CHI 9.7
13. Al Horford-ATL 9.6
14. Tim Duncan-SAS 9.6
15. Tristan Thompson-CLE 9.3
16. Greg Monroe-DET 9.2
17. Marcin Gortat-PHO 9.0
18. Reggie Evans-BRK 8.7
19. LaMarcus Aldridge-POR 8.6
20. Larry Sanders-MIL 8.6

easily referenced #s aside, how would you rank the best rebounders in the NBA right now? you know, dudes you'd actually feel comfortable sending to battle if you had to make a fantasy team to play the Bad Boy Pistons or the Pat Riley early '90s Knicks.

My list:

#1 - Zach Randolph (pains me to admit, but...)
#2 - Joakim Noah (everything about his interior game is boss right now)
#3 - Kenneth Fareid (and I think he'll only get better)
#4 - Tim Duncan (yeah, he's old, but yet again the Spurs are en route to 50 wins)
#5 - Tyson Chandler (dude who knows his strengths/limits inside = invaluable)
#6 - Nikola Vucevic (who I've only watched once this year but he was def. a live wire inside)

aside from that, maaaan -- that list above has a lot of guys who get rebounds because SOMEONE has to (and obviously they're talented in that regard) but I just don't see them really being difference makers if they were playing in a throw back era where they had to compete with guys like Hakeem, Ewing, the Admiral, Oakley, Rodman, Dale Davis, Karl Malone et. al.

maybe I'm wrong and you can tell me, but that's how it looks on this Friday morning after watching the champion Heat knock off LA with Pau + Dwight by just jumping the damn passing lanes all night long...